Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Emotional Eating  (Read 95 times)

Offline Quetzal828

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Emotional Eating
« on: January 03, 2014, 05:34:52 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a direct product of GAD, but I'm pretty sure it's related. I've been going through a particularly rough time with anxiety and depression the past few months, and an old problem that I thought I'd gotten over has  resurfaced: emotional eating. When I was a teenager, I had a lot of anxiety about my weight but also a very compelling sweet tooth. I got stuck in these cycles where I would try to "diet" by avoiding sugar and unhealthy food, but inevitably the temptation would be too great so I would "give in" and binge on sweets. Intense guilt would follow, prompting another extreme resolution to start a new diet fresh the next day, setting myself up for another failure.

Now I work from home, which I think contributes to the problem. I'll start to feel lonely and guilty that I'm not more productive throughout the day (I'm always able to get my work done in the end, but it's tough for me to stay focused for any length of time). I'll start craving sweets, and before long I find myself in the candy cupboard. This triggers the urge to just give up and resign myself to a full day of unhealthy eating, starting yet another spiral of guilt.

I'm not overweight (yet), and I wouldn't say I eat mega-amounts (I wouldn't be able to eat a whole gallon of ice cream in one sitting, for example). It's more like 8-10 oreos or similar quantities of other sweets.

Any suggestions for how to avoid this self-destructive pattern?
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Emotional Eating
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 06:22:35 PM »
Hi Q...

I am in the autumn of my years, so to speak.  There is no doubt in my mind that I have an addictive personality, and I have GAD too.  With many aspects of my life, it's an "all or nothing at all" situation.  I am not overweight either, but at the beginning of last summer I decided to take off 5-10 pounds that I had put on while on Remeron, and do that  by eating healthier and cutting out the sweets.  Well, I love my sweets, and so I ended-up eating no sweets for a few weeks, and then I would binge on them, just like you mentioned.  This went on through the summer, and I would get the "guilt" feeling too.

I finally came up with a very simple solution for myself, that being to not deny myself my sweets, but be sensible with them.  Now I'll even have a cookie after breakfast, after a healthy breakfast.  This seems to be working very well for me.  I find that it also helps to buy bite size sweets.  If I buy a bag of the bite size candy bars, one is just fine to kill my sweet tooth.  But if I buy a full size candy bar, well I'm going to eat the whole thing in one sitting.

You might want to give this a try.  The best to you, Q!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: