Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: 23 yr old follow up colonoscopy  (Read 306 times)

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
23 yr old follow up colonoscopy
« on: December 29, 2013, 12:21:36 PM »
So last year I had a colonoscopy at age of 22. I just received my letter saying it is time for my follow up. Well today I oticed a pin point drop of blood on my stool. No straining or anything. Obviously I will be getting my follow up but what are the chances that this is now cancer?
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: 23 yr old follow up colonoscopy
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »
Pretty much zero. There is a very rare type of bowel cancer that develops quickly, but by and large polyps are slow to grow and equally slow to become cancerous we're talking about a timescale of 10 to 20 years.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bertz1985

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 12:27:24 PM »
I think your chances are pretty low.  You probably just had a little scratch or tear. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »
I have read about the bowel cancer that grows fast but my polyp wasn't like that. I hoping it was a tear. I was bright red like fresh. I am terrified of getting my colonscopy. I am so scared that I have cancer. Which is my HA speaking. I know most of the time it takes a while for it to turn to cancer. I also have an amazing doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
I'm a secretary to a consultant gastroenterologist and type letters about bright red fresh rectal bleeding on a daily basis and it's due haemorrhoids or a fissure which is a little tear. If it was dark red this would represent old blood therefore coming from an internal source so sounds like you'll be just fine!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 03:39:15 PM »
This was bright red and fresh. But I did have that when I had my polyp too. The polyp was very close to my end so it was frequently bothered by bowel movements until it started bleeding more often then I would also see darker. The bleeding this time is nothing compared to last time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 03:45:46 PM »
Was the sorce of your bleeding last time your polyp? I am 26 years old and have noticed bright red bleeding on my stools off and on for almost a year now. No other symptoms. I am terrified its colon/rectal cancer. Was yours precancerous? I have made my self ill over this whole thing. I would like to know more about the symptoms you were experiencing before your first colonoscopy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 04:47:07 PM »
All I had for several years was off and on bleeding. Smetimes the blood would completely coat the stool like a mucus. Very highly common with hemorrhoids. I just knew something wa wrong. It started out little and over a few years got more often till it got to be every day. It was 4 cm and adenomotous. Adenomotous are pre-cancerous. Meaning they are the polyps that will turn to cancer and not stay benign. I encourage anyone with rectal bleeding to talk to the doctor. It could be many things most of which are benign. My bleeding was bright red because it was so close to the rectum. Yes, the bleeding was the source of my polyp. No fissures or hemorrhoids were ever found and my polyp was bleeding. Five pathologists looked at it to determine what kind of polyp it was. My general physician never listened to me and told me it was hemorrhoids. Glad I didn't listen to her.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 05:04:17 PM »
Thanks for the response. So glad you had that found. I have had 4 children all delivered vaginally and also have visable what I think are hemorrhoids but they are only visable while I'm sitting on the toilet (sorry tmi) I have an appointment with a gastro late January. I am so scared.
My symptoms have just been small streaks on stool usually the last one to pass, and not every time. Maybe once a month with straining or hard stool. The only time it was "bad" was when I had a stomach flu. I had the worst burning pain while going, blood in the bottom of the toilet bowl with the dirreah and on the toilet paper, this stopped when the dirreah stopped (about 12 hours)
Uh I'm so scared.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 05:12:04 PM »
He may recommend a colonoscopy or something similar. It sounds like hemorrhoids except the diahrrea and blood. But then again diahrrea can irritate them and cause them to burst. Glad you are having it checked out. It is scary. I was terrified to have a colonoscopy. I cried when I got there. The nurse prayed with me and said very encouraging words. Me and her are now friends even though she has moved. I am scared to go back but i know i need to for my child to keep his mama around and we want more children.
Bookmark and Share

Offline olethros

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 05:49:04 PM »
I definitely understand the fear of colon cancer. I've felt it many times. It's good that you went to the doc and got everything checked out and that they found what they did when they did. Especially considering that you had symptoms for years before you got the colonoscopy, I think here a year later you're going to be fine. And keep in mind that even with a precancerous polyp, it can remain that way for a long time. So there's no guarantee it would have gone that way anytime soon. I understand the anxiety though, but I think you can go with confidence.

Your post has however got me all worried now! I started having some bowel troubles back in February (was 29, now 30). Woke up in the middle of the night with this burning sensation above my belly button and immediately started thinking about cancer. A couple of different times I noticed a tiny amount of blood on my stool - I remember it was red but I don't remember about shade or whatever, and with so little it's hard to tell on a stool, plus I was freaking out the second I saw it. A few times experienced some diarrhea as well and cramps, but no blood w/ those. Thankfully all of that has stopped. Not quite as regular as I used to be, but everything else returned to normal. They did every test except a colonoscopy (even endoscopy and abdominal ultrasound) which is why I'm freaked out still. Point being, you're not alone in this fear .... it sucks, but hang in there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 06:07:35 PM »
Ultrasounds tell alot. They would have seen something if it had been there. Sometimes there are no reasons for the blood that are obviously seen. Fissures and hemorrhoids heal up all the time. I definitely did not mean to worry you. sometimes i randomly get diarrhea. My stools are never the same. Some days normal, some days soft. It honestly depends on what I eat. I had a pain beside my belly button. I knew it was a tumor. It was nothing but a tension knot. In fact my polyp wasn't even on that side. I started bleeding when I was in high school. Just curious why they did not do a colonoscopy on you but an ultrasound instead?
Bookmark and Share

Offline olethros

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 06:21:54 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure about why. I live in Japan, so they do things differently sometimes but they have good medical folks here. The first doc I went to actually said she thought I had some kind of other issue but didn't even bother to feel my stomach or do any tests at all. I kinda felt like she wasn't taking me seriously so I went back and saw a different doc. Even told him I was worried about cancer and laid out my concerns specifically. He said he thought probably IBS but he'd have to do tests to rule out other causes. They did blood, stool, and urine tests as well, so probably had something shown up in there they would have pushed for further testing. That's my best guess.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words - don't want to take over your thread! It's nice to talk to other folks who understand the fear so well though...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
Thanks for the questions. Although we all love to hear positive positive positive (who doesn't) that isn't always the case. Although most things we worry about are not serious, sometimes they are. I hate to be a downer but I am honest. I did have a polyp at 22 with significant rectal bleeding. But i did not have cancer. I have had a brain mri because they thought i was having mini strokes related to cardiac problems that arose during pregnancy. I wasn't having mini strokes, ms, or a tumor but I did have chiari malformation. Basically to some up what I am saying, the majority of times, things are benign. You only have one body and you don't get do overs. If you have family and friends and something to live for, be over cautious. So what if doctors get annoyed or they won't listen to you. Although there are times we need to admit it is just our HA in over drive.
Bookmark and Share

Offline olethros

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »
I agree Brick, and I think a person can be both positive and yet honest at the same time. I've been thinking about going to the doc to ask for a colonoscopy, mostly to put my mind at ease. This entire year that stuff has been on my mind. I hate checking my stool every time, pouring over it to see if there's anything that should scare me. And I hate driving my family nuts constantly worrying about it. My aunt died of colon cancer, although she was in her 50s, drank heavily, ate horribly, and did no exercise whatsoever. I think that is when I began to worry about all this stuff more significantly. Although other family members do have things like IBS and anxiety issues, and considering my problems have gotten much better, I think that more likely describes my troubles.

In your case, again, a year later I think you are going to be fine. They are just being overly cautious which is a good thing. Go get it done, I'm sure it will make you feel better, and please come back here and let us all know how it went when you're done!

Bookmark and Share

Tags: