Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Loss of Appetite - how do I beat this?  (Read 182 times)

Offline Tal_100

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Loss of Appetite - how do I beat this?
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:00:49 PM »
Hey guys, I have been suffering from this problem for a while now, and it has just recently gotten worse since I have become a lot more aware of it. 6 months ago I got very sick one night after a meal (quite late at night I might add) and for about the next couple of days I couldn't eat or sleep. I completely lost my appetite and could only stomach things like biscuits, maybe a piece of fruit, but even bread was too tough. After seeing the doctor I was diagnosed with gastritis and took a ppi to reduce my stomach acids. I appeared to fully recover after that and everything went back to normal. After about a month, I fell back into the very same thing that lasted about a week to which I decided to take things a bit more serious with my treatment. So I went on stronger medication, reduced all acidic foods for about 2 months. After it came back again, I got fed up with the low acid diet and just went back to eating whatever foods I wanted whenever I wanted. The same thing still happens, but I soon began to realise that foods didnt trigger it (I wasnt getting heartburn, or stomach pains after spicy foods, or any of the things that were mostly common to gastritis). I seemed to fall back into this cycle whenever my anxiety flared up for whatever reason it was.

It took a long time to realise that anxiety is a major cause of appetite loss so I am now being treated for it. I would love to know if anyone has come out from the other side of this horrible illness. I for one can't seem to break it, although I am on my way with alot of mindfulness activities, distracting myself, cognitive therapy etc. Thanks guys.
Bookmark and Share

Offline knittykitty

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Loss of Appetite - how do I beat this?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »
When I have an anxiety attack I lose my appetite so I know exactly what you mean!

I've been writing a daily journal, to help me understand what it is that is perpetuating my anxiety, and then each thing I challenge with rational thinking and several other CBT principles. Mine certainly has got a lot worse since I recognised it too, and I think thats exactly why - I've recognised this disorder and its doing exactly what it does, perpetuate itself. I won't be beaten by it, I'm saddened and frustrated by it, but keeping it simple is what I've decided is todays method of attack. Since my brain loves to complicate, ruminate and ponder all day long, I'm going to try and train it back the opposite - hope that makes sense  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tal_100

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 05:18:55 AM »
Awesome, I've been keeping a journal of daily experience too. CBT seems to have helped me come a long way, but it still remains to try and get through this. I think mine has only gotten better after realising it though. The disorder tends to perpetuate itself, but knowing that it is treatable helps through half the battle. It's definately better than taking a whole bunch of stomach pills and then the same thing happening over and over again no matter what.

Wish you heaps of luck and keep me updated on how you're doing!
Bookmark and Share

Offline knittykitty

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 06:37:18 AM »
Big luck to you too! I've started to stray away from the challenging part of CBT though, and just change behaviours. I found the challenging part was just perpetuating the brain running away with itself. I've taken a day off from the diary too - again it was perpetuating instead of calming me.

Your appetite will come back, just not when you expect!  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: appetite anxiety