Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Pulmonary embollism and birth control  (Read 281 times)

Offline confunded

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Pulmonary embollism and birth control
« on: December 28, 2013, 06:22:08 PM »
Hi all,
So I have had an eventful day! To start, I am a healthy 27 year old female. I have been battling healthy anxiety since the summer when my uncle quickly passed at a young age from lung cancer.

Recently I started Seasonale birth control, and for the past 5 days I started having shortness of breath and slight chest pains. I ignored it at first thinking it was anxiety but keeping in the back of my mind that it could possibly be a blood clot as that is a risk factor of birth control. 2 nights ago my mom also noticed my labored breathing- but I Brushed it off until today when I came home from my midnight shift and felt like I couldn't breathe well enough to try and sleep. She brought me to th ER, where I was seen and did a chest xray, EKG, leg ultrasound and bloodwork. All my tests came back clear- no clots in the legs, chest xray was clear, EKG was good, oxygen levels were good BUT my clotting factor d diamer test was elevated (positive).  The doctor explained that it could be indicative of a blood clot, but it could also mean nothing. He gave me the option of a CT scan but said it would elevate my risk of breast cancer in the future. He said if ii was his wife he would be comfortable with her  taking or leaving the CT scan since I have no other risk factors.

After much thought, I declined the ct scan and was sent home. I slept. And now I am worried what if I made the wrong decision as should have had that test? My mom seems unconvinced which worries me as she generally doesn't stress over this stuff (and  was a nurse a long time ago). Did I make the wrong decision? I don't want to die, I have a 2 year old I love to pieces and I don't want to miss out on her life.

I'm still having some pains and unsure if I should chalk it up to anxiety or if I made the wrong choice? Gah!!! :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pulmonary embollism and birth control
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:27:59 PM »
Sounds like the right choice. You could always get an MRI, which has no risk.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline M.Edwards

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 09:52:32 PM »
You can have further testing to ease your mind.  Just to let you know I tried those same birth control pills and my anxiety got so bad I had to quit after 2 weeks.  I even started having panic attacks which stopped after I went back to my original pills.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:07:42 PM »
I hate when drs say could be this or that. 
Anyways, they a pretty good workup on you, but if you want piece of mind get the scan.  Why did he say the scan can increase breast cancer risks, when an xray gives off radiation as well?  If you keep having the breathing issues it wouldn't hurt to get the scan. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline confunded

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 10:27:06 PM »
Thank you for your support!

I do agree that if I continue to experience these breathing problems I will return to the hospital to have the test done. The doctor said I could come back anytime for it, and to return if my sypmtoms worsen. I feel breathless right now but I am going to rest and see if I can get myself to relax. I did have times today where my lungs felt clear so I am hoping with some rest that good feeling will return.

Since starting seasonale I have definitely noticed myself having more instances of random anxiety attacks and anxious thinking. I am seeing a counselor so I am hoping she can help with it.

Having breathing issues is scary- but it has also been a symptom of anxiety for me inthe past the thing that is different for method time is the pain in my upper back and the fact that I don't emotional feel super anxious. Just continuous health anxiety fears if that makes any sense? Lol

I really appreciate the support and having people to talk to!!!
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 10:40:11 PM »
Birth control pills can cause blood clots. Nuva ring, the patch, yaz. They have all been linked to blood clots. Can panic attacks cause chest pain and breathing yes, but so can blood clots. Just recently two people I know had blood clots. Both young women. The reason I am most concerned about your post is your elevated d diamer. One of those girls had that. Monitor it closely. Especially if your mom who is a nurse is concerned.
Bookmark and Share

Offline confunded

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 08:03:27 AM »
Yes the elevated d diamer is what concerns me as well. I should have taken that Ct scan when it was offered :( but all my tests came back fine except for that one blood test. I just feel so anxious about it all! I have bought some aspirin and will continue to monitor it.

I sure hope things return to normal soon, I don't know how long I can reasonably endure my mind worrying so much!
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 08:10:16 AM »
Your other tests came back fine and that is good. I wouldn't necessarily run back to get the test but be over cautious. Obviousoy we all have HA but sometimes things aren't just HA. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline confunded

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 05:38:56 PM »
Looking for advice again- I'm sorry!

So I am still having pain in my upper back and chest when I breathe. I am wondering if I hold just head back to the ER ? The thing is my pain today is on the right, and yesterday it was the left.  I don't want tobe that crazy lady that used up all the taxpayers money on tests for nothing. At the same time I have a daughter who is not yet 2 and needs me, what if this is more than anxiety?

The weird thing is the only thing I am anxious about is my health. I have been worrying about ovarian and breast cancer a lot lately until these breathing pains started.

Would it be terrible if I went back to the er and asked for the test? Or should I wait?
I also stopped taking my birth control completely.
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 05:45:43 PM »
On a scale of one to five what is the pain? Labored breathing?
Bookmark and Share

Offline confunded

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »
Pain 3

Labored breathing 2.

That really puts things in perspective! Lol
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 06:09:17 PM »
Your pain is moderate but bearable. Your breathing may be in part due to anxiety. Is the pain sharp and stabbing or dull and aching
Bookmark and Share

Offline confunded

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 06:30:30 PM »
It's more dull and aching than sharp. Sometimes the pain in my upper back is sharp but it comes and goes.
I really only feel breathless after I have been moving around a lot. In the morning, when I first wake up I generally feel good until I start doing a lot of activity

So with this being anxiety what can I do to keep it away? And how do I calm my fears of dropping dead? I kind of had a breakdown yesterday on the way home from the hospital. I told my fiancée I am deathly afraid of dying and missing out on our daughters life. I want to be there for her always. My uncle died in July at age 48 of ling cancer. I have been worried since!

Thank you very much for taking the time to talk to me. It makes such a difference. My fiancé doesn't understand anxiety at all and tends to get frustrated with me. And I don't want to worry my mom so I really only have here to turn to!
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »
Well, i would always get really breathless and I had a lot of chest pain too. I go to the cardiologist every six months, unrelated to that. Whenever I am really worried about something, even if It isn't always on my mind I tend to stay that way. For example, when i was worried about colon cancer, it consumed me. It was always on my mind even when i was thinking of other things. Until i had my colonoscopy last year, i worried. After i had it, i was more relieved and began to relax. Of course, now it is time for another colo and i am worried again. As far as keeping it at bay to think you aren't dying. It's hard. I admit I still have days like that. I have a two year old who is my world and we are trying for another. For me distractions are not easy because i tend to think I am so happy and what if i never get to do this again. The good news, is if this was a blood clot p, the pain would be worse, you would have swelling. It would be hard to breath not so much breathless.
Bookmark and Share

Offline confunded

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
Thank you Brick5711 for your support- it is nice to hear from someone at a similar life stage as me with similar fears. I do think you are right, it would be worse. So I will try and do some self care over the next few days to get through it! And I will continue to monitor my situation closely.

I hope your colonoscopy goes smoothly, I have also had those kinds of fears but I am too young they say for a colonoscopy. Anxiety is such a difficult thing to deal with sometimes. I am hoping to learn how to manage it better! Then I can avoid passing my bad thinking habits on to my children, so they can live good fulfilling lives!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: