Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Been doing good....then today, symptoms revisited  (Read 314 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Been doing good....then today, symptoms revisited
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:05:41 PM »
My anxiety level has been low for a couple of months now. Something that I think helped it greatly was not skipping any meals, and eating as wholesome as possible. But today!!! I don't know how it happened, I'm assuming I stretched myself too thin again. Well, I drive my Dad to work every morning----long story short--he lives next door, he's 76 years old and still works! So, I wake up, exercise, take the dog out, did a few dishes (that I left last night) then took my Dad to work. The temperature out there was frigid as I scraped the ice off my windshield...

When I got back home I felt like I couldn't take a deep breath---that is one of the symptoms I get when I'm stressed, just very shallow breathing. It stayed with me all morning. I made my husband homemade chicken soup for lunch, still feeling bad. Then after he left, I took the dog out again all the while wishing I could take a deep breath or relax.

Then at about 2:30 pm I did some grocery shopping, and I needed quite a bit. The store was crowded because we are expected to have another snow storm so everyone had the same idea to stock up. As I walked through the store the shallow breathing lead to feeling dizzy which then led to me worrying that something was wrong with my heart. I even visualized me on the floor and someone calling 911. Then I thought if that happened surely someone would know CPR.

I had to stop the catastrophic thinking I was doing and just remind myself that I have felt that way many, many, many times before, and that it was merely a reaction to myself stretching myself too thin again and stressing myself out. And that's what I told myself. And then I felt better.

The line at the cash register was long and slow, but because I calmed myself down I did not run out the store screaming.

I'm still here....all is good :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Been doing good....then today, symptoms revisited
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:47:52 PM »
Hi CarrieAnn...

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened today with your anxiety.  I'm glad that you were able to calm yourself down.  The same thing happened to me, yesterday.

I am doing so much better.  I think I should be able to put in a full day, and tackle life's little mishaps too, but I am still very sensitized.  I had one of those life's mishaps happen yesterday when I got a music CD in the mail that was defective.  No big deal, right?  My anxiety thought otherwise.  Then, right after that, I must have set the controls on my convection oven wrong.  Instead of cooking my lunch at 350 degrees, I was cooking it at 100 (food doesn't cook real well at 100 degrees).  I thought the oven was broken, and it's pretty new unit, so that shot my anxiety up another level.  I topped it off in the evening by exercising to hard, so put another notch in the gun handle of anxiety.  I was able to calm myself down too, and remind myself to slow down, I have a long way to go.

I'm glad you that you are okay now.  The very best to you, CarrieAnn!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline liza9560

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 11:35:45 PM »
It seems you have a really good outlook about this. :)  I think that, for me, anxiety over my anxiety can be the worst.  I am happy for a week or two, with no panic or anything, and then one day comes along and, boom.  Back to Wonky Town. 

The best thing we can do is accept the anxiety as it comes and move forward.  You have a clear idea of why you felt the way you felt today; so take deep breaths and keep on truckin'. 

If I may be so bold--are you taking any meds?
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:43:06 PM »
Awww, Chuck! well I guess we're in good company! I hate when I get so ahead of myself trying to 'do it all' at once. I think what gets me is I think too much about everything I need to do in a day, and I end up overwhelmed and stressed, which is not good for my anxiety.

So, tomorrow is a new day! A fresh start! I'm going to move at a snail's pace and not worry if I only accomplish half of what I set out to. Rome wasn't built in a day after all!

Talk to you later :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:37:43 AM »
Liza, thank you...I had a wonderful teacher in my life, it was my Mom. She had a lot of struggles herself, but never once complained and had the best attitude of anyone I've ever known. She taught me to face whatever life may bring--even illness, with grace. And that is what I do. Face it all with grace, that's my motto!

Well, at this time I am not on any medication, although I have been on it in the past. Never tried the Benzo's like Xanax etc., but I've been on Celexa, and even tried Lexapro. Of the two I loved Celexa it did it's job of restoring me back to 'normal'. But Lexapro made me feel numb---I felt neither here nor there about everything--just very flat and emotionless, so I didn't stay on that one for very long. As long as I feel I am handling it without meds. I'll stay on the natural route, but it's good to know that the option of medication is there if needed. I am not against using meds, just happen to not be on any at this time.

Thanks for Your reply :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 210
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 10:47:47 AM »
CarrieAnn, what a fresh inspiration you are!!  Almost brought tears to my eyes hearing your mom was such a great teacher in your life!  Your motto, "face it all with grace" is something I'll remember!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »
Hi Kathie, yep, facing it with grace is similar to the old adage of acceptance (with anxiety). I find' facing it with grace' is the best way to handle whatever...with anxiety there's no need to fear it---just accept it as--it is what it is. For me yesterday, I thought myself into panic, so I could just as well think my way out of panic.  Facing it with grace is kind of like saying, 'Ok, no big deal, everything will be alright, it is what it is, let's make the best of it'. Keeps it from escalating further too.

They used to say 'age gracefully' and I guess that meant don't get yourself worked up over something that is natural and is supposed to happen. I'm 43 now, and the few grey hairs are coming in etc., but I'm OK with it. I wouldn't trade all the experience and knowledge I've acquired in these 43 years for anything :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: