Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety with no apparent reason...  (Read 246 times)

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety with no apparent reason...
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:27:20 AM »
Hello, I sometimes ( like now ) get that feeling of anxiety mixed with depression with n apparent reason what-so-ever, does anybody know why is that and how to stop it ?
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 56
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety with no apparent reason...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:50:48 AM »
Hello,

Sometimes, if a person is prone to anxiety, there might be a trigger that the person has yet to realize is a trigger and yet, the anxiety is a response to it . . . . if you are sure that there is no apparent reason (for example, anticipating having to do something, something someone said or did, etc.) and these do not have to be big reasons, perhaps it is simple having an off day . . . .if, however, you are having more off days or days that stretch into longer episodes, you may want to consult with a med professional for some guidance . . . . I am not a med professional and to answer the question how to stop it, the best I can do with the information provided is suggest that you scan the other postings which have loads of suggestions from exercise, lifestyle, to mindfulness . . . . sorry, I couldn't be of more help . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrookeAshley1

• Rec's: 1
    Thoughtful
  • I may not know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »
That happens to me all the time. I've found that even if there's nothing that I'm worried about, I'll feel anxiety about things being good... because I fear things being good means something is bad around the corner. So, I'm never really at rest. I also find I do get depressed for no reason at all. Just sometimes appears out of nowhere. I think its common with those prone to anxiety/depression. Seems a lot of people I speak with feel the same way in this regard.
Bookmark and Share
Giving up is always an option, but it is never my choice.

Offline jed

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:36:13 AM »
Hey there,

Yes, this seems to be the story of my life the past six months! I find that others experience the same thing, too. I hope that you can take some comfort knowing you are far from alone in this regard.

I agree with KC above that there could be a trigger you have yet to realize, but I'd also take it a step further to say that anticipation of the undesirable symptoms that come along with anxiety (depression, etc.) can be enough to make one anxious. For me, this has been a very important realization on my road to recovery. What I used to think of as "no reason" for my anxiety I now realize is just fear of feeling afraid, depressed, and all the symptoms that come along with it.

What really helps me cope is to examine or "shine a light" on each and every symptom as they come: the depression, the brain fog, the jitters, the back aches, and so on. I say aloud what each is and how it's making me feel. Then, most importantly (and most difficult!) instead of tensing up to fight the anxiety or shrinking away from it in fear (both of which only feed the fire) I try to accept the symptoms and "float" through them yes, they're here, yes, they're miserable, but no, they cannot truly hurt me, because they are just a product of berserk adrenal glands.

I used to find myself getting really down about my anxiety and throwing my hands up in the air in frustration because I was "losing the battle" and scared I'd be like this forever --- but now, I realize that treating it like a battle at all was keeping me from recovery. Acceptance teaches our nerves that it's okay and we can gradually stop the fear-adrenaline-fear cycle which is, effectively, anxiety for "no reason."

Have you read any books about anxiety? Lots of what I wrote above stems from this great book called "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" which I learned about on these very boards. I just started it the other day, but it's already helped me tremendously. It has very insightful advice and I appreciate that the tone is not overly soothing or patronizing (which is all too common in self-help literature.) I got the Kindle version and I'm really happy with it as it syncs my highlighted passages between my phone, laptop, etc. so I can just whip out my iPhone when my anxiety is getting out of control and re-read some choice selections.

Hope this helps a bit!

Cheers,

J
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 20
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 10:57:14 AM »
Hi INTS...

There are many reasons for the development of anxiety and depression.  One may actually have a underlying physical condition that triggers the appearance of anxiety/depression.  Some examples are thyroid problems, heart disease, diabetes, and asthma, to name a few.  It's a good idea to start off having a complete physical done, and appropriate tests to rule-out these conditions.

Psychological reasons maybe apparent, not apparent but existing on a subconscious level, or there maybe no reason found for the display of anxiety and depression.  Obvious reason could include stress factors such as the death of a family member or friend, a pending divorce, or even moving.  Subconscious factors may include fears occurring at an early age that are not apparent to the conscious mind.

There are effective treatment for anxiety and depression.  One might consider seeing a psychiatrist.  They are medical doctors and therefore can determine a diagnosis, prescribe medication if warranted, and consider other forms of treatment.  There is therapy available including cognitive behavioral therapy.  There are also many things that one can do on their own.  These include mindfulness/meditation, exercise, getting proper sleep, keeping yourself hydrated with water, and eating frequent, small, healthy meals.

I hope that this helps.  The best to you, INTS!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »
Thanks everyone for replies :)

Chucko : I dont think this is some physical related thing, Personally I am a strong "anxie" So I count it to that.
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 13
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »
I've been dealing with that a bit lately.....I've been really working on countering irrational/negative thoughts and feel like I am mentally "worrying" less, and yet I still have plenty of nervous energy, or tension, or chest pressure, etc. My psychiatrist said that frequently symptom relief can sometimes lag well changing your cognitions and behaviors, which makes sense because the rest of the body is still sensitized
Bookmark and Share

Tags: