Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Fed up of feeling scared of brain problems - what can I do?  (Read 499 times)

Offline perc19

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fed up of feeling scared of brain problems - what can I do?
« on: January 04, 2014, 05:19:03 AM »
Hello,

Looking for some advice and answers - so sorry for being annoying, but I'm fed up of being in the fear and anxiety circle of whether I have brain problems or anxiety. How long do I give myself to see if my problems are illness related or whether they are anxiety related? How do I know the difference between an innocent stabbing pain or a cramp feeling or whether it is a medical ddisaster?????

Trying to remember back when I first got the pain and I was stressed with Open University studies, my 'geeky' son starting secondary school and money, I had cold sores on both sides of lips, pressure headaches, tiredness and was then hit with this stabbing pain that has thrown me into the anxiety pit of despair, although I am so much calming than I was 3 months ago, but it doesn't take much to freak me out now and I think all the time that I may collapse when driving or going to the toilet!!! But could these ongoing pains and cramp/zaps/weird sensations be an illness that I must see a doctor about.

How do you all tell the difference???? Think I may be back at doctors again on Monday, but I'm sure they think I'm nuts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fed up of feeling scared of brain problems - what can I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »
I believe if you had brain issues, you would be suffering either progressively worsening
headaches, severe incapacitating headaches, extreme unexpalined dizziness, loss of vision, etc.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 09:28:08 AM »
Sorry, I meant to say explained.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for your reply and yes I am in agreement and I keep telling myself that I would have worsening symptoms, but I can't draw myself away from the scary thoughts that something is going to happen with my head.

:(

Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:42:31 AM »
And then I have 9 hours sleep, wake up feel fine, go to toilet and feel dizzy for 2 or 3 seconds - which has scared me again. Now I know this could be because I could have got up to quick, or because I haven't had breakfast or a cup of tea, or it could be my ears as I have just got over a real heavy cold but......... I then think it could be something seriously wrong in my head or the early days of a serious problem!!!!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 10:35:06 AM »
Perc - I've had your symptoms off and on for 10 years. I've had multiple normal mris and ct scans. I care a lot of my tension in my upper back, neck, and shoulders. I think this contributes to my weird head pains/sensations. I believe that if your pains were something sinister, they would be worsening. What has your doctor said?
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 10:45:13 AM »
Thank you for your reply, I can't believe you have had all of this for 10 years! And its just tension or anxiety or both.

I have seen 4 dcotors over the last 3 months and thay have all said it is tension and anxiety and I want to believe them and then I get scared and so on.

Crackers?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 10:59:25 AM »
I get it! I will tell you that after 10 years, I still sometimes get scared too! It's really hard to believe anxiety can cause all these aches and pains but it can! I don't worry about my head anymore, but I do struggle with anxiety over other physical sensations. It's a vicious cycle! Crackers for sure! Haha
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »
Thank you for your reply, reading your reply has made me feel a lot better, knowing I'm not the only one.

I haven't had any MRI scans or anything, but was on amitryptyline for 6 weeks, but I got scared with the side effects and so that pushed my anxiety higher, also lost half a stone over the last 3 months, but I guess that could be worry too??

I have never been one to suffer with headaches, so I guess that has added to my anxiety. I hope I can overcome it and then maybe will realise it is all tension and stress - but how long does that take???

Thanks again
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 06:26:53 PM »
Help needed, as I have new symptoms, I woke this morning with the inner corner of my left eye bloodshot - this went after an hour, but in which time I scared mytself to the point of a bowel movement that it was evidence of pressure in the brain. Rest of the day was fairly calm, planting bulbs and ironing, then tonight whilst watching sherlock on the sofa, my head feels weird and then I have a strong dizzy spell and now I' scared again.

Why did I feel dizzy on the sofa? It has got to be something serious Do I push for an mri and blood tests

Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 12:59:58 AM »
Any thoughts?

Sleepless night full of worry and fear which isn't going to do me any favours today!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 02:38:00 AM »
So sorry about your headache and pains.

Years ago I experienced a particularly stressful, anxiety inducing year and my only way of coping was physical activity, mainly basketball. I ended up developing stress fractures on both shins. Ultimately I had to give up basketball which mad me depressed.

Shortly after I woke up with a horrible headache. After three days I went to my primary physician. Two weeks later, still with headache, I was referred to a neurologist, who ordered a CT scan, blood/urine work, and performed a spinal tap. I was terrified. I started feeling sick to my stomach and a general feeling of malaise. For several days all I did was lay in bed thinking the worst, unable to eat much. I eventually developed lower back pain either from laying in bed several days straight or maybe it was psychosomatic.

All the tests came back negative, which was a relief, but I still had the headache. I was diagnosed with chronic headache disorder. I ended up having a headache that varied in intensity for 13 months. It was a nightmare.

During the first several months I was a wreck. Every weird twinge of pain in my head that was different than the constant pain freaked me out. I became sensitive to high pitched sounds as if they pierced through my spine, probably from chronic anxiety. I had 5-6 anxiety attacks, fortunately mild from a physical symptoms standpoint. No pain, just a strange sensation up my neck and over my head, like a creepy hand going over my head, along with an intense feeling of fear. I will say that the first one was terrifying. Once I realized what it was I was able to ride out the other ones more easily. I became very depressed. I began to think that this was going to be my life forever.

The neurologist wanted to put me on medication, but I was too scared to. I decided not to take any. For me it was a last resort.

What got me through it and eventually made it go away was gaining back control and changing the way I thought about it and my life in general. I cried a lot because of the pain, but I also found myself processing things - regrets, guilt, etc - that I had held onto for years. Things that I kept to myself bottled up. The floodgates opened. I realized that I hadn't cried in maybe 10 or more years.

I also started eating really healthy (not that I ate unhealthy to begin with), which made me feel like I was doing something good for myself. I started to socialize more. I had withdrawn from people because I was in pain, which was no good. I began taking walks. I started telling myself over and over that I was going to recover, that I was going to get back into fishing, a pursuit I thoroughly enjoy. The following year I started fishing again and at some point the headache went away. That first fishing trip was so therapeutic. There was so much going on, from the wind hitting my face, to the sound of it through the trees and grass, the rippling of the water, the lush greenery surrounding me, trees and grass bowing in the wind, not to mention my focus on actually fishing, that I forgot about the pain.

Even when the headache went away I questioned it. My normal had become being in pain and I had forgotten what it was like not to be in pain. I didn't even know if it ended suddenly or gradually. All I knew was that I wasn't in pain anymore. I was free. 

As you can see the mind can cause all sorts of crazy things. I was not physically sick. For whatever reason(s) my body has a tendency to manifest physical pain as a result of emotional pain, stress, anxiety, etc. The worse the emotional stuff the worse the physical pain.

Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 03:25:08 AM »
Help needed, as I have new symptoms, I woke this morning with the inner corner of my left eye bloodshot - this went after an hour, but in which time I scared mytself to the point of a bowel movement that it was evidence of pressure in the brain. Rest of the day was fairly calm, planting bulbs and ironing, then tonight whilst watching sherlock on the sofa, my head feels weird and then I have a strong dizzy spell and now I' scared again.

First, bowel movement as a result of fear is pure sympathetic nervous system doing it's job; definitely anxiety driven. As far as the dizzy spells and stabbing pains, it's entirely possible you have MAV like symptoms. However, it's also possible to have psychogenic dizziness that is driven by anxiety. I know this first-hand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 05:40:21 AM »
You've probably see me posting here numerous times re worrying about a brain tumour. My headaches/pressure have been constant for over 6 weeks now. I have had eye test, bloods and now an MRI of my brain. All this showed was a high signal change in my frontal sinus, which might just be inflammation/sinusitis type issues. I was surprised at this because I don't have a runny nose therefore I can't see how it's my sinus, but I have had a blocked left ear (same side they saw the high signal change) for months now.

I am a very anxious person and since the headaches started I have had nausea, tingling limbs and face, neck and back ache from the tension and also BLOOD SHOT EYES! When I was worried, I assumed this must be a tumour but now I have been told my brain is all ok.. I know the blood shot eyes are due to anxiety and worry and the fact I am so tense and look at the computer a lot!

Although I don't get dizzy per se, I do get a foggy head and just generally feel a bit spaced out.. again I blame this on anxiety.

I am sure that's all your blood shot eye is too!

If you are that concerned, request an MRI to put your mind at ease but I expect yours will be fine too.

I know exactly how this feels and hope you get some relief soon.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: