Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lexapro second time around  (Read 648 times)

Offline nemmm

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lexapro second time around
« on: January 04, 2014, 01:40:31 PM »
Im currently on 10mg lexapro day 16. I was wondering, since before I was on it and started at 20mg  and had no side effects and it worked quickly, this time around i had more side effects and it seems like its taking longer to work what is the reason for this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lexapro second time around
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 04:33:37 PM »
Im currently on 10mg lexapro day 16. I was wondering, since before I was on it and started at 20mg

You were started on the maximum 20mg? Do you know why? The usual Lexapro starting dose is 10mg (though 5mg is often better). This is also the most common maintenance dose.

and had no side effects and it worked quickly, this time around i had more side effects and it seems like its taking longer to work what is the reason for this?

A very good question with few answers so far. But it does seem to be the case that antidepressants will often produce more severe and/or different side-effects the second time, that a higher dose may be required to get the same result as the first time, and there is an increased likelihood of the med not working at all. According to one study the odds of antidepressants working drops by about 20% each time. This applies to all antidepressants, not just the one/s taken previously.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline nemmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 04:48:44 PM »
Yeah before I was on 20mg and then stopped and now Im back on starting at 10

Interesting... I really hope it works is that common or uncommon?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:38:33 PM »
I really hope it works is that common or uncommon?

Complete failure doesn't appear to be that common, but more severe side-effects and needing to take a higher dose seems to be. We get reports of these here nearly every day, yours being the latest.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline nemmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 05:46:51 PM »
What should I do?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 07:32:31 PM »
What should I do?

Continue taking it. Antidepressants typically take 3-12 weeks to begin working so the fact Lexapro isn't after only 16 days doesn't mean much.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline nemmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 07:37:04 PM »
Ok another thing I want to ask you, you seem to really know alot. I used to take klonopin before as needed but the past few times I taken it it seems to of made me more anxious, before I took it when I was on lexapro it worked great maybe now that I Am back on lexapro it will work better? I took it recently when I wasnt on lexapro and it made me feel more anxious idk why?  My psychiatrist gave me flurazapem and I stopped taking that it was for sleep and it didnt work.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 09:58:03 PM »
before I took it when I was on lexapro it worked great maybe now that I Am back on lexapro it will work better?

I don't know why Klonopin would be making you feel more anxious, but I doubt Lexapro would affect this either way as the two drugs work through completely different neurotransmitter pathways. Perhaps the Klonopin appeared more effective because your anxiety levels were lower due to the Lexapro and you simply need a higher dose when not taking an antidepressant.

You could also try one of the shorter acting benzodiazepines like Ativan (lorazepam), or Xanax (alprazolam) to see whether they work better for you.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline nemmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 10:04:39 PM »
I was only prescribed klonopin as needed but have ativan in my house but dont want to take something Im not perscribed
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 02:24:29 AM »
I was only prescribed klonopin as needed but have ativan in my house but dont want to take something Im not perscribed

Cool. Discuss it with your doctor next time you see him/her.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline nemmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 03:28:10 PM »
I appreciate all your help Ian thanks, hopefully ill feel better :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline beast216

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 05:57:56 PM »
Going through the same thing. 

I was on Lexapro for the better part of a decade.  Went off over the summer.  Withdrawl was very difficult.

Anyhow, I am on day 16 of my second go around...10mg.

Even though I was on it so long, i have had some tough side effects going back on it.  Most notably sick to my stomach in the am.  It is slowly getting better thought.

Also, I have had a lot more success so far taking it in the morning. ..but know everyone is different.  Good luck
Bookmark and Share

Offline nemmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »
I take it at around 1-3 PM probably should try getting it in earlier though...
Bookmark and Share

Offline nemmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »
Update i visited my psychiatrist and told him everything, he bumped me up to 20mg dose cipralex and klonopin x2 at bedtime although I may take 1 in morning and 1 in night to control my anxiety all day.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: