Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Stomach discomfort, feeling thirsty/dehydrated  (Read 299 times)

Offline Dje

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Stomach discomfort, feeling thirsty/dehydrated
« on: January 06, 2014, 08:16:22 PM »
Hi all. Just joined the forum.

Before I discuss what's been happening to me over the last several months I thought I'd start out with some health history. I'm a 39 year old male.

November '10 I developed a condition which causes my hands and feet to get cold easily. In general I can't tolerate cold or sudden change from warm/hot to cool/cold. Right after this occurred I experienced 3 nights of muscle tension, achy type discomfort in my legs - mainly calves and quads. I went to the doctor several times and they ruled out anything serious, but I was never diagnosed. The closest thing I found was Raynaud's syndrome.

January '11 I started an exercise program which was suggested by the doctor. Physically things improved a bit, but I noticed a huge improvement in my mood. I no longer felt depressed or super stressed and anxious. Unfortunately that didn't last as I developed pain in my left abdominal area and was told I had a hernia. I stopped exercise and the cold feet got bad again and the stress, anxiety, depression came back. In April the strange muscle tension, achy pain returned, this time persistent. I also began to have various skin issues - dry, itchy, flaky patch on right side of torso; numerous itchy areas on various parts of body.

Spring of '13 I decided to start exercising again. I started taking walks, riding an exercise bike, light upper/lower body weight training, stretching. About 5 months ago I developed pain in the bone beneath my left big toe. I was concerned it might be a stress fracture so I cut back on my walks and then eventually had to quit. This resulted in increased worry, stress, anxiety and eventually I became very depressed. I really missed my walks outside.

Right around the time I stopped my walks is when my physical health took a nose dive. It started with waking up feeling very thirsty, the tip of my tongue parched, like I was dehydrated. My lips dry and the corners cracked and when I opened my mouth wide the corners split. I also had reddish, dry, flaky patches about the size of a dime below the corners of my mouth. I had diarrhea 3 times in the first couple of months. At some point I developed this skin issue on the inside of my mouth alongside the bottom row of teeth. It has a height about the same as my teeth height and about an inch wide. I can see these very tiny whitish dots. At first I though it was some sort of abrasion caused by my teeth or night guard (I grind my teeth something fierce at night). All of this freaked me out, but given the fact that my stress and anxiety had gotten worse as well as my health history I thought it was connected. I was hoping it would pass.

The reddish, flaky skin issue below the corners of my mouth has for the most part gone away, but I feel worse. The waking up feeling thirsty continues and persists throughout the day. About 2 months ago I began experiencing persistent mild to moderate nausea. Right around Christmas it changed to more of a stomach ache. My stomach feels all tense and knotted. January 3 '14 I awoke feeling very thirsty and had diarrhea for the 4th time since all this started 5 months ago. There was quite a bit and while going I felt a dull achy pain, I guess in my rectum. My stools have never been dark or bloody. Afterward the moderate achiness in my rectum persisted into the next day, though while it's less, I still have the feeling. On January 4th I had a normal bowel movement in the morning and then diarrhea in the afternoon. The nausea and stomach ache has affected my appetite somewhat, but I still get hungry and eat, though a bit less than normal.

Since then the dominate feeling in my stomach is the tense, knotted feeling, but I also experience the nausea at times. Sometimes I feel micro spasms in my rectum, though I'm not sure how to describe it. Throughout all of this my health anxiety has gotten bad, with thoughts starting with diabetes to now cancer, IBS, Crohn's disease, lupus, or some other autoimmune disorder or other horrible ailment. I've already been dealing with health issues for the last 3 years (well beyond that if I count sports injuries, chronic pain/discomfort from them) and the thought that I have yet another issue is becoming too hard to bear. It seems like I can't get well.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Stomach discomfort, feeling thirsty/dehydrated
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 09:28:18 PM »
I have been good about avoiding googing because I know how it can significantly increase my anxiety and make me feel unwell, but against my better judgement I looked up crohn's disease and seeing pictures of someone's mouth I am really scared that is what I have. I didn't go beyond that because this flush feeling came over me, I'm trembling, and I am a on the verge of tears. I've gone through this process - fearing I had some disease or condition - numerous times over the years, but from what little I know about crohn's disease I am terrified. This sucks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 06:52:54 PM »
So I feel a little better now. My stomach doesn't hurt as much and the achy pain in my rectum/perineum area isn't as bad. I had a normal bowel movement. I still have the thirst and parched feeling in my tongue. 

I'm wondering if the rectum/perineum discomfort is the same thing I experienced in 2006, another particularly stressful time. It might be symptoms of chronic pelvic pain syndrome, some of which I have experienced to a lesser extent than in 2006 over the years

Other than the nausea I experienced and now the tense, knotted, crampy stomach discomfort the things that have me the most worried are the persistent thirst and the strip of tiny pinkish dots on the inside of my mouth. I checked again and they aren't white, but rather a pale fleshy pink. Yesterday, what looks like a tiny blister formed on the inside of my mouth near my lip. It's doesn't hurt, just a tad sore feeling.

I'd appreciate any feedback. I'm calmer now, but there are times when the fear and anxiety get the best of me. I know stress and anxiety can cause a bizarre assortment of symptoms and as bad as I feel, I could deal with it being stress and anxiety and not some chronic condition. Could it simply be stress and anxiety which can resolve once the stress and anxiety abates?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:40:39 AM »
Tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment. I can't believe I let things go on for so long. :mad0228: I thought it might be just stress, anxiety, and being depressed, but I'm really scared now. Also, I don't have health insurance (another source of stress and anxiety) due to being without it when I had some injuries and other health issues, which then prevents me from getting it.

It sucks when you have all these symptoms and your thoughts are on all the scary things it could be. Hopefully things go well.  :pray:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: