Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Prozac keeping me awake  (Read 318 times)

Offline alwaysworring

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Prozac keeping me awake
« on: December 28, 2013, 08:38:24 AM »
I  just  started 10mg of  Prozac  one  week  ago. I  take  it at  night  and sleep  for 3  hours  then  wake  with  racing  thoughts  throughout  the  night.  thinking  of  taking  it  in  the  morning  instead,  but  curious  what  effects I  will  have  during  the  day.

anyone go  through  this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Prozac keeping me awake
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »
Hi AW...  Insomnia is the #1 reported side effect of Prozac.  Approximately a third of all persons starting Fluoxetine will complain of inability to sleep.  This holds true for medications in the SSRI grouping.  I was started on Celexa (Citalopram). five weeks ago.  I went through the same experience that you are having.  I was able to fall asleep, but only slept 3-4 hours.  When I woke-up, my mind would be racing with thoughts.  I was told this is a side effect of the medication, and should diminish in about two weeks.  Sure enough, on day 15-16 into my treatment with Citalopram, I started sleeping much better.  I still wake-up once or twice during the night, but I'm able to fall right back asleep.  Also my racing/negative thoughts are basically gone.  Prozac can cause drowsiness and fatigue in some individuals, so it is a toss-up as to whether you take it in the morning or at night.  Hope this helps answer your questions.  The best to you, AW!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 01:07:20 PM »
I  just  started 10mg of  Prozac  one  week  ago. I  take  it at  night  and sleep  for 3  hours  then  wake  with  racing  thoughts  throughout  the  night.  thinking  of  taking  it  in  the  morning  instead,  but  curious  what  effects I  will  have  during  the  day.

anyone go  through  this?

Insomnia is a common initial, SSRI side effect.  When I started my SSRI (in conjunction with Wellbutrin, a stimulant, so the two kept me really awake), I went through insomnia for about seven weeks before it died down.  Since I worked full time, went to the gym, and took classes - the insomnia helped me, because with my hectic schedule, I never really had time to sleep!   Luckily my job allowed me to come in late in the morning, so if I overslept the next day, due to the insomnia, I wasn't in jeopardy of being tardy at work.    So I was fortunate to work my schedule around my temporary insomnia.  Luckily now, my sleep patterns have reverted back to normal.

Maybe your doctor can prescribe you a low dose of that Trazedone again, since it acts as a sleep aid under low doses.   If the Trazedone didn't work in the past,  try melotonin, which is an over the counter sleep aid sold at CVS, Revco or other popular drug stores.  My doctor gave me directions on how to properly use melotonin.  You may want to  google melotonin and check for directions on how to use it.

Also set up a schedule, so you'll have a reason to wake up in the morning at a specific time.  Schedules help me with planning my sleep schedule.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline alwaysworring

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:24:08 PM »
I   still  have  the 25mg  of   trazadone.I  vaguely  remember  the  doctor  saying I  could  take  one  if  needed  but  it's the  weekend  and  am not  sure.  the  Prozac  and trazadone are  okay  to  take  together??
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »
the  Prozac  and trazadone are  okay  to  take  together??

Yes, trazodone only becomes an antidepressant at doses around 150-225mg and above. At 25mg it only acts as an antihistamine, a lot like Benadryl, but much more sedating. While a pretty good antidepressants, these days it is almost exclusively prescribed to treat SSRI induced insomnia.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: