Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Swollen lymph nodes in armpit  (Read 990 times)

Offline Elodiah

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Swollen lymph nodes in armpit
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:12:49 AM »
Hi, I haven't been here in a really long time as I've been managing my HA so well for many months now.

I'm still doing okay, but I'm asking about this in here as I know I will get more calm and informed responses than Dr Google can offer me, which will help me keep HA at bay.

I am 31 weeks pregnant, and a week ago I noticed that one of the nodes in my armpit was swollen (pea-size) and tender. It stuck around for maybe about three or four days, then went back down again. A day or so later, I woke up with another lymph node adjacent to that one, also swollen and tender. This was just over two days ago. This afternoon I was gently prodding it to see if it had done anything, when I discovered ANOTHER swollen and tender node further up my armpit near the top crease!

I have absolutely no signs of infection, no breast tenderness, and I feel perfectly fine. Is it possible that these suddenly swollen nodes could be caused by something to do with the pregnancy, like hormones or milk ducts?? I have had the occasional reactive axillary node last year prior to becoming pregnant, but I had a breast ultrasound in late July that showed nothing at all sinister in my left breast, and my nodes were normal.

I am seeing my obstetrician in three days, so I will ask him about it then, but I guess I'm hoping to get some reassurance until then to tide me over. ;)
Bookmark and Share
KRYTEN: Are you of the school that, when faced with bad news, prefers to hear that news naked and unvarnished, or are you of the ilk that prefers to live in happy and blissful ignorance of the nightmare you're facing?
RIMMER: Ignorance, every time.

Offline CrazyQuacker75

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Swollen lymph nodes in armpit
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 03:00:32 AM »
Tender and pea-sized is normal
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Offline Elodiah

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »
Really? Is it normal that I keep getting them one after the other though?  :(

I went to my ob appt yesterday, but I didn't end up telling him about it, as they'd all settled down and the only one I still had (swollen node #4!) I was convinced was just an ingrown hair or a small cyst or something. But this morning upon further examination, I realised that it feels like a lymph node too, and now I seem to be getting #5 just below it, and maybe even #6 in the hollow of my armpit. This is ridiculous. I'm going to give it the weekend and see what happens, but if they're still there or I'm getting new ones my Monday, I'm going to my GP. Just hope she doesn't send me for ANOTHER freaking ultrasound, I've had too many in the past couple of years that I'm sick of them!
Bookmark and Share
KRYTEN: Are you of the school that, when faced with bad news, prefers to hear that news naked and unvarnished, or are you of the ilk that prefers to live in happy and blissful ignorance of the nightmare you're facing?

Offline john55

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 06:36:11 PM »
probably just a small virus or something. since you are pregnant i would tell the doc just to make sure its ok.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Elodiah

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 05:46:12 AM »
Thanks, I hope so. I'd feel "better" about it if there was some sign that I wasn't well or had an infection, but there's just nothing, only these stupid nodes that keep flaring up one after the other...  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 05:49:58 AM »
As long as it is tender, it should be fine. :) I know a lot of people who even had hard lymph nodes that turned out to be nothing :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Elodiah

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 07:02:20 AM »
Thanks burgundy. :) They've all been tender to start with, I think, before they start going down. The two bigger ones I have right now (#4 and #5) have been annoyingly tender all day.  >:( The only one that hasn't been (yet?) is #6 in my armpit hollow. We'll see what that one does over the next day or so!  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 07:24:48 AM »
I've had armpit lymph nodes get tender before. Several years ago I was experiencing pain deep in my left armpit. I started pressing my left thumb into my armpit with my arm pinned to my side like a chicken wing. That's when I noticed several blueberry size lymph nodes. A couple were a little tender, but that wasn't the main source of pain. I quickly checked my right armpit with my right thumb and had difficulty palpitating as many. The ones I found were pea size. In that instant my mind went to cancer, lymphatic cancer. The pain deep in my armpit was the confirmation. I spent the next several days thinking I might have cancer.

I went to the doctor and she palpitated my armpits and said that she couldn't feel anything troublesome. That I was fine. Trouble was, the only way I was able to really feel them was with my left thumb and arm pinned to the side. She had checked with my arm straight out to the side. I eventually went to my mom's doctor and he found nothing as well. By this time I was experiencing some discomfort in my shoulder blade and lat area and it turned out that I had a RSI from rowing. The pain deep in my armpit was from overuse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Elodiah

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 09:47:36 PM »
Definitely heading to the GP tomorrow. #4 has almost completely gone down, but today #5 is big enough to be visible, and the skin there looks a little pink too. Plus it looks like #6 is now developing lower down too... which COULD be the same node that was #1, but I can't even remember the exact location of that one now!

I'm still remaining pretty calm... quite proud of myself. A year ago I would have been in complete and utter meltdown mode.

I had a thought too.. the first node flared up about 3-4 days after having my first anti-d injection (for my pregnancy, as I'm O neg). I can't find ANYTHING on google to suggest that anti-d can affect your lymph nodes at all, but I'm starting to wonder whether it could be some strange reaction to the injection.  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 08:04:11 AM »
Could also be a clogged sweat glad.  I get them a lot.  Doc says to wash my armpits with Hibaclense (sp?) once a week and when they flare up, take a wash cloth soaked in hot water and hold it to your arm pit - will help reduce them.

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: