Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Damn Leg Twitches  (Read 345 times)

Offline gvjaguar

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Damn Leg Twitches
« on: December 31, 2013, 07:54:04 PM »
I've had it. These leg twitches in my calves, knees, feet, quads, thighs, and butt are driving me crazy and I can't take them anymore. I'm just so scared I have ALS and I'm only 21. All of these damn twitches started after I started standing for long hours as a cashier, but I don't know if the two are related. I just want them TO STOP. I'm absolutely horrified something is wrong because of all these twitches everywhere. Has anyone on this board ever experienced like this before and seen the light at the end of the tunnel? I've absolutely had it with this twitches and I can't take it anymore. I've also had twitches in my eyes, elbows, hands, and shoulders. I'm just so tired of all this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline utahguy058

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Damn Leg Twitches
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 01:30:17 AM »
I know how scared you hard and how hard this is. I can offer some comfort as twitching, and numbness, and pins and needles, and burning, and every neuro issue under the sun has affected my body. I am currently starting to get much reprieve after 4 months. I still have eye twitching and calf and foot arch twitching. And I went running tonight for the first time in 4 months and wouldn't you know it, I still have some endurance left, I was surprised. But the activity has my foot twitching like crazy tonight. Maybe I was premature with the running, but the point is that if I had ALS there is no chance on earth that I would of been able to run at all! You would not be able to stand. I promise you that you do not have ALS. I was also having weird internal tremors and buzzing. I started to calm down my anxiety with a therapist and some Viibryd and it has made a huge help. The internal buzzing is done and all I have is a few twitches left over. I think that I probably have a pinched nerve up in my lower back or from my piriformis muscle that I am going to see about. I don't remember if you have been to a doctor yet. I am sure he would of reassured you that you do not have ALS. But if you wanted to seek peace of mind you could see a neurologist and get an EMG done on yourself to check the nerves. My best guess is that you are dealing with one of two things, you either are dealing with BFS, or benign fasciculation syndrome. Or you are dealing with muscle fatigue/a pinched nerve that is inflamed, or muscle inflammation pinching off nerves. I know without a question that you do not have ALS. It simply isn't possibly with your lifestyle you lead. You would be experience things like toe drop and clinical weakness. You would be tripping and falling all the time. Remember that weakness precedes fasciculations and that the twitching with ALS is very fine and often needs a black light to be seen. It starts in one area until the muscle starts to die then moves. It is not random twitching over entire body. You simply don't have ALS. I would put money on BFS or some sort of inflammation blocking off your nerves or a pinched nerve. It also could just be from exhaustion from standing so much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bittersweetlife

• Cowardly neurotic anxious stressed out depressed human being.
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 02:26:06 AM »
OMG these leg twitches happens to me before which led me to MS/ALS scare! Everytime i relax my body or lie down on my bed suddenly my legs were like vibrating as if they were a made of jelly especially on my calves and knees, not to mention also in my chest, neck and butt! So normally what you are experiencing is caused by your anxiety. Oh and the twitching in eyelid is pretty common so deal with it. I used to have a post here about twitches on my knees which drives me crazy and obsessed about ALS and all of the people here in AnxietyZone experienced it too. sometimes they even twitch persistently even when they are sleeping. that happens to me too! As far as i know, twitched related to ALS are localized and usually a late symptom of ALS. since you mentioned that you have twitches all over your body, i highly doubt we all have ALS

My advice is try to relax, Those twitches are quite normal and usually related to your Stress and Anxiety.
ALS-no Anxiety-yes

Happy New Year and best of lucks for us!

hugs.
Bookmark and Share
"There's a time & a place to die.. but this ain't it" - Paramore (from the song "Now")
Hakuna Matata - "It means no worries" - Timon & Pumba (Disney's Lion King)
“Anxiety's like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you very far.” - Jodi Picoult, Sing You Home

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 07:08:12 PM »
I want to thank both of you for replying to my post... I've had a really rough past couple weeks due to this paralyzing fear or ALS and its literally taken me to the brink. I appreciate and take comfort in knowing I'm not the only one experiencing these symptoms, its just so hard to believe anxiety is at the root of the cause, especially when twitches are abundant always beating you down.

I went running yesterday, about two miles in the freezing cold and snow and I had no problem doing it, although my legs definitely twitched afterward which made things awful again. Today my left calf is really sore, tight, and twitching, which further brings my ALS fear to the front of my mind. I tried to shake the thought of not having ALS but it just keeps rearing its ugly head over and over, I just can't break the cycle. Tonight after dinner I read that ALS could start in your hips which sent me into a frenzy... I've had a really weird tremor/fluttering twitch like just under my left buttock in my thigh on the underside of my leg and I'm convinced it HAS to be ALS.

Have either of you experienced this fluttering under your thigh or around there? I'm just scared it means the muscle is atrophying and that's why its doing that. Also, since I'm getting twitches in both legs, even though its more in my left leg, could that possibly rule out ALS? I thought it only starts in one limb, not two. But either way I'm still horrified. Is there any tests I can perform on my own to rule this out as well? I can't keep living in fear.

Thanks again to both of you for replying, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you helping to keep my sanity. I'm only 21... I don't want to die of ALS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 07:16:22 PM »
I've had a really weird tremor/fluttering twitch like just under my left buttock in my thigh on the underside of my leg

If you've had it, which means it's not constant than it's not ALS. Also, like you said yourself, ALS starts in a limb not all over the body. Also, it starts as atrophy first, then because of atrophy muscles start twitching and they never stop. ALS is progressive disease, it doesn't get better ever. So, first atrophy, then twitches. Finally, you are way too young for ALS.

One last thing, I've had twitching in my left triceps constantly for 3 weeks. Definitely ALS, at least I thought that then, but neurologist talk some sense into me, and explained why it can't be ALS. Home test? Try running, doing squats...whatever you do, trust me you don't have ALS. What you have is BFS, benign fasciculation syndrom which is anxiety related. I still have twitches, one year later, in different parts of body, not constantly of course, but now I know that they are anxiety related so I don't pay attention to them, which I would advice you to do as well.

Take care
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 07:28:22 PM »
Wow, thanks for the speedy reply, very kind of you.

Just wanted to ask a quick question on a couple points. You say the twitching in ALS is constant, as in it never stops? Just because I have random twitches doesn't mean ALS because the twitching comes after atrophy, and since I can still run Im probably okay?

I've experienced twitching all over, but the hot spots seem to be my left leg, but since it goes away if im standing or moving is that also a good sign its not this horrid disease?

Thanks again, im appreciative of your help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 07:32:48 PM »
If it goes away anyhow it is not ALS, period. ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 07:43:18 PM »
Really? Even if its on and off throughout the day on the same spot, that's not considered constant. I guess I was just wondering what the twitching in ALS is actually like.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 08:02:32 PM »
Same as any twitching you feel, but the cause is different. The reason muscles start to twitch in ALS is because motor neurons are dying, muscles start to atrophy and because of that they twitch. Progressive means that it doesn't get better. When limbs start to twitch it means that muscles are atrophied to a certain degree and it never gets better. That's why it can't be on and off, it can't be all over the body, even though it's worse in some part of your body. Your symptoms are just not ALS, and whatever you write it won't make it seem like ALS 'cause it's not. And I am also not sure that I can convince you that it's not ALS but in a month you will see for yourself because you won't be losing ability to use your left leg. ;)

Basically, you have 3 options :

1. You can trust people on this forum that are telling you that you are fine and just let the time pass, 'cause in a month it will be pretty clear what your situation is. :)

2. Go see neurologist who will confirm that it's not ALS, but you can choose not to trust him either because,

3. Only test for ALS is EMG, so you can go tomorrow and do that, and btw I think it's the worst option. Eventually, you will have to learn to cope with anxiety and stop doing million tests to check different diseases. My recommendation is to start that right now. Feel the anxiety, continue you life, wait the time to pass and in time you will be happy that you didn't go to doctor even though you felt that it has to be ALS, and you will be proud of yourself because of that.

Although, that thing you wrote could point out to ALS....nah, just kiddin' :) Happy New Year, and relax a bit! ;)

Take care
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 08:09:57 PM »
I had twitches in my eye, calf, thighs over my recent MS scare. Like everyone else, they came and went. When my HA moved on to my head the twitches stopped. My wife....got so stressed by my stress her eye started to twitch. We all had a good laugh.

Everyone is right...stress can cause anything.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 08:21:06 PM »
Wow, thanks to both of you. All of that information has definitely helped to calm me down. I know it won't be easy and this may sound silly, but I vow that once I get out of this hole I dug myself in I will come back and tell everyone my story.

Ping - I went through an MS scare a month ago and finally got it out of my head, unfortunately ALS was the next thing that caused me to go haywire. Its so weird to think that before November I was a normalish and didn't have the slightest worry about either disease. Hopefully in a matter of time I can reduce my fear of ALS and beat this neuro nasty once and for all.

Hypo - Thank you for that wonderful and in depth explanation as to how that manifests itself. That has definitely made me more calm and I'm working on trying to un do the damage I've done to myself over the course of the last month and a half. So basically, if I'm understanding this right, muscle twitching ONLY occurs after said limb quits working and because of that the twitching is constant because its trying to restart the muscle? But if I have random twitches and they stop then that means its NOT do to atrophy? If that's the case I'll.be a very happy man.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »
Yes.

Now go be a very happy man. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »
My suggestion for you.....

Go figure out why you have health anxiety. You know in your heart you don't have MS or ALS, what is the fear inside you that you are manifesting into these physical sensations.

You have a stressor os some sort and the quicker you figure out what it is the better you will be in the long run. I am 36 now and my HA came around age 32. I am on my 4th episode and each one has been harder to battle. This time though I am seeing a therapist and have uncovered how messed up some of my past life experiences were and how I put a happy face on them to cope.

I am not saying you need to go to therapy which is actually nothing bad in the least bit. I am just saying explore you feelings and see what fear you have. I have always repressed my feelings and thought I was emotionally fine....until I began exploring it wasn't until I realized I wasn't.

The best news is that is ok too..... you come out the other side stronger. My new goal, to get to a place where I recognize my HA spiking next go around so I don't hve to run off to the internet for advice. I can rationalize myself before it gets to the next level. Easier said than done but I think possible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shen

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 09:07:47 PM »
pingman, i sent you a pm
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 10:12:22 PM »
Thanks again, to all of you. You're really helping me keep this in perspective. I guess the thing that really set my anxiety off tonight is that I saw that horrible disease which shall not be named could start in your hips. Both of the quads/thigh have seemed weak to me lately after excessive walking or running or squatting and that's what set me off. However, I should keep in mind that the disease only strikes one limb at a time and that if I can still run, stand on my toes, heels, balance on one leg, and the fact that Im 21, then I guess I should be okay.

None of these problems started until I began working as a cashier and standing long hours of the days in bad shoes. I wonder if the strain of standing all day could have started causing me these problems.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: