Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Terrified of carbon monoxide poisoning/dying in my sleep  (Read 491 times)

Offline ope211

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Terrified of carbon monoxide poisoning/dying in my sleep
« on: January 02, 2014, 02:41:03 AM »
I feel so stupid for this, but I won't be able to sleep until someone can talk me down. From time to time I've fixated on certain things that I become absolutely convinced will happen. A few years ago it was nuclear war, for example. Right now it's carbon monoxide. I'm home from college and we have a gas stove and central heating, I'm not sure of the specifics. They're all turned off right now, and since no one is showering I guess the water heater is turned off. My parents don't have any CO detectors and I'm afraid to ask them to buy one or to tell them about my fear. I'm 18 years old, for God's sake. But I'm absolutely terrified that if I go to sleep a CO leak will happen and I'll die without knowing what's happening. To me, that is the absolute worst way to go. My parents and my little brother are asleep right now, I'm so afraid a leak is happening and they'll die too and I won't be able to protect them. I'm smart, I'm rational, I'm studying science-but I just can't shake this, I could really use some reassurance just to get me through the night.  :traurig001:

I hate feeling like this.  :traurig001:  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemmaa0207

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Terrified of carbon monoxide poisoning/dying in my sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 04:12:03 AM »
Why don't u order some from eBay? They are as little as 2 for 2 and that will give u peice of mind! Your parents should support your concerns. Personally if it was to happen which is highly unlikely you wouldn't know I'm the slightest it would be like dieing in your sleep. Believe me death scares the hell out of me but I can think of worse ways to die. Try relax about it and order some detectors
Bookmark and Share

Offline Quetzal828

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
I agree with Gemmaa. Installing some CO detectors is a simple, cheap solution. You can even get the plug-in kind and put it next to your bed. You should explain your anxiety to your parents and tell them it's interfering with your sleep -- sometimes, just talking about it with someone else helps.

Also, you can take some comfort in the fact that all developed countries have laws -- building codes, minimum product safety standards, inspection requirements, etc. -- to drastically mitigate the risk of CO poisoning. Most instances of CO poisoning result from people with home meth labs and other sorts of riskier activities.
Bookmark and Share

Online park682

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
I just want to let you know that you are not alone with this fear. I had that fear about 10 years ago and because of it, I slept with my window open (even in the dead of winter) and about two years ago, I found out that sleeping with my window open was getting me pretty sick.

I think the Co2 detectors are the best decision, that helped me!
Bookmark and Share