Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Chest pain really, really (really) starting to get the best of me  (Read 348 times)

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
I'm gonna keep this short, but in the last year I've had 3 cardiac panels, 3 EKG's, a 30-day event monitor.  16 months ago I had an echocardiogram, and in 2010 a stress test.  All normal...even great.  Still, I get (and currently have) horrible chest pain.  It burns, feels like intense pressure, dominates my thoughts and distracts me from enjoying life.  I've done chiro (helps), physical therapy (helps), I take an acid-reducer...nothing seems to fix it.

As I type this, I feel like I'm a dead man walking.  I'm not stressing about it, I'm not freaking out, it's just a fact.  It wears on a guy.

*sigh*
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Lo213

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Chest pain really, really (really) starting to get the best of me
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »
I'm right there with you. I had an echo done a few years ago, and (in addition to the countless ekgs and blood tests) had a stress test about 3 months ago. For me it's chest pain, as well as left arm/shoulder/jaw pain, back pain, sweating....pretty much anything I've ever read as being potentially cardiac related. I'm *sure* that they're missing some sneaky blockage that will be the end of me any day now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:43:42 PM »
Me too.   And, if you read enough about heart problems (as I do) you will come to find that there is almost NO symptom that hasn't, at some point in time, preceded a heart attack or other heart problem.  I have had them all. 

I feel you on the exhausting part.  Those three weeks must have been amazing for you: )  I really cherish those anxiety free times.
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 07:47:36 PM »
Weg - I'm not dealing with classic chest pain but I am dealing with RUQ pain that sometimes radiates to my chest. All my tests are normal too. I went to the doc last week and he asked me how my mood has been and I told him - "I would be fine if I wasn't dealing with this constant pain." It definitely does wear on you. It sucks. I feel your pain. Literally and figuratively!
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Lovemydogs

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 08:55:34 PM »
Ughhhh that is the reason I'm here. Except I really let it take me over. I don't know were it comes from, but I get it all the time.  I just like you have had many test, all fine, thank goodness, but I swear they are missing something. Just know your not alone. Hope you feel better.  :sad0126:
Bookmark and Share
😳

Offline wegngis

Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 06:52:54 PM »
Thanks all for your thoughtful responses.  It makes it just a bit better knowing others are struggling with the same issues.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:59:35 PM »
Well I think it is safe to say your heart is fine. You probably just have a bit of a spastic diaphragm and when your belly fills with food it puts pressure on the nerves/veins so what you are feeling is harmless referred pain from that (and also probably a little bit of some harmless stomach inflammation). You probably have tense chest or back muscles and that is causing you to feel chest pain. You could even have some inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs, or a minor little bronchospasm. None of these things will harm you but if you don't take charge it will continue to bother you. Lose weight and abdominal girth so as to relieve pressure on the diaphragm. Avoid greasy fatty foods and avoid snacks high in fat content. Heat your drinks. Cold drinks can disrupt normal peristaltic waves and for some people it causes pain. Avoid chocolate, beer, wine and mints if they bother you or at least limit them.  Elevate head of bed and don't lay down after you eat. Stretch every day and exercise if you can. Apply heat to your chest when it hurts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »
My boyfriend has chronic chest pain and he has a deteriorating disk in his neck that causes it.. Have you checked that?
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline psychopika

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 04:54:24 AM »
I feel you. I'm dealing with a chest pain as well and it's been almost 2 months and feels like it's never going to end. I feel depressed and resigned, convinced that I probably have a lymphoma in my chest that presses on the nerves around.

My pain is more like an unpleasant sensation/discomfort inside my chest, at the right side of the sternum, that sometimes becomes more intense for a few minutes and then gets dull and burning. It gets more pronounces sometimes when swallowing and once when I vomited it felt like my esophagus rubbed against something painful as it was contracting. Also the pain radiates to the back.

I can't even have a chest X ray because I'm trying for a baby and I might be pregnant. But honestly, it scares the s**t out of me to have one anyways because I think a huge lymphoma will show up and ruin my life. :(

I get a little solace in the fact that many people who suffer from anxiety get all sorts of weird pains and maybe, just maybe there's a chance for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 04:50:06 PM »
Lose weight and abdominal girth so as to relieve pressure on the diaphragm. Avoid greasy fatty foods and avoid snacks high in fat content. Heat your drinks. Cold drinks can disrupt normal peristaltic waves and for some people it causes pain. Avoid chocolate, beer, wine and mints if they bother you or at least limit them.  Elevate head of bed and don't lay down after you eat. Stretch every day and exercise if you can. Apply heat to your chest when it hurts.

I've lost about 40lbs, so that's good.  I don't eat greasy fatty foods, ever.  Heated drinks seem to kill me worse that just tap-water cold.  I don't eat chocolate, drink beer or wine, or sugar of any kind.  So, I hear ya.  I'm trying, it's just not working.   :(

I've also had and MRI on my whole spine, nothing dramatic to report other than normal aging.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stockwiz

• Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 04:54:12 PM »
I had a cardio CT scan, also known as a CT angriogram, with a very high resolution scanner that showed no blockages and no incidental findings.  Whatever I have, it can't really be from blockages and does in fact seem to be related to adrenaline buildup in the body. I wouldn't have believed it but I can't deny the results of the scans and the pictures that I see.

You mention that you take acid blockers to try to fix the  burning... well then it's probably your stomach, not your heart.
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »
You mention that you take acid blockers to try to fix the  burning... well then it's probably your stomach, not your heart.

The thing about it is, it doesn't really help.  Or maybe it does.  It seems very random.
Bookmark and Share

Offline treadstone

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 05:41:12 PM »
Hey Weg, I feel you on your chest pain problem. I'm now going on six months of near-constant chest discomfort. It absolutely destroyed the latter half of 2013 for me and unfortunately 2014 has gotten off to a terrible start too.

I don't know if my pain is like yours at all. Mine sort of feels like a weird tearing, or like there are splinters of wood or glass stuck somewhere in my chest area - esophagus, lungs, heart? When it gets real bad, it can feel very uncomfortable to talk, breathe deeply, or cough. The one thing that's kept me from panicking and running to the hospital is that I can sort of interact with and change the pain by tilting my head around and rocking my body around as I sit. I don't believe you can do that with heart pain, but I could be wrong. I don't feel like checking. :(

My biggest challenge recently is knowing when the anxiety ends and the 'real' problems begin. I continue to believe, at least in part, that the pain is real and the anxiety is a response. That's what it feels like. But from what I've read, I need to wholly believe that the anxiety causes the pain, even when it comes about while I'm feeling relaxed. It seems unfair that anxiety can do these things even from 'beyond the grave', when it seems to be under control or away for a while.

I'm just trying to deal with it as best I can while I save up money to see a doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 06:31:41 PM »
Mine feels like all kinds of things, but really like a pressure like someone trying to slowly pull my heart right out of my ribcage.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 01:52:34 AM »
Mine feels like all kinds of things, but really like a pressure like someone trying to slowly pull my heart right out of my ribcage.

I have had this. Had it so bad that it felt like meat hooks ripping my chest apart.  It was burning; it was pressure; it was a twisted, torqued feeling.  It was more than a feeling: my entire torso was torqued from anxiety and stress. I was fighting it so much I distorted all my torso muscles into one horrible knot.   It is was very distressing, as it was with me standing, walking, sitting.  It decreased when sleeping.

You seem to have an understanding of anxiety illness.  Can you accept that this is a distressing but not dangerous symptom?  Can you substitute an insecure thought for a secure thought?  Can you be self-led and not symptom led?  Can you do what you fear to do, or do the symptoms hold you prisoner? 

This problem is nasty, because it is one that goes, literally, right to the heart and lungs and center of a person.  Been there.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: