Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety & Paniic Attacks From Class A Drugs  (Read 147 times)

Offline loydE1

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety & Paniic Attacks From Class A Drugs
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:59:59 AM »
Hi,

I have suffererd from anxiety and panic attacks for over 15 years now and at times find it really hard to cope. It has effected my work, travel and day to day things you do.

I smoked a lot of cannabis from my early teens to early 20s until a massive string of anxiety & panic attacks during smoking made me stop. I then started using ecxtasy havally that gave me huge highs but even bigger lows that also bought on the anxiety and worry that has stayed with me for life now.

I have been clean from drugs for 5 years now but use alcohol quite alot and will use alcohol to surpress the anxiety when required. When im down i will not go out in the car as i know a panic attack will trigger from previuos exsperiance. My mind thinks alot and i have negative thoughts, my past has made me this way and i dont like it. Alcohol makes me happy and worry free but i know its wrong...Maybe i need to talk to someone..has anyone else had a past like this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety & Paniic Attacks From Class A Drugs
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 12:38:54 PM »
Hi Loyd...  Welcome to Anxiety-Zone.  You are among understanding people.

I had a severe problem with chemical dependency, both alcohol and drugs, but have been clean and sober for almost 24 years now.  I wasn't having any problems with anxiety/panic attacks/depression while I was drinking and using drugs.  My problems with anxiety/panic attacks/depression occurred some four years ago.

Kudos to you for staying away from drugs such as marijuana and ecstasy for the last five years.  The however to this is that alcohol is also considered a drug.  I know that many people use alcohol to numb their troubles and anxiety, but it is my understanding that in the long run, this just makes the situation worse.  To break this cycle, I would highly recommend that you seek profession help.  I see a psychiatrist.  She is in charge of my mental health care, as she is a physician, can provide a diagnosis, and prescribe medication too.  She started me on Citalopram (Celexa), some 5-6 weeks ago.  Citalopram is an anti-depressant.  When using anti-depressants, you don't want to drink any alcohol, as that defeats their purpose.  The difference in my anxiety/panic attacks/depression since I started on Citalopram, has been wonderful.  I will also be seeing a therapist at the end of the month, to learn cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).  I have been involved with Alcoholics Anonymous for the entire duration of my sobriety, over 23 years now.

I hope this provides you with some useful information.  The best to you, Loyd!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety & Paniic Attacks From Class A Drugs
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 01:35:13 PM »
Loyd, I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I've suffered from depression since I was in about 4th grade. I'm now 33, but when I tried smoking, or alcohol, they never really did anything for me. Even most RX pain killers make me sick and not in the wooohooo kind of way.

My brother, on the other hand, is bi-polar. But for many, many years he didn't want to admit it. He would be at the bottom of a cycle and would start taking his meds. A few weeks/months later he'd be on a high cycle and would stop taking them.

He eventually turned to alcohol as a self-medicated way of dealing with his problems. And he very quickly turned into an alcoholic. It broke my heart knowing what he was doing.

So, congrats on staying away from street drugs. HOWEVER, please, be very careful about using alcohol to help with your anxiety! I've seen what it can do to not only you but those who love you as well!
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Tags: