Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Swine Flu / H1N1  (Read 578 times)

Offline sad_dad

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Swine Flu / H1N1
« on: January 01, 2014, 12:39:24 AM »
All 3 of us in my house have it right now. We were all vaccinated this Fall, but didn't do any good. Major body aches and headache. Fever that comes and goes. Fatigue. Uncontrollable dry hacking cough.

This strain KILLS. AND not just the very old or very young.

13 have died in Houston from it this season, and 3 were otherwise healthy middle aged men.

Its all a roll of the dice. No cure. Went to the doctor, they sent us home and said rest, fluids, and stay home. A lot of help they were.

Just praying my loved ones don't lose the death lottery with this flu. Scares the hell out of me.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Swine Flu / H1N1
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 05:34:17 AM »
Did the doctor actually say ' yes, this is the swine flu '? Or is you saying ' yes, this is the swine flu '? Sure has been a while since this one has popped up. I do remember when it was a big think a few years back. Then we had the bird flu. But with such things all you can do is rest and make sure you drink lots of water. They have no real answers for such things. Even the common flu they have no answer for. It is always just something you have to ride out. Burn it out of your system. Very little doctors can do. If it was the swine flu and they sent you to a hospital they would fear it would spread in the hospital and kill older patients and those people who were weak due to other illnesses. Hope your family manage to get over it without too much trouble.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:51:55 AM »
From what a doctor friend told me once. Swine flu has been incredibly over publicised...

He said to me that EVERY flu strain has the potential to be deadly and that swine flu is no different. But he also said that 99.99% of people who do contract it are just fine.

The reason (according to him) that it got so much attention is that it was both a fast moving and interspecies virus (from pigs) which raised to authorities that the globalisation and easy accessibility of planes Would make it easier for viruses to spread quickly around the world.

So the media did what the media does best and panicked. Which made all of the people exposed to the media panic.

You guys will all be just fine. :). Hope you fell better soon - keep us posted!
Bookmark and Share

Offline opheliaaa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 06:18:17 AM »
Swine flu is just a normal flu pretty much. It was way over dramatised! It hit where I live really bad and lots of people at my school got it but everyone is fine now. Just get some rest, drink lots of water and you'll feel better very soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sad_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 11:09:32 AM »
Did the doctor actually say ' yes, this is the swine flu '? Or is you saying ' yes, this is the swine flu '?

The 2009 H1N1 is the dominant strain this season, as reported by the US CDC. The doctor didn't want to do blood testing, but chances are very likely.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/
Bookmark and Share

Offline gibzster

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 01:39:43 PM »
OMG! I hope you and your family are OK and get well soon. I was actually scared about getting H1N1!!!. I live in northwest Louisana (not far from Texas) and they were talking about the H1N1 infections that were happening in Texas. The local news was encouraging people to go get shots  I have not gone anywhere all winter break because I didn't want to be around people and possibly get it. I was thinking of going and getting a vaccination before school starts back next week. . . . Get well soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sad_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 07:52:03 PM »
Things have finally gotten better after a very miserable few days. Still coughing, still have some congestion, but aches and pains and fever have gone.

They say the cough can hang around for a couple of weeks. My guts hurt from coughing so much and so hard.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soccerash21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 10:32:52 PM »
Hi Sad-dad,

I saw your post and had to comment.

This past Sunday I started having and on again/off again fever, chills, headache, body ache, congestion, cough. I went to the dr Monday and she said it was just viral, and gave me some flonase and cough medicine. My fever hung around for almost 3 days, and just yesterday I started feeling a bit better. However, last night I started having super weird leg pains, which I am hoping are just from being so sick and laying in bed for 3 days as I am usually relatively active. My husband just caught a fever today, so I am praying that his goes away soon. It sounds like we had the exact thing though- I live in Southern California. I hope you and your family are feeling better!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sad_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 12:27:21 AM »
So just wanted to update this....

Here I am, its now Jan. 12th. Ten days after the main flu symptoms have gone, but I still have this damned cough. It comes in fits. Non-productive, mainly dry cough, but once I get that cough spasm, its very intense.

Wish it would just go away already, but I've been reading these post-flu coughs can last 2-3 weeks. I don't have any other worrisome symptoms with the cough, so guess I just have to ride it out.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: