Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of stomach cancer  (Read 197 times)

Offline roulolox

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of stomach cancer
« on: January 02, 2014, 05:39:26 AM »
Hello,
I am writing here cause I recently (say a few days ago) developed a fear of stomach cancer (I am a male, 40 years old). Now, I am almost convinced I have it....
I am very anxious about my health and recently was convinced I had a pancreas cancer. I had an abdominal CT-Scan and everything was normal. Since then I always had some abdominal problems like loose stools, bloating and kind of GERD. This week-end I started to have nausea (which woke me up at night), a bit of diarrhea, a loss of appetite and feel quite tired. Because of this nausea, I think I have a big problem with my stomach. I am wondering if the CT-Scan would have seen any problem with my stomach. I had an upper endoscopy three years ago that was clear.
Thanks for your replies and support !
Bookmark and Share

Online rileybug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of stomach cancer
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 10:53:22 AM »
have another stomach scope-i just had one on new yers eve day-you get the results then and youre mind ill be at ease.
Bookmark and Share

Offline elkulioso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 11:25:12 AM »
Roulolox,

I know how anxiety affects people, trust me I am a major sufferer of anxiety. Your mind starts to tell your body that you are suffering from axniety. Nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite and constant fatigue and ALL major casues of anxiety. Trust me, if they did a abdominal scan, they would know if you had stomach cancer. I've been in your shoes, I know EXACTLY what you're going through. You are ok, and if you can tell yourself and believe it, the anxiety will go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »
According to my GI physician, there are no screening guidelines for how often one should get an EGD, as
it is symptom based. If you had an EGD 3 years ago, it may not be a bad idea to get another one. My GI
physician also told me that the incidence of stomach cancer increases at age 60 and is fairly rare.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »
I actually know someone who is in remission from stomach cancer. Believe me - you would know if you had stomach cancer. His symptoms were major major things that could not be ignored. Bottom line - even with his horrible symptoms, he's been in remission 3 years now.

A ct scan will not show the inside of the stomach but a clean ct is a good starting point. A normal endoscopy 3 years ago is also good. It takes awhile for stomach cancer to develop. Longer then 3 years I believe. If you are truly and terribly concerned, you could ask your GI doc for another endoscopy.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline roulolox

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 12:25:56 PM »
Thanks guys.
I will go and see my Doctor end of next week.
I am on vacations right now and, believe me or not, things are always worse for me ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »
According to my GI physician who is the head of the GI department at a major regional medical center said that unlike colon cancer
which typically take a certain period to grow, they are not sure exactly stomach cancer takes to develop. If someone has recurring
symptoms, barretts esophagus and the like screening needs to be done every 2 or so years.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »
I had an esophageal ulcer diagnosed in June 2005 by EGD and had a repeat EGD 6 weeks later to check on the
treatment.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: