Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Side Effects From Long Term SSRI Use?  (Read 331 times)

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Side Effects From Long Term SSRI Use?
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:32:13 PM »
Hello everyone...

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are any side effects from long term SSRI use.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: Side Effects From Long Term SSRI Use?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:37:45 PM »
Probably the side effects we create in our head.  ;D  Be careful when you answer that response to a hypochondriac.  You'll never be able to give them a satisfying answer. 

I believe a few on this forum have been on antidepressants for um.... twenty years. And they're still alive and kickin', might I say?  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are any side effects from long term SSRI use.

Generally, the same ones seen in short term use after the initial side-effects diminish, mostly the hit on the libido. There were studies reporting they cause bone loss, but there are others showing they don't, plus anxiety and depression themselves are thought to contribute to it, particularly in women. Antidepressants also tend to slightly thin the blood which can be beneficial if heart disease is a factor and there is some evidence that they may protect against Alzheimer's. However, these are all small effects. People have been taking MAOIs and tricyclics for up to 6 decades, the SSRIs for 25 years and so far no serious issues have become evident. Untreated anxiety and depression is much more harmful. Stress probably kills more humans every year than any other cause.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline kutekat

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 03:18:53 AM »
i'm not sure if there's any negative effects from long term use of any antidepressant...i know people who have been on one for decades. the only thing is that it seems like it seems to poop out after years of working  :sick0002: just great! and if there are any..i'll take em over the possibility of being homebound at 60 or 6 feet under ground due to *****. sorry to be so blunt.
Bookmark and Share

Offline beast216

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 05:00:55 PM »
I was on lexapro for nearly a decade.  The long term effect.....trying to stop was extremely difficult.

I am back on it now (only 10 days in)...and interestingly having side effects similar to when I started taking it even though you would think my body would recognize an old friend.

Oh well...I like myself on it than off...so I will fight through.

Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 11:26:38 PM »
I am back on it now (only 10 days in)...and interestingly having side effects similar to when I started taking it even though you would think my body would recognize an old friend.

Unfortunately, not only doesn't it work that way the body is more likely to reject it. Side-effects are often more severe the second time around, and may also differ. Furthermore, you may need to take a higher dose to achieve previous results, and there is a significant chance that the med won't work at all with at least one study finding that the odds drop by nearly 20% if you've been on any antidepressant in the past and this accumulates through each discontinuation-restart cycle.  :(

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: