Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Citalopram At Five Weeks...  (Read 235 times)

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Citalopram At Five Weeks...
« on: December 29, 2013, 04:11:06 PM »
Hi everyone...

I have been on Citalopram (Celexa) for exactly five weeks now.  I was started on a therapeutic dose of 20 mg, and have been on the 20 mg for the full five weeks.  I have seen lots of positive changes in the last few weeks.  My depression seems to be completely gone.  Intrusive/negative thoughts are now pretty rare, and seem to pass through me quickly.  I am no longer having panic attacks, and the last few that I had were mild and short lived.  I'm sleeping better, my appetite is much improved, and I have even put on a few pounds that I had lost.

My question is regarding my anxiety.  Yesterday I had very little anxiety, and even had a few windows of feeling pretty close to normal.  Today I find myself more jittery, and having much more anxiety than yesterday.  Is this normal to have good and not so good days at five weeks into the treatment?

Thanks so much for any responses...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: Citalopram At Five Weeks...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 04:26:55 PM »
Glad to hear you're getting some good results, in comparison to where you were a month ago.

Stabilization on an antidepressant usually happens after three months.  This is the amount of time the brain requires to regenerate parts of the hippocampus that were damaged due to previous psychological stress, or atrophy, which resulted in the brain's malfunctioning, with un-needed anxiety attacks.  Since you've been on the Celexa (Citalopram) at five weeks, your brain is still adjusting, although you are already experiencing the positive side effects.  Usually a doctor will prescribe you a benzodiazepine in the interim, when these anxious episodes like today occur, before the medication fully kicks in.

For me, I had used the benzodiazepine, Klonopin (Clonazepam), a few times over the course of my antidepressant three-month, induction period.  Normally I used it at work, since I can't be anxious on the job.  In fact, I still have a a prescription of benzodiazepines handy, in the event an unexpected anxiety rush takes over me.  Since I only use a benzo every once in a while, I have a prescription for Ativan(Lorazepam), since it acts quicker than Klonopin (Clonazepam) to manage the anxiety.  I've only needed the benzodiazpines once or twice recently, but I insist on having the prescription, since it provides me security that it's there, whenever I will need it in conjunction with my current antidepressant.

So yes, the anxiety at five weeks on an antidepressant is normal, where it indicates the Citalopram is still working in your system, however I recommend having a prescription of benzodiazepines, when dealing with these unexpected, raised anxiety episodes.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »
My question is regarding my anxiety.  Yesterday I had very little anxiety, and even had a few windows of feeling pretty close to normal.  Today I find myself more jittery, and having much more anxiety than yesterday.  Is this normal to have good and not so good days at five weeks into the treatment?

Yes, it is relatively common, Chuck. For some the antidepressants switches on almost instantly, for others it is a steady linear progression and for some the improvement comes in fits and starts, one step forward, two back for a week or so. IME, this often signals a slightly better long-term outcome than with the first two.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline kutekat

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 02:26:55 AM »
i was the same way on citalopram. i started with 10mg, but it was a rollercoaster of feeling good some days then anxious and depressed others. it leveled out around 6 weeks and stayed that way for 6 more weeks. my anxiety i felt was lessened as i wasn't so afraid of going to the mailbox anymore, and i felt much better about life. that is until i upped to 20mg....20mg was a disaster for me. just keep on going okay. do you have any benzo you can take when needed?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: