Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Treatment with CBT Questions...  (Read 575 times)

Offline knittykitty

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Treatment with CBT Questions...
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 12:39:48 PM »
Thank you both for your caring and insightful posts. I've survived the outing and we are back home although I didn't enjoy it and was very tense. Sad, as it is our close family and I just want to be able to sit there and chat to people like I used to, wihtout projecting my worry about getting a headache on to my son, by makng sure he's ok and he eats (which he didn't) etc etc....

My headaches Tina I believe are due to my neck tension caused by my anxiety I believe, and because I get so tense trying to avoid them! I have a few sessions with a sports massage therapist in the new year. Hopefully that will help.

Looking forward to the new year to be honest, and am actually looking forward to working hard to make sure I'm not like this at the same time next year - I used to love Christmas!

Thanks again
X
Bookmark and Share

Offline knittykitty

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 01:38:07 PM »
. . I found a series of free tapes on the Web and I fell in love with #6 . . . . basically, it said that just let the symptom be, acknowledge it, but don't focus on it . . . I did not believe that this would work and it took about 3 weeks of listening to the tape (sometimes 5 or 6 times a day) and practicing and eventually it worked for me . . . because I feared changing my comfort zone even though the comfort zone was anxiety, it was a bit tough going in the beginning but as I received gradual relief from the symptoms, I wanted to establish a new comfort zone . . .

Thanks very much for your message - do you remember where these tapes were or are?

Thnks
x
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 01:54:43 PM »
Just a thought....hopefully it helps. I find that my so tons improve by increments. Since starting treatment I feel like I've gotten a bit better. I find I have more good days. But the bad or average days can be as severe as its ever been. I expected that the symptoms on those days would be more mild but that's not the case. But even though I still have bad days I'm on the path to improvement and do are you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »
Oh and I'm a mom of two toddlers, so I can really relate to your worries. The fact that you're getting help shoes your a good mom, and as someone else told me, if your son ever should go through this you will be able to provide good support for him.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 51
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 04:03:08 PM »
Hi,

The site is  http://www.selftherapy.org/stop-anxiety-panic-attacks.php

If it asks for a password, that is for kindle people . . . if you have problems, let me know . . . the tapes are free and although I recommend #6, I have listened to them all . . . often, I just put #6 on a continuous loop when I am going off to sleep . . . somehow the voice lulls me into a nice sleep . . . but, it you have issues, let me know . . .take care, kc

p.s.  You need to focus on the accomplishment . . . you went today and you did the best you could . . . that is an accomplishment . . . .you have to focus on what is positive and what has actually occurred and not on what might have been . . .so, know that you have had a big success today . . .
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bunsen112

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 12:27:58 AM »
I agree with a lot of what other folks have said re: CBT.

There's a lot of rigorous scientific research demonstrating that CBT works, both for anxiety and depression. I've personally found it very helpful during periods of intense health anxiety. But I don't think it works for everyone or in all circumstances.

I've benefitted more consistently from the approach that Clare Weekes advocated 50 years ago, and that Buddhists have been advocating for more than 2500 years -- to be able to sit with your mind and (as Weekes would put it) "accept, accept, accept." This is quite different from giving up. It's more like learning to live with the fact that thoughts arise in your mind and that you don't have to take them seriously. You don't have to actively argue with your thoughts, as CBT suggests.

Again, CBT can be really wonderful for some people under some conditions. IMO, learning to live with your thoughts, mindfully, just as they are, is maybe more sustainable.

Of course YMMV.
Bookmark and Share

Offline knittykitty

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 05:10:34 AM »
Some great really helpful posts thank you all nd thanks for the links to the tapes KC, when I get a moment to myself I'll have a listen.

Seems to me that a combination might work well for me. For example I get up in the morning and feel the need to race downstairs for something to eat as I believe if I don't I'll get a headache. I need to just recognise that thought and let it go and get up in my own time, that is my anxiety driving that behaviour. The reality is that actually I just simply need to eat in the morning as we all do at some time, and that I've never actually had a headache from not eating breakfast (well I go one once as work was so busy I didn't eat until about 2pm and I was beyond tense!!). So mindfully letting go of the anxiety and stating the obvious about breakfast. Secondly then I can work on making sure I don't apply the same to my son about his breakfast.

There seems a lot of truth in the suggestion that if I spend my time challenging that I'm actually feeding my anxiety and this is what is making me feel worse than I ever have. I went to my therapist to get better!  :laugh3: So if I'm actually feeding it - the opposite would be the more mindful way of recognising and then letting it go.
Bookmark and Share

Offline doogle2

• Rec's: 4
  • AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 05:59:38 AM »
Sounds to me like you've worked it out quite well.

You've recognised your behaviour and are treating/dealing with it in a different way than before - now that in my book is CBT - however who cares what it is called as long as it works.  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing horrors; it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish ~ Evelyn Waugh

Offline knittykitty

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 06:08:22 AM »
Shame its taken me through Christmas to get this little first element of clarity, not the greatest Christmas on record but onwards we go.

Thanks for everyones input into this thread - its been very interesting and more than helpful! So thank you x
Bookmark and Share

Offline doogle2

• Rec's: 4
  • AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 06:27:58 AM »
Shame its taken me through Christmas to get this little first element of clarity, not the greatest Christmas on record but onwards we go.

Be careful not to put a negative spin on it, because - if you are not mindful  :winking0008: - that could bury deep and fester for years :yes:.
Bookmark and Share
The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing horrors; it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish ~ Evelyn Waugh

Offline knittykitty

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 06:30:04 AM »
Ahh yes - well spotted!  :spineyes: Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Tags: