Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hoarse voice for 2 weeks :/  (Read 271 times)

Offline Jaybuck151

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hoarse voice for 2 weeks :/
« on: January 04, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »
I'm a 20 year old male from Arizona and I've had a hoarse sounding voice for two weeks now. It started 18 days ago I got a bad sore throat on the left side under my jaw and it hurt so bad I can barely swallow. The pain completely disappeared 3 days later but there is a lump in the spot where the pain was and it has been there ever since and occasionally aches. (Left lymph node on neck)

My main issue is my voice has been sounding grainy ever since. This is a HUGE problem for me. I am a very talented rapper/singer and I'm working on making this my career. I've lost $500 in studio time and had to cancel 3 shows of mine because my voice hasn't been up to par, so it's really effecting my life.

I stopped singing since but I test my voice out everyday by rapping and it just sounds like garbage.
I am terrifying that there is permanent damage to my voice but I don't see how that's possible.

I went to the ENT and he stuck a scope down there and said it was acid reflux. To me this makes no sense because I've never had any common reflux symptoms ever. And he didn't even feel the lump on my throat when I asked him to.

Anyone have a clue why my voice is like this? I don't smoke tabacco and I drink a few beers maybe once every two weeks.. I'm scared this will ruin my career.
Bookmark and Share

Online Hypo84

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hoarse voice for 2 weeks :/
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »
If you had upper endoscopy and the doctor said it is acid reflux, then it is acid reflux. He probably gave you PPIs or smth else to treat it. If you have GERD, your throat was damaged because of too much acid, now when you take PPIs, you will stop producing acid and your throat will heal over time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemmaa0207

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 03:56:48 AM »
If u have had a virus that's sometimes a cause for loss of voice it's happened to me twice and I work on the phones so use my voice a lot just like you. Mine lasted a good few weeks and yea it is annoying but it's nothing serious or to worry about. Obviously you having a sore throat as irrated your voice box. There's nothing you can do sure hot ginger helps... If no improvement soon visit the gp
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jaybuck151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 04:21:28 AM »
I really appreciate the replies. Is the lump on my lypmh node anything. I should worry about? It could just be the entire lymph node swollen in general rather than a lump on it. But the swelling hasn't gone down at all. I know because I check it and feel it all the time, which I shouldn't do but I'm a huge hypochondriac so I can't help it that's why I'm here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jaybuck151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 04:48:05 AM »
I'm thinking about going to the hospital to try to get an MRI to confirm this lump isn't anything scary. I can't wait 3 more weeks for my Drs appointment then another week for the referral. Because if this lump is something I should worry about the sooner the better..

Think I should try to get an MRI or ct? (I have good tri care prime health insurence)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »
Jay - you could have silent reflux? It doesn't cause the typical acid like pains that normal reflux causes. I was diagnosed with LPR (silent reflux) after the ENT saw red irritation with the scope as well. As for you going to the hospital, I would suggest holding up. I've ran to the hospital before and ended up leaving without them giving me the test I wanted them to give me because I thought I needed it. Haha. I know it's hard to wait, but this is way more likely caused by a virus, irritation from silent reflux, etc. then anything sinister.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jaybuck151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:06:19 PM »
Mod, that is actually what he diagnosed. LPR. Does it hurt when you talk? And is it possible for silent reflux to cause a lump in the neck on the left under the jaw line? That's what scares me the most because it hasn't gone away at all and the doctors don't take that part seriously at all
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 04:55:53 PM »
Jay - A lot of things can cause a swollen lymph node under the jaw line - things such as dental problems, acne, viruses, etc. I don't know about LPR causing them. However, what I can tell you is that I have LPR and I have a palpable node under my left jawline and one under my right. The one on my left is bigger. It's been there for a few years now and both my ENT and PCP have felt them and said they are normal. Some nodes in this area are palpable (able to be felt) and it is totally normal. I have went down the road of being scared over a lymph node. So much so that I pushed to have the node removed (it was on the back of my neck) and of course the node was benign like all docs said it would be. Now I'm left with a scar. Bah. HA sucks.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jaybuck151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 08:47:44 PM »
Moe I appreciate the replies, it's helping my mind out a lot. Midst know dental problems could cause that.. Today I realized my crown in my mouth was basically gone. I'm just deathly afraid of cancer. Not even just that, but my voice. My music has being blowing up in Arizona, in about a year I think I'll be making my way to the top and making real money with it. So the fact that my voice is hoarse now and I have a lump in my neck makes me think my voice quality will oy further diminish which would ruin my dreams and goals. But I'm probably over thinking this whole thing.
Did you change your diet when you were diagnosed with LpR? I think I'm gonna start a new diet to rid myself of acidic foods while
I'm taking nexium. And HOPEFUllY this lump will go away and my voice will return to normal.
Would an MRI show if I had cancer or not?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 04:09:43 PM »
Jay - I will admit that I haven't changed my diet as much as I should have. One of my resolutions for 2014 is to practice healthier eating habits overall. As far as MRI's showing cancer. An MRI can show if a lymph node is pathologically enlarged but only a biopsy of the node will show if it's cancerous of not. 9 times out of 10, nodes swell for benign reasons.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jaybuck151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »
Moe- you think I could have vocal cord nodules? When I try to rap or even talk at a normal volume It hurts pretty bad. It's not my throat hurting, I feel like it's coming straight from the larynx. Unless this is just another symptom of LpR.

Would he have seen any nodules after he put the scope through my nose/throat?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »
Jay - I'm pretty sure that irritation of the vocal cords is seen when the ENT puts the scope in your nose, but I could be mistaken? I do think that with you singing, you obviously put wear on your vocal cords. The wear from you singing, coupled with the LPR, could make things worse from time to time. I would try to give the medication a little time to work. I know easier said then done!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jaybuck151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 11:43:43 PM »
I'm gonna try giving the singing and rapping a rest. But now it hurts to even talk. I'll get random stabbing pains in my throat (larnyx area) and they are triggered even more when I talk no matter how loud. I'm afraid of having vocal nodules...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 11:48:17 PM »
I think vocal nodules would have been seen by the scope.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: