Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Effexor for GAD/HA?  (Read 202 times)

Offline Jazeraca

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Effexor for GAD/HA?
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
Hi all.

I was on 25 mg of Zoloft and I actually had a little bit of an improvement in symptoms but then my doc jumped me up to 100 mg and I went CRAY CRAY with anxiety to the point where I was even afraid of my own shadow. I stopped taking it immediately and have seen my doc since as she is out of office until later this week.

I want to try Effexor again as it really helped with my PD when i had that 10 years ago buuuuut i have heard it is even more activating than Zoloft so i am scared. I am thinking of using a neuroleptic that i have while i am on it (i have 3 weeks worth) until the Effexor settles as it is almost impossible for my doc to give any psych meds that are not ADs especially benzos.

Any advice for me? Thanks. :D
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, HA, BPD. LPR and peptic ulcer. Possible fibro.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: Effexor for GAD/HA?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:50:22 PM »
Hi Jazerca,

Sorry to hear about the uncontrollable anxiety.  Anxiety is a beast when it gets activated and un-managed.

Yesterday on the Intro forum, you wrote that you were on no meds.  Did you start meds this morning, after a visit to the ER?

Having a doctor prescribe you 25mg Zoloft (Setraline), and then have you jump 100mg, in one day, seems very unprofessional from a medical point of view.  A registered doctor should know better than to direct a patient at that high of a dosage jump.  If you were directed to that amount, so quickly, it's understandable that your body overreacted.  Personally I couldn't handle that increase overnight either, and I take Zoloft (Setraline) too.

Before you jump to Effexor, you should provide the forum more details about your current Zoloft prescription, such as how long have you been on it since today, and what dosage amounts you have taken.  Also take into consideration, that if you've been on antidepressants before, studies point out that the brain becomes more resistant to antidepressant medication, with each restart and stop period.  So you won't have the same initial effects, as you did in the beginning of your first use of antidepressants.  Often stopping and restarting antidepressant medication requires higher dosages on the user in order to sustain the changes in the brain that occur from the antidepressant indoctrination. 
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Online insights

• Rec's: 66
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:52:03 PM »
I was on 25 mg of Zoloft and I actually had a little bit of an improvement in symptoms but then my doc jumped me up to 100 mg

You went from 25mg to 100mg in one step? If so, fire your doctor. That is nuts even for depression, for someone with anxiety it borders on criminal, or should.

I want to try Effexor again as it really helped with my PD when i had that 10 years ago buuuuut i have heard it is even more activating than Zoloft so i am scared. I am thinking of using a neuroleptic that i have while i am on it (i have 3 weeks worth)

You had to take a neuroleptic to make it possible for you to tolerate Effexor initially?  Well, it could be even worse this time around. There is growing evidence that the initial side-effects become progressively worse each time antidepressants are stopped and restarted, and this is the case with all antidepressants, not just the one/s you've had before. To some degree this would account for your Zoloft experience too.

I don't rate Effexor for anxiety disorders. Yes, it does work, but at the doses typically prescribed for anxiety it is just another SSRI and it's not worth the difficulty many have discontinuing it when there are less troublesome SSRIs available. IMHO, Celexa (citalopram) and Lexapro (escitalopram) would be better bets, though there is no reason why you couldn't go back onto Zoloft, though more slowly. Effexor should be reserved for what it does best, pulling the severely depressed back from plunging into catatonia.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Jazeraca

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:11:02 AM »
Hi all, thanks for the replies. I am only taking nexium for the LPR. I had some loxapine left over from a few months ago that I wasn't taking any longer. I did take one last night and slept like a baby. Yes, the doc did do that, at the request of the psychiatrist that gave me a consultation, so I can't blame the doctor. I might try asking to take lexapro again - I was on it a whole ago and it was okay besides the insomnia. Or possibly celexa. Thanks all. :)
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, HA, BPD. LPR and peptic ulcer. Possible fibro.

Tags: