Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Psychiatrist and therapist appointment updates  (Read 225 times)

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Psychiatrist and therapist appointment updates
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:03:25 PM »
I put this in the GAD section too, but wanted to share here as well.

Had both appointments today, my third psych and second therapy appointment. The first went very well. The Lexapro continued to keep my GI tract slow, but my depressive symptoms responded so readily to the medication that she was hesitant to change it, and I agree with her. Herbal tea, healthy food, water and excercise will hopefully keep this side effect under control. She also agreed that there is probably a hormonal component to my symptoms. She advised the Lexapro and my progesterone cream alone for another month, and if they don't keep my cyclical worsened symptoms under control, she suggested that my family doc prescribe me Seasonale which is a birth control pill and may settle things down from that perspective (staying on the Lexapro of course) actually have a physical w my family doc next week so that's convenient.

Therapy appointment was another story. I felt uncertain about her last visit, now I am certain she's not for me. Didn't remember me.....which ok you see a lot of people I get that. But you don't see the notes about me YOU wrote in my chart two weeks ago? She made me repeat a lot of the same stuff, what's my family like, is your husband supportive, what are your goals. I felt I had some clear goals and thought she would make a game plan to work toward them. Nope. I'd requested help w CBT, but she just repeated "counter the negative thoughts"

She kept saying "you have a lot of tools in your toolbox" (because I'm exercising, doing meditation,journaling etc) but didn't get that I needed help utilizing some if those tools, of getting my recovery more organized.  My family doctor was more helpful I the past on coping skills than this therapist was.  She didn't give me any concrete "homework" exercises, told me to "follow up when I needed to"

So I decided she isn't for me. I'm going to continue to do this stuff on my own right now, I think regular followup with my psychiatrist is enough at this point.....I don't want to start fresh with yet another therapist right now. Maybe if things stall out .

Overall I feel good about things though! Still anxious every day but I really feel things are moving in The right direction.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mta214

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Psychiatrist and therapist appointment updates
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 05:49:12 AM »
I'm sorry that the therapist wasn't a good fit for you.  Sometimes that does happen, and it's better you found out sooner rather than later.  However, don't hesitate to seek out another therapist if you find that you're really struggling.  Therapy has been a lifeline at times for me, but I had to go thru a couple of therapists before finding the right one.  Good luck, and I hope the lexapro continues to help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:16:13 AM »
This is such good and welcome feedback. When I sought help (a long time ago) I also found the general practitioner more helpful than the shrink. Just as well, became my own shrink.

It is good to discover that we can learn and do so much for ourself. Even CBT and its components you are practicing. Hormones can play a role but can be dealt with. With time and patience and persistence you'll be better and better. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Bookmark and Share

Online Beth0810

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:55:22 AM »
Often, it takes many tries at finding a therapist before you "click" with one.  Please don't give up on therapy after one or two visits.  Fire that therapist, and move on.  Psychology Today has a great website where you can enter your zip code, and the things you are looking for in a therapist, and then a whole bunch of them will pop up- you can read profiles and most therapists will schedule a phone session to talk to you initially, or a "get to know you" session where you can come and visit and see if they are the right person for you.  If not- no biggie- you just go back to looking.  It took me several tries before I found the right one- and it's so worth it. 

You are VERY lucky that you found a psychiatrist that you like right off- usually it's harder to find a good pdoc than to find a good therapist.  So that's extremely helpful!  Meanwhile, while your meds are working, and you are on the road to recovery, you can be looking for a therapist to help you with some CBT and get you feeling better. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mta214

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:43:32 AM »
Beth0810 is soooo correct about PsychologyToday.com!!  That's exactly how I found my current therapist.  She Dr a free phone consultation, and after that I scheduled my first appointment with her.  I knew right away that she'd be a good fit for me.  But, as I mentioned, it took going thru a couple of therapists before I found her.  Good luck!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: