Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Brain Eating Amoeba  (Read 479 times)

Offline opheliaaa

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Brain Eating Amoeba
« on: December 31, 2013, 12:43:55 AM »
Hi,

I had a cold so I stupidly decided to rinse my sinuses with half tap water, half boiled water and salt. Then I went to check how often you could do this and discovered this Brain Eating Amoeba. I'm terrified because I'm only 19 and I thought to myself, I'd rather die than have serious brain damage. I saw the symptoms and now I think I'm imagining them. It's only day 3 but I've got a stiff neck and headache but I think the headaches from my cold and I feel a bit disorientated but I think that's just from anxiety. I've been crying because I'm so scared and I told my mum and she said that we'd just have to wait and see if I had it and I cried again. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night just to check I could smell perfume and stuff still. I just want to disappear until this is all over.

I also woke up with a really sore jaw and teeth so I must have been grinding my teeth all night. Bad habit of mine.

I live in Melbourne, Australia btw.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Brain Eating Amoeba
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 06:32:05 AM »
I am doubting very much you will get any form of brain eating amoeba. It is just your mind working over time. You read things and you think the worst. You think the worst and you begin to panic. You begin to panic and the symptoms feel like those you have read about. Round and round it goes. Just stop reading such things. Find something else to do. Take your mind off of yourself. It was just a cold you had. Nothing else at all.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline opheliaaa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 06:41:46 AM »
You're right, I mind is working over time but I just can't get these stupid thoughts out of my head. It's New Years Eve and even that's not distracting me. I keep checking my symptoms and temperature. It's driving me crazy. The water in Melbourne is supposedly the cleanest in the world but I'm still freaking out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:43:06 AM »
I currently have this fear as well. I'm 26, had/have a cold and I was in the shower, and in an attempt to clear mucus from my nose, I in essence picked both nostrils with my wet shower fingers. I'm freaking out as well, I'm only on day 2 and sometimes feel headachey and nauseated. I try to calm myself down by remembering how rare this disease is and that no matter what happens, God loves me.

I'm here with ya if you'd like to stay in contact over the next week until we are both "in the clear".
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alvie22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »
I agree with Cuchculan guys. I used to be afraid of this disease back when I was about 14. I had gone to the beach and I went to the pool in the hotel we stayed at. Water went in forcefully through my nose that it really hurt. I felt dizzy all the time, I never wanted to eat and I always felt tired. This amoeba takes about a week to kill someone, and I was already going into a month of my symptoms! It was all in my head. You guys will be fine.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »
I have my good moments and bad moments- more bad then good :-(

I am just waiting for the moment the symptoms will start. I too am smelling things and taking my temperature like crazy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 01:37:45 PM »
Hey! I'm 19 also & deal with these crazy fears. I promise you don't have a brain eating amoeba. You've convinced yourself all these symptoms are symptoms of this extremely rare disease and you need to know it's seriously just your brain playing tricks on you.  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »
I've got horrible sinus pressure now on my nose and between my eyes and I am freaking the F out!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline opheliaaa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 05:26:34 PM »
Okay it's day 4 now and my neck is feeling a little better and it's like my brain keeps going back and forth from you're fine and being silly to, oh my gosh you're going to die. Thanks for all your words of comfort guys, I'm so glad I joined this forum.

Bpadilla49, let's get through this together. I don't think sinus pressure is a symptom, I've checked a hundred times. If anything you're probably getting a cold.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »
The brain eating amoeba, while a very common species in warm ponds and lakes, actually very rarely attacks people, its more of a freakishly bad coincidence when it does.  It also wouldn't like salt, being a fresh water protistan.  Most attacks occur when sediment in warm bodies (summer) of water is stirred up and snorted into the sinuses, since the amoeba cant swim.  I can't think of how many times I have been in lakes or streams in summer in my younger days, stirred up sediment, and no ameobas ever bothered me.  Let alone getting shower water up my nose.   I would recommend boiling water before using it to clear your sinuses then letting it cool, but the chances of you having ameobas in there are far less than you driving to your local hospital or doctor and getting in an accident along the way.  In other words, you will be fine, its just a cold (and they can be quite painful sometimes).  Take it easy, and have a great New Year.
Bookmark and Share

Offline opheliaaa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »
Thanks 2sungo! That really helped but I feel bad to say that I still feel like one of those super unlucky ones. Happy New Year to you too though!

I feel a little nauseous and I keep burping but I think that's because I've got acid reflux from anxiety. *facepalm* Boy anxiety sucks!

I'm here with ya if you'd like to stay in contact over the next week until we are both "in the clear".

How are you feeling today?
Bookmark and Share

Offline opheliaaa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 04:57:58 AM »
Day 5... I thought I had a fever but when I got out the thermometer it said I was fine... My brain is still playing with me and it's driving me insane. Also the right side of my neck is sore. I think I pulled it from testing it so much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 09:32:37 AM »
I'm on day 3 now - it happened Sunday. I go back and forth as well from "you're fine and this is ridiculous" to "holy s*** I'm dying". I've discovered that I'm better in the evenings, and worse in the mornings. I too, feel feverish, but the thermometer says I'm fine. I'm still smelling things like crazy. I can't wait until next Monday :-(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alvie22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »
Bpadilla49, I understand you are freaking out but please relax. Like you, I also felt like I had a fever with the thermometer saying my temperature was fine. I even felt dizzy! If i remember correctly, this disease takes only a week to kill a person. If you truly did have it, you would be in bed and be completely unable to move! You'd be completely unresponsive and with a terribly high fever. Don't keep tormenting yourself!
Bookmark and Share

Offline opheliaaa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 04:23:35 PM »
You're right Alvie. This is getting ridiculous and I'm sure bpadilla agrees it's like a fight inside your brain.

Anyway my stomach felt a bit churney and I was serious when I thought if I went to bed, I wouldn't wake up but I did. Here I am another day...
Bookmark and Share