Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How to stop thinking about anxiety?!  (Read 369 times)

Offline SummerSun41

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How to stop thinking about anxiety?!
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:15:45 PM »
I'll start off by saying that my GAD started with purely physical symptoms back in the spring of '13, basically went away during the summer, and then reappeared in the fall with more mental symptoms that I had never experienced. I've struggled with intrusive obsessive thoughts, derealization, a little existential anxiety, and just general brain fog and constant worrying about my anxiety and the future. It's bothersome because it's started to take up a lot of my thoughts. I don't even know how to describe it, but it's like I think to myself, "Ok well right now, am I anxious? How do I feel? Am I truly happy? What if this gets worse and I get depressed?" And it keeps spiraling out from there. I honestly think that if I could forget I was diagnosed with GAD then I wouldn't even worry about it at all! I worry a lot about being alone in my future house with my future husband (he works nightshify so I'll be alone most of the evening and all night), and I think that's part of it. I just want to learn how to stop worrying about everything! Maybe it's because I'm not really sure where I'm going with my career choice or maybe it's because I'm afraid to move out, but thinking about the future scares me, too. Has anyone else dealt with this type of anxiety and gotten through it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline scb07d

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How to stop thinking about anxiety?!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 11:11:25 PM »
You can't "learn how to stop worrying." That's the trick. You have to reach a point where you accept how your brain functions and roll with the punches, so to speak. If you can work towards this kind of acceptance, anxiety may have less power over you. Happiness is illusory. The more we chase it, the more it controls us. You can of course try medication of some kind, but who knows if that'll give you what you're looking for. People get into trouble with anxiety because they focus on the symptoms too much and put off other things in life. But if you keep focusing on the physical actions in the environment that are important to you, and accept anxiety, you can probably avoid a lot of more serious psychological suffering.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivingLife

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:34:52 AM »
Hey you again!!! haha as you probably already know I have similar problems as you, my obsessions are about my emotions, how I might not be able to tolerate my thoughts any more, obsessing about obsessing, *****, depression etc... So as my new years resolution I decided to meditate 15 min a day, my psychologists has been telling me to do this for the past 6 months and I just started 2 days ago. I also think an exposure type of response would help us, maybe just tell ourselves something like "maybe I'am depressed" and keep repeating these things until it gets boring.
Bookmark and Share

Online ericdrobertson

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »
As I was reading your post I thought that I was reading one that I put up before haha. I struggle with the exact same symptoms. I have a constant derealization ( everything feels strange and unfamiliar) and I am also afraid of developing depression so I am constantly analyzing my feelings and symptoms. I also have though that if I had never even known what GAD was that a lot of my struggles wouldnt be so bad. I have found that first off, you can come to a place where you dont feel ruled by GAD. Secondly, finding a hobby would help tremendously. I am currently working a job that requires a lot of attention so I do have times where I forget about my anxiety and just live my life. I want to take up something like car or truck restoration. I am getting married in 9 months and I am constantly afraid that I am going to ruin the relationship and the word "divorce" is an instant panic word. I have talked to my fiance a little about this and have realized that I have a good girl who wont give up on me which brings me comfort. The derealization is very hard but it comes and goes. I just have to stay occupied and when I am not doing anything I try to make a cup of tea and sit back and watch my favorite show or whatever will keep my relaxed. You'll be just fine. One thing I wish I could do is seek counseling but I lack courage right now to reveal the extent of my problem to my parents or others. Pray for me on that one :) But Like I said, you'll be alright.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SummerSun41

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:44:20 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. I have definitely found that if I stay occupied and distract my mind with other things, I am totally fine! I have faith that this will pass just like the other symptoms, and it's helpful to know I'm not alone. If any of you ever want someone to talk to, feel free to message me :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivingLife

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:31:26 AM »
As with most people with OCD, GAD, obsessions etc... I feel like your at your worst when your "alone with your thoughts" or not distracted. With me I'm 100% normal when I'm half way through a conversation with a friend or family, or half way through my workout at the gym, or at a club etc... Because my focus is completely on the present moment. Which is also kinda proves that there isn't really anything wrong with us other than our emotions are a little skewed more than the average human being which makes us ultra sensitive to a lot of things most of it being irrational like your obsessions. With me it's as if I'm afraid of the thoughts that are in my head, at time I want to run away from my thoughts but I know that's impossible because there always a part of me. Some thoughts that strike hard for me are "What if I'm stuck with these thoughts forever", "what if I become hopeless" etc.. As I said in my last post that my psychologists has been telling me to practice meditation for 15 minutes a day every day. I just wanted to describe what he wants me to do and why it helps, and how I thinkk I've already made a slightttttt improvement in just the 3 days I've been practicing.

So what he has me do is a form or meditation (forgot the actual name) where you literally just sit there in a quiet room and do absolutely nothing. You just sit there and observe whatever it is and whatever is happening without trying to control anything. So it's not like a traditional meditation where you solely focus on your breath, or a specific object, mantra, thought etc... Your just learning to be aware of moment by moment happenings. Whether it's a thought, sound, visual thing, feeling, smell, emotion whatever grabs your attention. Do not try and control anything, if you have a song stuck on your head and can't get it out, just let it be there. Your observing moment by moment without judging. He says this will help you be more aware of your thoughts and where there coming from, and to learn to tolerate your thoughts and emotions better by sitting with them. To the point where one day you'll realize that the stuff that goes through your head isn't any more important than the farts that come out of your ass lol. I think you should try it, there are also youtube videos describing this form of meditation too. My psychologists said the traditional form of meditation is also good but believes that's better for learning to focus where as this is more of a awareness and tolerance type of meditation. Hope that helps!! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline SummerSun41

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 12:45:31 PM »
Thank you so much LivingLife. I can relate to everything you said! I'll try that form of meditation because like live said, I just keep monitoring my thoughts and keeping for signs that I'm depressed. I think learning to live with all the random thoughts would help. Thanks again! :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: