Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Zoloft increase, how long until it works?  (Read 536 times)

Offline Wanttofeelbetter

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Zoloft increase, how long until it works?
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:31:21 PM »
Hello,

On December 1 I started Zoloft. The first two days I started with 12.5 mg then up to 25 mg for one week and then up it 50 mg for a week and now I've been on 100 mg for about three weeks. Tomorrow I'm supposed to up my dosage to 150 mg. I was prescribed Zoloft to help with panic disorder and anxiety, I also have OCD but in the form of obsessive thoughts and always worrying that something bad will happen. I've battled and suffered with anxiety my whole life but noticed the most it when I turned 17 I am 30 years old now(female). I've done well for many years and thought taking an antidepressant was such a copout and I was very scared of all the side effects, however recently I've been dealing with the worst bout Of anxiety and panic I've ever experienced my whole life. I have no choice but to take an antidepressant and get my life back to normal. Hopefully get my life back to even better than what I thought was normal. I'm on a medical leave from work and have to return the end of February. I haven't driven for about three months. My life has changed tremendously as I was getting very depressed panicking often and unable to do the things that I would normally do on a day-to-day basis.

My question is how long did it take for your antidepressant to actually work for you. Did it take the full 4 to 6 weeks for you to notice the therapeutic effect? Am I on the right track? Will the dose increase up to 150 mg help me? For a little background the 100 mg has slightly helped me. I'm not as depressed and emotional and crying as much. I'm able to get out of bed however I am still most comfortable at home but I have been able To go food shopping and a few other stores with my mom. When will I see a big change when will I feel better? Does it get better? What was your experience? I'm sorry for all the questions I'm just so nervous that the Zoloft isn't going to help me the way That it has helped others and changed their life. Has it still not been enough time yet? I'm looking forward to seeing with the 150 mg does for me, but I'm not looking forward to the increased anxiety from up in the dose which I got in the beginning of starting Zoloft. I was prescribed Ativan to help me with that and when I first started the Zoloft I was taking half twice a day half And within the last five weeks I've only had to take it when leaving the house or if the anxiety was getting too much at home. So there has been some change with the Zoloft but I'm hoping it gets better from here. Thank you for listening to me and I hope you are all well

Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Zoloft increase, how long until it works?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:41:49 AM »
My question is how long did it take for your antidepressant to actually work for you. Did it take the full 4 to 6 weeks for you to notice the therapeutic effect? Am I on the right track? Will the dose increase up to 150 mg help me? For a little background the 100 mg has slightly helped me.

It can take 3-12 weeks for an antidepressant to kick-in from when you begin taking a therapeutic dose which for Zoloft is a minimum of 50mg. It is possible that 100mg will be enough once it become fully effective, but 150mg should ensure it. Most people take 100-150mg.

When will I see a big change when will I feel better? Does it get better?

It may do. It depends on whether Zoloft is the right antidepressant for you. The fact you've been having some good days suggests it will be, but it's still early days.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:35:35 PM »
When my psychiatrist wisely titrated me on Zoloft (Setraline), he made me do little jumps at 12.5mg every week, and those smaller jumps were noticeable with my body, but they were manageable.   I could still operate at work, even though I could feel the Setraline working in my body. However I can't imagine jumping from 100mg to 150 in one day.  I hope your jump feels comfortable.

In terms of how long will Setraline work, it will take about three months to get stable at a decent dose (100mg to 150mg).  If you're at 100mg, you may want to stay there for another week, since your brain is still adjusting.  At four weeks, you're only about 40% of your way to stabilization, since an antidepressant will basically take 12 weeks to be stable in your system at a dosage above 100mg.  But you will feel improvement with each passing week, not each passing day.

If you're off work until February, take advantage of the free time, and get your mind off your mental health problems.  The most important thing is to have the medication in your system, as you allow it to work.   Watch movies on NetFlix.  There are so many movies I've missed out from last year, that I would love to have the extra time to watch.  Read good books, although try to avoid the self help books, because your focus will always be on your health problem.  Just read things that just make you feel good.   

But most important, keep in contact with your doctor.  I think you'll need too regardless, since he provides your progress to your employer with your Family Medical Leave.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline Wanttofeelbetter

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:04:59 AM »
Thank you guys. I upped the dosage, on day 2. Doing ok. I actually am feeling a little better at 5 weeks now. Hopefully it gets better from here
Bookmark and Share

Tags: