Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Therapist  (Read 187 times)

Offline Floridagal10

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Therapist
« on: January 06, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »
Hi.

Does anyone have any suggestions on choosing a psychologist or psychiatrist.

I am looking to find someone to talk to and I don't really know where to start.

Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Therapist
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 07:27:51 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions on choosing a psychologist or psychiatrist.

Do you want to discuss only, or one that will treat you for anxiety or depression? If you just want to find out about the psychological underpinnings of anxiety or depression then any competent psychologist should be able to discuss this with you. But for therapy you should look for one trained in one of the cognitive and/or behavioural and/or mindfulness therapies and experienced in treating anxiety/depression. It doesn't matter much which of these therapies you pick as most therapists actually use much the same techniques. The more important thing is to find a compatible therapist, one that you can establish a rapport with, but who will push you towards your goals.

Because of the way insurance payments are structured few psychiatrists do therapy any more as they don't get paid enough. But they are the ones to see if you want to try meds.

Your doctor should be able to recommend a therapist or psychiatrist in your area.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:41:13 PM »
Hi FG...

Some four years ago, when I first started having problems with GAD/panic attacks, I started seeing a therapist through the human resources department where I was employed.  After she got to know me and my personality, she recommended a psychiatrist to me.  Well that was a perfect match.  Of course my psychiatrist knew all the psychologists in my area, and she chose one for me that specialized in anxiety problems.  Another perfect match.  You might want to check the Internet for psychiatrists/psychologists in your area, and then look to see if they have a webpage giving you some information on their background, and what they specialize in.  I know that my psychologist has a very nice webpage, and it indicates that her #1 specialty is anxiety issues.

I hope this helps.  Good luck in your search.  The best to you, FG!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 05:41:26 AM »
Click Here: http://www.psychologytoday.com/

In the section 'Find a Therapist', enter you zip code.  Your search will return a series of therapists in your area with their pictures and a brief description of their services.  If you are focused on anxiety disorders, my suggestion would be to find a therapist more specialized in that area.  Good key, search terms may include: cognitive behavior therapy, CBT, panic disorder, or GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder).
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline Floridagal10

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I (fingers crossed) found someone :).  I go on January 21st for the first appointment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mta214

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »
Wow, that was a quick find!  I hope it's a good fit for you.  Just as an FYI, I found my current therapist on psychologytoday.com.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: