Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can one SSRI experience change your brains reaction to medication??  (Read 174 times)

Offline DaveM

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I've been having the strangest experience.

I took Paxil for 3 days in October of 2012 to deal with GAD, and had just terrible reactions to it. For a few weeks before that, I experimented with limited success, with 5HTP and St.Johns Wort. Neither had notible side effects just sort of took the edge off.

My 3 days on Paxil went like this:

Day 1: Felt like I was on speed, manic
Day 2: Felt like a zombie, floaty and calm
Day 3: Ended with my first identifiable panic attack

Swore off the stuff. Got into an exercise routine a few months later and felt great for almost all of 2013. But something I started to notice last year, was that ANY medicine or herbal suppliment that I took caused similar over-stimulated / panic attacks. But I dealt with it.

Until the anxiety hit again this October manifesting with my first bout of hypochondria. I went to every doctor I'd been ignoring (except dentist, still building up to that even though I'm dying of a tooth infection in my brain). Got antibiotics---took them one night and couldn't take them again. Had an MRI for head tension and tingling, all that.

Got Valerian root to help me sleep...never again. Took 2 B Complex vitamins, had what I think was a Niacine reaction w/ burning skin, etc.

So this culminated after about 4 months now. My persisting 'anxiety symptoms' are constant ear/head pressure and eye tightness, intrusive thoughts, etc.. I took some St Johns Wort last night, which I took previously in 2012 with NO side effects.

I also decided it was a good night for Brie cheese and a whiskey drink. I felt ok, until waves of excitability started coming over me. I started to Google for possible side effects, of course increased anxiety was one. Possible MAOI interactions with guess what? Aged cheese!!! was another (just my luck eh?)

Further reading confirmed that this was based on ONE SINGLE case study of a guy on SJW who went to the hospital dizzy and confused, and told them he just had red wine an aged cheese. Nevertheless by heart started beating out of my chest, full blown panic, my wife calmed me down, but the rest of the night was strange.

Trying to sleep, I had intermitent, spontanious panic/excitablility episodes, drifting to sleep I had moments that my limbs dissapeared or my head pressure got 10x worse (moving my head or limbs confirmed that neither was true).

None of these symptoms existed before my episodes with Paxil.

Is it possible that through that expierience my brain opened new 'pathways' to deal with anxiety? Panic attacks have NEVER been a part of my coping until I took it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can one SSRI experience change your brains reaction to medication??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 05:21:04 PM »
Nope, it doesnt work that way. Hoenstly it sounds like you're just in a positive feedback loop, generating the anxiety issues due to fear of medicines.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaveM

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can one SSRI experience change your brains reaction to medication??
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:40:32 PM »
Nope, it doesnt work that way. Hoenstly it sounds like you're just in a positive feedback loop, generating the anxiety issues due to fear of medicines.

Thanks for the reply...that's actually the GOOD answer I guess!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: