Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Heart Rate  (Read 237 times)

Offline Chiaroscuro

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Heart Rate
« on: January 04, 2014, 04:01:12 PM »
Hi! I'm a 25 year-old male, diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Seasonal Affective Disorder, and naturally, Health Anxiety. This winter has been especially rough however, given the death of my dog Muffles back in October. She was not just a dog, however, but also my best friend, and had been since I was only 10.

Now on to the point of this post: for the last couple of days, my heart rate has been a bit elevated. Normally my resting heart rate is between 64 and 74  bpm, but for the last couple of days, through most of the day as far as I know, it's been between 84-94 bpm. I had a two doctor's appointments last year; one in September and again in October, and both times, the doctor said my heart and lungs sounded healthy. However, I was recently diagnosed with an under active thyroid. Now, I'm not having trouble breathing, no chest pain, etc, but this elevated heart rate is still a bit worrying. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have been thinking about my dog lately, so I suppose this could be an episode of anxiety, but it's still a bit troubling.

Anyway, thanks for your time. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline soccerash21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart Rate
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »
Hi,

Last Saturday, I woke from a nap and for some reason, had a panic attack, which sent my heart rate up like crazy. For almost 7 hours, my heart rate was around 100, which of course, was freaking me out. I wasn't having any problems breathing or chest pain, just a crazy high heart rate. I finally lost it and went into my ER. They ran an EKG, which came back normal. They also took blood and checked my thyroid, all of which came back fine. They just ruled it as anxiety. Earlier that day, I started hearing about how swine flu was causing a problem in the US, and I had started to feel like I caught something. Which, it turns out, I did because I was stuck in bed sick for almost 5 days. Anyways, my point is, I had a high heart rate and was told it was just due to anxiety, which after I thought about it, it made sense because I had already started spazzing about having swine flu when I started to feel like I caught something. If you've had tests and they came back fine, I wouldn't worry much :) Do you have any anxiety meds that you could possibly take to help calm you? If not, try doing something that relaxes you to help get your mind off it. Feel better soon!
Bookmark and Share

Online Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
Those numbers are all within the normal range of heart rate. Its not even tachycardia until it reaches 100 BPM, and by itself that's not dangerous. And you can actually survive with a heart rate over 225 BPM.
But yeah, anxiety and changed emotional states do increase heart rate. So try not to worry about it... I'm sure you can figure out what'll happen if you start getting anxiety about your heart rate.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 07:42:13 PM »
One thing I've learned from years of experience is that when my heart rate seems high for no apparent reason, I'm dehydrated and also need protein.  Once I get both in me, it tends to calm down.

This is why I think my HA appears on the weekends more that during the week because it's easier to get distracted on the weekend and not eat and drink as I should.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chiaroscuro

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:58:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies, it's helping a bit. :3 It isn't so much the fact that the heart rate is elevated, as that it seems to be going on for so long. I suppose it's not unheard of with anxiety. And I have had phases where I'm anxious for days or weeks at a time. I also know I should take heart (no pun intended xP ) in the fact that the Doc says everything seems fine.

Still, Health Anxiety is rarely ever so simple, no? ~_~
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Heart rate anxiety