Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Heart/ Meningitis Scare and Anxiety is making me feel hopeless...  (Read 144 times)

Offline memphisGuy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'll make this short.

Last week between Dec. 24 and -26 my girlfriend was hospitalized with meningitis (viral). She woke up with a stiff neck that she could barely move and all other symptoms. The doctors did a great job of treating her and giving her the proper antibiotics etc. Now here's the twist, the DAY BEFORE she woke up with all of that we had.. "relations" kissing etc etc lol. That was last week, she's doing okay now and since it seems like my health is on the fritz. I had a MAJOR panic attack Monday night (not related to meningitis worry) I've barely been eating and now MY neck feels stiff...and I just don't know what to do. I'm dealing with so much mental anxiety at this point that I feel a panic attack is just around the corner. I am constantly thinking of my heart and my muscles feel weak, also weird tingling in my left foot only. I am such a wreck, I really just want some feedack, someone who understands and knows this is all mental or that things will be okay.

Please feel free to comment. It would help tremendously.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart/ Meningitis Scare and Anxiety is making me feel hopeless...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 02:07:29 PM »
Hi MG...

I'm sorry to hear what your girlfriend and you are going through.  Glad that your girlfriend is receiving proper medical treatment, and that she is doing well.   You didn't mention anything about treatment that you are receiving.

Long term/chronic problems with anxiety/panic attack/depression become more than just a "mental" condition, they have an actual physical component.  Chronic release of stress hormones actually destroy/atrophy areas of the brain known as the hippocampus.  This can cause a vicious cycle of anxiety, panic attacks, intrusive/negative thoughts, and/or depression.  We all go through episodes of situational anxiety and depression, but chronic problems frequently escalate to a point where profession intervention is required.

For myself, I am seeing a psychiatrist.  She is in charge of managing my care because she is a physician.  She can provide a diagnosis, prescribe medication, and recommend other forms of treatment.  She started me on a new anti-depressant some 5-6 weeks ago, and that is really helping.  I will also be seeing a therapist at the end of the month, to start cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).  There is also a lot I am doing on my own such as exercise, meditating, getting proper sleep, keeping myself well hydrated with water, and eating frequent, small, healthier meals.

The best to both your girlfriend and you, MG!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Artman9865

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart/ Meningitis Scare and Anxiety is making me feel hopeless...
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 03:14:58 PM »
Sorry to hear about that happening my younger brother had the same thing happen last year he had a horrible headache and he was in the hospital overnight he was all good by the next day. Thankfully viral is the easy one to get rid of. My doctor just gave me some extra meds till my anxiety level goes down and they really help and staying positive helps alot
Bookmark and Share

Tags: