Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Traveling nightmare  (Read 128 times)

Offline shininglights98

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Traveling nightmare
« on: December 28, 2013, 02:20:56 AM »
Me and my family are on a week long beach vacation that started on the 26th, I of course had to go along too (as upsetting as it is, since I'm afraid of being away from home and feel extremely uncomfortable in hotels :( ). Since then, I've been miserable and eager to get home as fast as I can.

It started off with a 9-hour drive from WV to SC, only two stops along the way; once to eat and another time at a rest-stop. All the roads along the way were hilly and steep, many of which are easy to break down on so they are certainly upsetting, even to those without an Anxiety Disorder. I did alright thankfully and tried as best as I could to remember that the drive will soon be over. When we stopped at the halfway point, I was too nervous to eat fearing something bad would happen, despite the fact I hadn't eaten all day and skipped breakfast. I finally forced myself to eat a small snack. 4 1/2 hours later, we arrived at the hotel. I was panicking and breathing very heavily, fearing something horrible was about to happen. I go out and went off to the restroom in the lobby to use the bathroom while the others checked in. As I started walking off, my vision started to shake and it felt like I was walking on air. The sensation got worse and worse until I almost passed out. I looked down and saw the floor moving up and down, then curving as I almost fell backwards. I raced to the nearest chair to sit down, praying nobody else would sit next to me or try to talk to me while I could barley see straight. I sat there for a couple minutes, still, in a state of panic about what just happened. I was terrified I was having some type of organ failure and I was going to have to go to the hospital in a strange place since the floor normally doesn't shake when I have a panic attack. Thankfully, nobody really noticed so I wasn't embarrassing myself (not too much at least :P). I finally gained enough strength back to walk out to the car, get my stuff and go to the room where I could rest. Once again, with the floor shaking. I finally made it up to the room (which is actually a privately owned condo, so they're decorated and fixed by the owners), only to find it was all outdated and in the middle of restoration. Basically, all the couches were dirty and stained and there was paint smeared all over the walls. It was hideous! I couldn't spend one day in there, never mind an entire week! I sat on the cleanest looking chair and stayed there almost all evening on my laptop because I was so stressed and weak from not eating. Later on, the thermostat started messing up and kept pumping out hot air. I went to bed around 2 AM, no shower because the tubs were about to be taken out and were filthy in my mind. Suddenly, I was woken up at 5:30 AM to find that the old heater was still on and made the room temperature turn up to a near 90 degrees. I got up, walked around and finally laid back down after the room had cooled off.

Starting with this morning, I first complained to the desk and was able to change condos with the only one available on our floor, which is across the hall from our other room we stayed in. It has walls... PINK WALLS. And Popcorn ceilings... It's also going through renovation (technically) and is just as dirty, but at least it's better than the other. I stayed in the room all day with leg cramps and weakness from still not being able to eat, I'm still too nervous to have any appetite. I haven't even gone out on the beach yet, I'm not sure if I'm going to either. It's freezing cold during the day, so it wouldn't be much fun anyways. Now, I just accidentally found out that the shower in this condo is also broken! How often does that happen that you leave one room with a busted shower, only to find another? It's especially hard on me because I cannot stand dirty things.

My family has vacationed in this building for years without any problems and have always had clean rooms, but this year it appears all the owners have chose to renovate during the winter and we picked the worst time to travel. It's not a cheap hotel either, like $150 a night in the summertime and $1,400 to rent a penthouse for the week. Also with NO REFUNDS and the hotel "isn't responsible for how owners renovate their condos".

Honestly, I don't know how I'm going to make it for 5 more nights. I'm secretly hoping everyone else gets frustrated and decides to leave. I didn't drive down here so I have no way to leave and everyone else has an "I'm not going to let this ruin my trip" attitude". I just want to go home... :( :(  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline shininglights98

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Traveling nightmare
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 02:22:35 AM »
My family and I*

Sorry!
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Traveling nightmare
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 05:16:19 PM »
Hi Alex...  I have read over your above post several times.  I am uncertain what type of a response you are looking for, as a question really didn't pop-out at me.  You started by indicating that you had no choice but to go on this family vacation.  To me I always have a choice in the things I do.  I do want to give you a pat on the back for not giving into your anxiety, for stepping out of your comfort zone/home, and going on this trip.  It is very important not to give into certain aspects of one's anxiety.  Those that do give in can find that they end-up house bound, in fear to even leave their home.  Another very important aspect of anxiety to to accept it.  To me, this is not just true of anxiety, but true of life.  You said that your family has a "I'm not going to let this ruin my trip."-attitude.  To me that is the attitude to have.  It reminds me of the Serenity Prayer.  "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."  One of the choices I have, is to be positive.  And no, I am not perfect at it by any means.  You didn't mention anything in your post as to what you are doing for your anxiety.  For my anxiety/panic attacks, I have a psychiatrist managing my care, as they are doctors.  I was started on a new anti-depressant some five weeks ago, and am doing better.  I am also scheduled to start CBT (therapy), the end of January.  I don't know if this was the kind of response you were looking for, but the best to you, Alex!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: