Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 999 times)

Offline mhmommy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Radiation
« on: January 01, 2014, 03:06:14 PM »
I am new to HA.

I went to ER for panic attack in June and had first xray, ct. a lung nodule was found and after that i kind of went nuts, think i have lung cancer which could be. i am a 39 yo mom of 3 kids, ages 5, 11 and 14. our lives have changed since then so much for the worse. and i don't know what to do. the dr ordered pet/ct in august cause i lost weight (i was scared and did not know what this would mean) and now i feel my life is over from all of the radiation. had my chest ct follow up in november and it also was not low dose. im scaring everyone and feel sick every day.
i had no idea if it was contrast, what, no experience at all and was so scared. dr did not discuss it with me, no one did along the way and up
to the exam.

anyone have ideas, think maybe im not dying now but maybe down the road. i never had a ct before this and now ive had tons of radiation,
about the same as atomic bomb victims and no one believes im ill because of it. anyone had 20+ msv? i am so scared.

i love my family and every day am so sad that this might be it, or that i won't be around as long as i naturally would have due to this awful mistake. i have a hard time looking ***** my kiddos knowing i jeopardized my health and made the hugest mistake of my life for no good reason and might leave them because of it, and am definitely not as good of a parent because of it. i used to be so carefree and happy, and now i feel im dying every day and am sad, sick feeling.

please help and suggestions. am breaking down and picking up my zoloft today.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Radiation
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 04:57:31 PM »
Did the ER doctor mention that the nodule could be cancer at all?

Also, you could have lost weight did to being so anxious about it. Anxiety can definitely reduce your appetite.

Doctors would never expose you to radiation as high as a nuclear blast. I mean. Their job is to make people better. They'd never do anything if it goes past the point of being helpful and starts doing damage.

An old guy I work with has actually been banned from having any more X-rays or ct scans in his life because of some interns at a hospital he was in once that didn't communicate and gave him waaay too many Ct scans. Like two-three a day for about theee weeks. He has to wear a medical bracelet and everything so doctors and emergency etc know.

I think if you'd been exposed to anywhere near a dangerous level they'd probably do that for you as well. BUT I highly doubt it. The guy this happened to received the extra radiation about 25 years ago. Science has improved so much since then. And radiation as a medical treatment is used every day. Doctors would know how to use it :)

I hope you feel better soon. Keep us updated! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline hijikata

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:29:06 PM »
There was only a 1.8% increase in estimated cancers between 0.005 gy and 0.1 gy (i.e 5msv-100msv) in the hiroshima bombing. This lead to 81 extra cancers for the controlled population, who recieved this dose far away from the epicentre of the bomb. You have received nowhere near the same amount of radiation as nuclear bomb survivors. There is absolutely no proof, only pseudoscience when it comes to doses below 50msv. For example, people who work in the nuclear industry are allowed up to 50msv of radiation exposure per year. Astronauts will often get double to triple this amount when in space. People living in higher altitude places will receive 10msv a year in just background radiation.  The best thing you can do is not worry about the doses you have received thus far as they are actually fairly minimal, especially for somebody your age as radiation is more dangerous to people under 20, and try to reduce any further radiation exposure by only getting scans if they are 110% required to save your life. Neil Armstrong Received a hell of a lot more radiation than you in the lunar landing and he lived a very long and prosperous life!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 06:13:18 PM »
Thank you. Yes, they said it has to be followed
because it is noncalcified.

still kicking myself every day I did not understand
risks I just wanted to know I didn't have cancer but it causes it
I did not research before the appt. like I normally would.

I just feel like I'm going to either get lung cancer from repeated
exposure or from radiation. Makes it hard for me to
enjoy life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Krum1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »
I have had a lot of radiation too.  Every time I'd have a panic attack and end up in the ER, They'd give me a chest X-ray.  I also had numerous CT Scans due to a rare condition I had with my Thymus 8 years ago.  I lost count of the number of ct scans I had. Not good for someone who struggles with Health Anxiety ::) I thought I had put my anxiety issues behind me and went about 7 years with no issues.  I had a relapse this past summer.  A panic attack led to yet another ct scan when ER doc suspected I had a blood clot (negative).  A month after that another panic attack sent me back to the ER.  My blood work and EKG were inconclusive so I had a stress test with contrast (more radiation).  I worry about radiation exposure everyday.  I know some of my exposure over the past 10 years I brought on myself due to ER visits prompted by my anxiety/panic attacks.  To think I might have jeopardized my future health by all this radiation because I couldn't get my anxiety under control makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. I've expressed My concerns to my doctor who keeps trying to assure me, even after all the radiation I've had, it's still nothing to worry about.  I hope she's right. I've come to the realization that I cannot change the past and need to focus on the things I do have control over (like not running to the ER every time I have a panic attack!)  I'm just trying to take care of myself the best I can by Exercising, eating healthy, taking my meds and continuing therapy.  There's lots of holistic advice out there on how to detox your body, especially after radiation exposure.  Not sure if it works, but it has made me feel a little better to try these things. 

I hope you start feeling better.  Talking to your doc or a therapist might help too.  Keep us posted on how you're doing:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
Thx krum we're the cts you had just neck ?
and in what period of time? I'm pretty conscious
prior to this eating etc so I feel I've blown it had no
idea I think any rad is a risk. I've done everything
you're not supposed to do:(
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 06:34:41 PM »
Being here helps and helps keep me off google
and the bad stuff I already know now.
thanks again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Krum1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 06:45:25 PM »
My scans were all of my chest.  (The Thymus is found in front of the heart). It's  part of the immune system and is Normally absorbed by the body by adulthood.  Mine was growing and looked suspiciously like cancer.  I had it removed and Thankfully no cancer.  CT scans were used to diagnose my condition, taken pre and post op and annually for 3 years until my surgeon was satisfied all was well.  Initially I had 3 or 4. in a 6 month period.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 06:49:02 PM »
Do you know if they were low dose
or what the msv was for each?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Krum1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 06:54:06 PM »
One positive thing about having the most recent CT scan over the summer was that I got confirmation that everything was still clear.  No tumors or other suspicious findings caused by all of the radiation I had 8 years ago.  So far so good  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Krum1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
I'm not sure what the msv was for each but I'm fairly certain the ones ordered by my surgeon were higher dose.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 07:05:38 PM »
Gomu
That's the problem I was distracted scared abiut lung cancer
and I trusted the dr that ordered this.. don't know now why we
didn't research more it seemed safe & the option no no one
should be endangered... she did not take first ct into account, the exposure
and full body was msv so yeah I'm *****
atomic bomb level and scared to death.
no one should do that to a patient.
I was at the 2nd top pulmonary hospital in us
national jewish.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 07:09:31 PM »
krum what holistic are you doing
I've tried bone broth, miso soup,
amazing grass with chloroella etc,
theanine, green tea and daily vitamins,
b complex, d vit etc. magnesium.
am working with therapist too thx :)
working on meds will prob take time.
so glad to have people who understand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 07:13:12 PM »
Krum
was last year ct chest ct? I hope it was low dose
how much msv was stress test?
I think the numbers online for these tests are
too low sometimes.
yes I'll keep u all posted as I have to continue
to have lung nodules followed every 6-12
mos Til dr says it's ok or something's growing etc.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Krum1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 09:45:08 PM »
Last CT was in May. Stress test/contrast was in August.  I purposely didn't find out what the  msv was.  I would obsess and panic myself over it.  Panic is what drove me to the ER (and the tests) in the first place.  I know right now I'm not in a good place with my anxiety and googling the radiation would only make things worse for me.  It's on my medical records and my doc (who I trust) is aware. She keeps reassuring me I'm fine. 

As far as holistic remedies, I try to consume regularly shiitake mushrooms, green tea, blueberries, cruciferous veggies, vitamin d and b.  There's an anti Cancer diet by Dr Weil that seems to have some good research behind it.   You might want to check that out.  I completely understand what you're going thru.  Worrying over your health is brutal.  I have young kids too and all I think about is how they will be affected if something happens to me.  It's incredibly stressful.  It sounds like you're being proactive in talking to a therapist and taking meds which will only help.  Hang in there and stay off google! :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: