Tonight is pretty bad.
I recently posted yesterday that yesterday morning in the shower I was trying to clear mucus out of my nose, so in essence, yes, I picked my nose in the shower. Both nostrils. Our home is old, built in the 40s with most original plumbing in place. Hot water heater/boiler replaced within the last 7-10 years.
I'm terrified I've given myself the brain eating amoeba - naegleria fowleri.
My nasal cavity/sinuses feel weird today. I have to keep smelling my perfume to make sure I still have a sense of smell. I'm also regularly checking my temperature to make sure I don't have a fever. And while everything has been normal so far, I sit here and think about the symptoms starting and freak out.
The house is in the metro-Detroit area, on city water, treated with ozone and chlorine at a level at which naegleria fowleri would die - but i'm concerned about the pipes/faucets. That's the fear i'm holding onto right now.
I know about the two cases where people died in Louisana from using neti pots filled with tap water - one of the person's tankless hot water heaters held the amoebas, and the other person's faucets and shower head had the amoebas on it. I've also read articles where people have died from this, but it wasn't reported because the doctors simply thought it was meningitis. So I believe that this infection is more common then we think, based on reports. One report stated that out of 16,000 deaths in Virginia, the CDC went in and saw that 5 of those cases were actually from the brain eating amoeba, but it wasn't reported. ...that's got me scared.
I'm freaking out and terrified now. Please, someone knock some sense into me.