Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Foreseeing a panic attack coming due to 'winter storm'! Help  (Read 446 times)

Offline tirazline

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Foreseeing a panic attack coming due to 'winter storm'! Help
« on: January 03, 2014, 04:28:46 PM »
Brief history:  I have health anxiety and panic attacks due to that.  I also get anxious during storms or any time of severe 'it's time to panic' weather... which is odd because 3 years ago, before anxiety, I LOVED storms.  Any kind.  Winter, Summer, I loved experience storms and the hopes of chaotic atmospheres, being shut in and cut off from society types.  Well, I live in the Midwest and this weekend we are getting a 'big' snow storm with possibilities of over a foot of snow on top of what we already have, plus dangerously freezing temperatures.  I am already starting to panic!  And it's really bothering me.  Why am I panicking?  I lived in this state my whole life.  We get tons of snow.  We have had weather to where we were shut in and couldn't leave the house.  Now I'm panicking that if I needed to leave the house for a medical emergency, there would be no help for me.  That the idea of outside weather keeping me confined.   That it will be dangerously cold (-40 below).  This is all silly but it's scaring me.  The last time we had a tornado warning with sirens going off (several months ago), I locked myself in the bathroom with my cats in full panic mode!  This is getting ridiculous.  I have become a huge scaredy cat and I hate it :(  I was bold, fearless and adventurous.  This stuff used to excite me.  Now it's giving me the wrong kind of adrenaline.  The fear type.  How am I going to get through these next 5 days of the winter storm?  I am med free.  Going to therapist.  I have .05mg Xanax but never used them.  I'm scared of meds.  Should I take a Xanax during the storm?  Will it mess me up?  I also want to add that next week I also have to take a stress test for my heart because of an abnormal ekg.  Which is worrying me but what's reassuring is that the cardiologist isn't worried.  He says it's more than likely anxiety causing it to be abnormal but he has to take the next steps as protocol.  I guess I'm worried that I'll have a heart attack during the storm from panicking too much and there will be no way to get to a hospital.  Or that taking Xanax will give me a heart attack or mess up my heart.  Yes I know these are unlikely but that's not what my head and body say!  Today I woke up dizzy and off balance.  Put me in anxiety mode all day.  Now seeing these weather reports I'm not feeling good.  I just need to relax...  Sorry for my rant.  I needed to vent.  I just need some calm, soothing words.  Or advice for anyone that gets panic attacks during storms.  Any steps to keep you calm when in a bad storm?  Especially one where you possibly may be snowed in for several days?  Thanks
Bookmark and Share
It can't rain all the time

Online patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Foreseeing a panic attack coming due to 'winter storm'! Help
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:38:02 PM »
I would (and I do)  take the Xanax.  It will help greatly to relax you.

I know what you mean about the storms - used to love them now they freak me out and can't explain why.

Stay strong!!!!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:47:51 PM »
As an Aussie who lives in the the semi-tropics we can get severe thunderstorms and flash flooding quite a bit through summer and occasionally hail stones the size of baseballs.

The only reason I say that is because, while I've never experienced a winter storm like the one you guys are going to get. I DO understand how scary Mother Nature can be.

The best thing to do is make sure you've got an emergency pack ready with a torch (flashlight?), fresh batteries food for you and your pets and fresh water. Then make sure you have something to distract you if the power goes out. A good book if you live alone or a board game you might be able to get others to play with you?

I know you probably know all that already living where you live. But sometimes just packing all that stuff up again and knowing you've done SOMETHING helps a bit.

I think it's the feeling of helplessness that can come with knowing a big storm is coming that causes the stress.

Please let us know how you go!

Edit: I agree that taking the Xanax would be a good move as well. It's the first dose of any medication that's the hardest. Once you know you're ok the next ones will be much easier :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline tirazline

Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 01:26:38 AM »
Thank you both!  I was on high anxiety mode today.  I've calmed a bit.  I will see how I am tomorrow night when the storm hits.  I stocked up on supplies.  Everything is prepared except my mental state.  Will keep you posted
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 07:43:29 AM »
The best part of the Xanax - especially if you're not used to it - is that it might make you sleep for several hours - sort of a nice little "fast forward" thru the storm!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ushin

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 09:29:50 AM »
I am in the path of the same storm as you and understand what your feeling.  For me I tend to run thru the worst case scenarios these days instead of just waiting to see what happens.
I also used to love winter storms.  I once drove 45 miles in an ice storm to spend half an hour with a girl friend before driving back, but now I would avoid going a block if there was ice.
We will get thru this weekend and the Xanax does help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tirazline

Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 02:05:40 AM »
I appreciate all of your comments!  Yes I made it through 'Snowmaggedon'.  It was horrible.  Both in my city and my mental state.  About 14 inches of snow and temperatures below 50 degrees.  I was imprisoned in my home for 3 days.  Had several panic attacks but got through them all.  I didn't take any Xanax although I probably should.  It was agonizing pain and fear.  Our lights kept flickering..  I freaked.  Power going out wouldn't have been good in those temperatures.  But alas.. I made it :)  I laugh now because I really freaked out over nothing.  I mean yes it was a bad snow storm but I shouldn't have acted that way.  I wish I was like I used to be.  Calm.  Now I'm on edge over anything.  Plus this health anxiety is consuming me.  I do have health problems too so that makes it harder.  Again, thanks everyone and I'm glad you made it through your storm too. 
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 07:58:34 AM »
Temps below 50 degrees?  I'll trade you.  We hit minus 13 last week.  lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline tirazline

Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 02:06:33 AM »
I meant -50 degrees! Freezing!   Lol I would have loved below 50 too
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 02:20:05 AM »
For me it's not so much storms, but earthquakes. I've been through a few big ones and they scare the heck out of me. To this day if a large truck passes and causes rattling I often think earthquake for a brief second. A few years back our house started rattling for a couple of minutes and I thought "oh no this is it." Turns out it was a local rocket test that caused the rattling.  :laugh3:

The only storm related freak out I've had was getting caught in an epic lightening storm about 10 years ago. I'm talking about 100's of lightening strikes, some that came straight down and then split left and right across the horizon. I was out on a lake and had to row for 30 minutes to reach the parking area. To add weird to the scary, when I get to the dam there is this guy walking on top of the dam playing a wooden flute. He comes up to me saying how he loves lightening storms and how it makes him feel close to God. All I wanted to do was get the heck out of there.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: