Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Any Gardeners?  (Read 189 times)

Offline knittykitty

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Any Gardeners?
« on: December 28, 2013, 11:35:44 AM »
I'm in the south of England and use my garden as a place of therapy most days!

Even though I've been gardening around 9-10 years - I'm not great at it and have recently decided to actually understand what I do and grow what I like (instead of of what was here when we moved in 10 years ago)...So i'm mostly growing soft fruit and veg (in the summer) and at the moment not alot through winter but as I've got a little plastic greenhouse I might grow things in there next winter!

Anyone else garden and what do you grow?
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Any Gardeners?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:56:14 PM »
I grow spinach, chard, sugar pees, carrots...

It's strange, every year a different vegetable takes off, and the one that did well the previous year does not do well the following year.

I also have a few apple trees but they're not doing well these days...
Bookmark and Share
I'm working on being happy with what I can do, rather than sad for what I cannot do

Offline knittykitty

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 05:12:03 AM »
Same here, what grows well each year always suprises me. Two years ago we had no tomatoes and this year we had loads, same with purple sprouting broccoli. Wish I had a weather predictor!  :laugh3:

This year I'm doing a little redesign to get a bit more growing space, more veg, but also more country english cottage garden flowers I hope...
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 08:18:31 PM »
What's your favorite flower?
Bookmark and Share
I'm working on being happy with what I can do, rather than sad for what I cannot do

Offline knittykitty

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 06:33:31 AM »
Hard to say as I love so many, Sweet Pea, Salvia, Sun Flowers, Lupins, Roses etc etc...This year I'm going to try and grow copius Black Eyed Susans up every wall - they seem very cheery and easy to grow I think, so maybe come mid summer they will be my favourite!

Yours?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 06:36:50 AM »
I used to grow seeds over the winter time in a makeshift hothouse. So I could plant them when the time was right. Always had enough over to give some to the neighbours. But then I began to grow pumpkins. What a fun thing to grow. The flower is beautiful on it. But you have to make sure to pinch the tip of the plants early on or they will take the garden over. The first year I wasn't aware of this fact. They took my back garden over. Then you get your pumpkins when the time is right. Amazing that something so big can grow from something so small. Was always a big fan of the Crocus as well. Probably because it only flowers for a few weeks in the year. Just to see them in flower for those few weeks. I live in Ireland so not everything grows that well over here. Sunflowers are always one that catches the imagination of kids. Grew them for a few years. Wanted to see how big I could make them grow. Foxglove was always another one I went for. More a case of the area I live in. Close to the sea. So we get the sea air which can carry salt with it. Heathers I loved because they took no looking after at all. Unless you wanted to keep them small. Gardens are fast becoming a thing of the past around here. Old people can't look after them. Young people don't want them. So we are seeing a lot of cemented gardens these days. Myself and my neighbour must be the only two who still have flowers in our gardens.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline knittykitty

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 07:37:35 AM »
Same here in the south of england - our next door neighbours live in a 4 story Victorian house, the front is paved for their car, the rear is paved for their BBQ and spa, so sad. Luckily most of the rest of the street still have lovely front and rear gardens, and we have a tree lined street, but many other streets aren't so lucky.

We've had storm after storm here this christmas as well, loads of trees down, so I'm not getting much gardening in at the moment, in fact all I've done today is let the chickens out! I'm usually in the garden year around, but at the moment I'm not - its a rare thing that I don't get out there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 10:03:59 AM »
Our weather has been just like your own. When you think about it, we get snow early in the new year as a rule. Very little you can do in the garden. I live in a concrete jungle. No real trees. Yet the garden is always full of leafs. The great gardening mystery. Where do they all come from. One or two small trees on the road. You could fill a few wheelie bins up with the leafs. About all you can do this time of year. The grass is too wet. The ground is too cold and wet. Don't know where people get the impression that gardeners like a bit of rain to work in. Give me sun any day of the week.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline knittykitty

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 02:09:11 PM »
Agreed - I can't garden in the snow - I can't find things to do anything with!  :laugh3: But until then, I can do stuff - even if its just weeding or sitting in my little plastic greenhouse listening to the radio in my layers of clothes, smiling at my little patch of earth. I still have broccoli going, as well as onions, leeks and salads. I need to prune my lilac tree and the pond has a bad case of blanket weed  :( so I have things to do. The chickens need letting out each day and if I don't keep an eye on them I then have to replant whateve they've dug up!!

Will we get snow 2014? We had some in March this year - late!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Our snow is around early March as a rule. After the amazing summer last year they have predicted a lot of snow. But what do the experts know about the weather. They say sun and it rains as a rule. I never pay much attention to them. I wait until I wake up and see the weather with my own eyes before I believe it. Only real thing I do this time of year is clean my mower. The oil and the likes. Start it up for a while just to keep it in shape. Be honest, I just like taken it apart to fix it all up again.  :laugh3: Gives me something to do.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags:

anything