Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Pretty sure I have melanoma  (Read 764 times)

Offline Koth1989

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pretty sure I have melanoma
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 11:55:09 PM »
Guys, PLEASE help me out here.. Every resource I can find says that a hard lymph node of duration longer than a month needs to be biopsied to rule out malignancy. Seriously, it appears that this is the case everywhere I look, yet the doctors are not concerned. Am I receiving irresponsible care, or am I missing something here?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline JenMarie279

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 03:56:00 AM »
I had a melanoma scare a few months ago.  I had a few scary looking ones and the dermatologist had NO bedside manner.  He looked at them closely and said "Hmmm" and I was like "Is it melanoma?" and he said "It looks like it might be" and I instantly lost it.  Luckily it turned out fine.  I'm sure yours is fine, too.  Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Koth1989

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 01:42:24 PM »
The situation is putting tremendous strain ony relationship with my wife. I constantly have canker sores. I just want this fking bump off of my head. I'm tired of dismissive, irresponsible doctors telling me its "nothing". Obviously it's SOMETHING because you can see and feel it. So give me the time of day and tell me why it IS. Making another ENT appt today. I will demand they biopsy it. Can't deal with this BS any more.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tiredoflivinginfear

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »
The situation is putting tremendous strain ony relationship with my wife. I constantly have canker sores. I just want this fking bump off of my head. I'm tired of dismissive, irresponsible doctors telling me its "nothing". Obviously it's SOMETHING because you can see and feel it. So give me the time of day and tell me why it IS. Making another ENT appt today. I will demand they biopsy it. Can't deal with this BS any more.

I agree with you.
The reality is contemporary doctors are forced to operate in an era where increasingly more patients are no longer passive things that don't know a thing about the human body and just lay themselves at the doctor's feet like in front of a God.
I agree some of these patients can be very annoying and tiring to a doctor because they will challenge, make special requests, refuse some treatments and demand others instead, come back with information from the Net and ask for complete reassurance it is NOT X, etc.

I understand this can be a very frustrating reality for practitioners - but it is what it is. Patients are humans beings with emotions too and some of us, hypochondriacs, can become so distressed that our states can require sheer mercy in certaoin situations.

So between the feelings of a doctor frustrated for having to deal with a difficult patient and the feelings of a scared-out-of-his-mind, vulnerable patient - I would deem it right to grant relief to the latter, not to the former.

So yes - go out there and insist you get the biopsy!! 
Worse comes to worse tell them you will pay for it, whether the insurance covers it or not  - you simply want it done.

To give you an example...I had a somewhat similar situation earlier this summer with a gynecological problem and I eventually had to solve it the "forceful" way.  This might be a bit of TMI, especially for guys, but in the world of hypochondria, TMI is probably the last thing anyone cares about. 

I went to the gyno because my period had arrived abnormally early and I also had some irregularities with the way it looked. On this occasion, the idiotic doctor thought it appropriate to also do a routine Pap smear, since I was in the office - so might as well.
I had heard that it is not OK to do a Pap smear while a woman is on her period, let alone an ABNORMAL one, so I questioned them about it.
They shrugged it off saying that the "latest technology" is smart and can easily distinguish between blood cells and abnormal cells. 

They called me later with abnormal results (atypical squamos cells - ASC-US). I probed frantically and it turned out this was the first stage of abnormality which means "we don't know for sure what these are, but there is a possibility they might progress to pre-cancerous or cancerous cells in the future").

It was simply an "We don't know, something's up - come back in 6 months again".
Which is exactly enough to send a hypochondriac into sheer, delirious Hell.

I went back and I asked about having the test repeated because it had been done at the WRONG time of the month - and that was a fact.   
The gyno did not want to do it right away and told me to wait a few weeks/months. I went then to my GP, and he said the same crap about the technology being good and if I was going to repeat the test now chances are it would come back the same...and then, the insurance company will start thinking I am a hypochondriac and won't want to cover whatever - and why don't I wait?

I said I am willing to pay for the darn procedure on that very day - both the dr. and the lab, I just wanted it repeated. Then he said he doesn't want to take my money for nothing and I had to tell him I am OK with it.

I knew in my heart of hearts it must have been from the imbecility of doing a Pap mixed with blood cells - great "technology" or not.
All of my previous Paps had been perfect, I had been in only 3 relationships my entire life, the relationship with my husband of over a decade has always been 100% loyal on both sides, the HPV had been tested and it was negative...so I just wanted the darn test done on "clean ground".

The GP finally accepted but told me not to be disappointed if it comes back the same because if this was something the body was going to fix itself, it would need a few good months.  I said I will deal with it -  but I want the test.

They did it - and days later, the nurse leaves an exhilarating message on my voice mail saying "we are so, so excited to give you this good news and be able to tell you that your Pap test came back perfect, absolutely no trace of problems, no need to come back, just follow up with the yearly routine".

It took some pushing - but it gave me tremendous relief, that no counselor and no antidepressant in this world would could have achieved.

So I learned sometimes we just have to PUSH - at the risk of being annoying or even snapped at.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Koth1989

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 04:21:52 PM »
Thank you so much!!! I'm going to have the procedure done come hell or high water. It's the only way I will know that nothing is up. It's my body and I refuse to take the physicians gamble that its "probably" nothing, to wait 2 months and if it gets worse to take it out and find out I wasted 6 months. I'd rather have the operation done, and have the doctor prove me wrong and laugh in my face and call me a hypo. I don't care. I just want to know that it's nothing, 100% not "probably"
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 07:22:11 PM »
Thank you so much!!! I'm going to have the procedure done come hell or high water. It's the only way I will know that nothing is up. It's my body and I refuse to take the physicians gamble that its "probably" nothing, to wait 2 months and if it gets worse to take it out and find out I wasted 6 months. I'd rather have the operation done, and have the doctor prove me wrong and laugh in my face and call me a hypo. I don't care. I just want to know that it's nothing, 100% not "probably"

Being called a "hypo" beats by light years being given some terrible news.
It's your body and your money - they should be able to do it.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Koth1989

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 07:41:20 PM »
Just got home from the doc. No biopsy, but a heart to heart with a nurse plus exam by him and another ent doc has left me feeling pretty good. They say there is nothing for them to biopsy, and it's probably not even a node. That's like 6 health professionals who say thy there's nothing of concern going on. Lets see I this reassurance lasts. On the bad side, I had the derm nurse take pictures of my moles. Apparently that's how they screen who they want to see and not. The one I was concerned about on my shoulder looks particularly jacked up when blown up on the computer. No doubt they'll wanna see me.. Here's to it being benign. Apparently thy won't Even see it until Wednesday. Positive thoughts until then.
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 07:47:27 PM »
It will be fine.
You are in our thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Koth1989