Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I can relax, start to doze off, but it seems like I just can't *get* to sleep  (Read 580 times)

Offline JCWest

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Hey guys,

I have been like this for 3 nights now, with the last one being entirely awake aside from maybe 30 minutes of sleeping. On Sunday night I started fretting about an old health anxiety, this kept me up all night worrying. The next day I was fine with that issue, but I was really scared about going to bed that night because I thought I would have trouble sleeping. Sure enough I only got 3 hours sleep. Then last night, nothing.

I sit there, my mind is not racing, I can concentrate on an idea or nothing at all, but this will go on for hours and I won't get any sleep! Can anyone relate to this? It's very different from the seemingly common racing-mind state. I know it's anxiety fueled because as I sit there my chest will start to get tight.

Any words of advice would go a long way right now for someone operating on very little sleep  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline JCWest

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Anybody? :( I feel like I'm crazy...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alvie22

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
While I can't completely relate, I am also currently suffering from insomnia. We have similar symptoms like I will lay there with my eyes closed, begging sleep to come but it simply doesn't. I'm not sure about you, but before this past month of December, I would sleep 10 hours if I wanted to, and I could even take like a 2 hour nap during the day as well. Suddenly, it all changed. You are not alone. Many of the people here are suffering from insomnia. Please don't feel like you are the only one in the world who has these symptoms!
Bookmark and Share

Offline nobody

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Shameless now nameless now nothing now no one now
    • Poke This Member
I've had the same kind of insomnia for my whole life, I can easily get myself in a meditative state where I don't focus on anything at all, or just my breath for hours, yet still not fall asleep, despite being completely relaxed & not moving a single muscle of my body an hour at a time. I find that thinking can actually help, yet it's not a guarantee. One of the things that helps me doze off, is visualizing a dual rotation, like, a clock with its arrows going clockwise, the clock itself going counterclockwise & your vision, or point of view going, again clockwise, it's hard to describe, but seems to trick the mind somehow to getting to sleep quicker, though it doesn't always work. Another thing is to superficially visualize a thing that you do on a regular basis. Like, if you like a certain video game, visualize it being played out, but don't put any effort or reason for what's going on in it, rather have your character randomly go around, spin around, do completely unplanned & chaotic things. That helps the mind ease itself into sleep as (I'm just guessing) you start to function in a way your subconscious does. Listening to guided meditations is also a thing that can help, but doesn't always, "Activating Your Chakras Through the Light Rays" by Aeoliah is a really good & relaxing one, it also has some deep breathing meditation into it, which also helps & the music is really good to help you get in a more meditative state.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dondada

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
For me, getting to sleep is more about letting your mind wander and settle into sleep. One line of thought that helps catalyze this sleep process (for me) is thinking about people I haven't seen in a very long time. I try to focus on their unique physical features, like their face, eyes, voice and so on, and my mind generally tends to fall into that sleep state.

I definitely empathize with your sleep problems and hope you find restful sleep soon.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: