Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone have experience with Celexa?  (Read 275 times)

Offline octbaby

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone have experience with Celexa?
« on: January 03, 2014, 03:05:27 PM »
Hi I'm new here and I have been dealing with depression and anxiety for some time now. I started taking Lexapro at 5 mg but have been on 10mg now for about 4 weeks. I had to change doctors because my old one left. The new doctor put me on Celexa 20 mg because he said it is the sister drug of Lexapro and is cheaper since I do not have insurance at the moment. My doctor told me to just start the Celexa with out weening of the Lexapro. My question is has anyone had good experience with the Celexa? What side effects does it have? I have been having insomnia and feeling brain foggy and very tired with no energy with the Lexapro. I'm scared I am going to have to start dealing with new side effects now. I will give the meds a chance because I am tired of feeling so numb and not having feelings towards anything. Please give me your input, it will be greatly appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone have experience with Celexa?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »
Your new doc may not be aware that Lexapro (escitalopram) is now generic (as of 2013). It is very inexpensive where I'm at, I believe I paid 12 dollars for a three month supply. I have insurance but it cost less than what my copay is. I don't know if it's as cheap where you live, but it may be worth verifying with your pharmacy. 

If it in fact IS too expensive, I believe the response of current celexa users here is generally positive. MobileChucko's been on it for about 6 weeks and I think he's been happy with the results so far.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:10:11 PM »
Hi OB...

Your doctor was correct when he told you that Celexa (Citalopram) is the sister drug to Lexapro.  Also, 10 mg is the lowest therapeutic dose for Lexapro, and 20 mg is the lowest therapeutic dose for Celexa, so this should be an even trade off.  Therefore, you may not have any addition side effects at this time.  Side effects may return for a short period, if there is an increase in the Celexa.

I have been on Celexa for exactly six weeks now.  I was started on 20 mg, and have remained on that dosage for the entire six weeks.  It has really helped me.  My depression was the first to completely clear (100% gone).  Intrusive/negative thoughts are now extremely rare, and those I do have just seem to drift right through me.  I haven't had a panic attack in at least three weeks now, and the last two I had were very mild and short lived.  My anxiety has been decreased by some 75%.  I still have some up and down days, but they are slowly getting further apart.

I had problems with insomnia during the first 2-3 weeks on the Celexa.  Now I'm sleeping well.  I do wake-up several times during the night, but I can fall right back to sleep.  I also had problems with feeling tired and having no energy.  As the Celexa began working on my depression and anxiety, my energy level has returned and I am no longer tired during the day.

I would suggest that you consider asking your physician for something for sleep.  Perhaps if you were able to start getting proper sleep again at night, you would no longer feel tired with no energy.

If there are any questions I can help you with, please let me know.  The best to you, OB!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:56:09 PM »
My question is has anyone had good experience with the Celexa? What side effects does it have? I have been having insomnia and feeling brain foggy and very tired with no energy with the Lexapro. I'm scared I am going to have to start dealing with new side effects now.

Celexa and Lexapro are exactly the same active drug. The chemical in Celexa, citalopram) is made up of two mirror image isomers, R-citalopram and S-citalopram - aka escitalopram. Only the 'S' form is active, with the 'R' version being about 50 times less potent. Lexapro (escitalopram) is the more refined version of citalopram consisting of only the 'S' isomer. While R-citalopram is mostly inactive, it does have subtle effects which some notice, but others don't, however, the side-effects should be the same.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: