Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Colonoscopy today  (Read 204 times)

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Colonoscopy today
« on: December 27, 2013, 05:05:07 PM »
Went for my scheduled colonoscopy today. Actually, I went earlier than my five years as that would have been in May 2014. My daughter took me to the outpatient center and after a bit of a wait, they took me back, I answered a bunch of questions, and got undressed and put my gown on. They hooked me up to the blood pressure machine, put the EKG leads in, put oxygen in my nose and got an IV for the sedation and I was ready to go. The nurse anesthetist wheeled me back to the room and a tech was in there and then my GI doctor came back and I was ready. My GI doctor kids around and said here he is Marc and he is ready to go and is laughing and smiling. Then the nurse anesthetist said to me nighty-night and next thing you know the room wobbled a bit and I woke up in the recovery room. I looked at my pulse and blood pressure sometimes and when they first took it I was nervous and it was 145 over 95. I then looked at it again right before I was knocked out and it dropped to 140/81. After I was in recovery I looked at it 2 more times and the first time it was 105/74 and then 119/75. My pulse ranged from 69 to 109. Anyway, all was clear no polyps. I used the Osmoprep as the preparation. You were supposed to take 4 pills ever 15 minutes until 20 pills were gone and then 8 more pills at 7am in the morning. I was so cleaned out that I only needed 16 pills and I was good to go. My daughter took me home and I drove right back to work, with no issues. although my office is only 1.8 miles from my house. I have had a number of colonoscopy's before, but this so far seems to have been the easiest.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Colonoscopy today
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 05:25:50 PM »
Good for you, Marc!  So glad this was an easy experience for you!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:39:32 PM »
What? Sedation? In my country there is no anesthesia. 'Murica! ;D Also glad to hear everything was fine. Does that put your mind at ease?
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »
As far as colon issues yes, as far as other issues, I am working on getting my act in gear better, but it is
a work in progress.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 05:57:06 PM »
potternut, thank you for the kind words.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 09:23:32 AM »
One final thought. Many people when they turn 50, or 40 if they have a family history, should have a
colonoscopy. I have a friend of mine who is 59 and is afraid to go because of the prep. I know of another girl who
is 61 and had one 10 years ago and won't go again because of the prep. She said she would rather get the cancer as
we all have to go someday anyway. A woman I work with is 51 and I think she will go eventually. In my opinion it is a shame that
people don't go, when this is one of the few cancers that can be prevented. My good friends mother passed away at 72, because she
had diarrhea for months and did not tell the doctor as she was ashamed. A former co-worker of mine passed away at 62 of colon cancer
as he never had a colonoscopy. A former boss passed away at age 69 as he never had one either. He suffered for 4 years with it. The list goes
onward. I have seen what it can do to people and it is very disheartening. I tell people that if I can do it, they can, as I am a chicken, and of course
I don't tell them I have HA. The only thing guaranteed in life is uncertainty and that is the root of HA and many other life fears. I believe if one can
accept uncertainty, than your quality of life will improve and one will live a fuller and happy life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 12:05:25 PM »
I agree with you, Marc!  I had my colonoscopy at 44 and I would do it again tomorrow in a split second.  I was absolutely terrified for weeks before...nightmares, sky-high anxiety.  When it came time to do my prep, I changed my attitude about it and began to look forward to feeling cleaned out and light.  Changing my attitude helped a lot.  Also, I had a wonderful outpatient surgical center with a fabulous nurse who kept making jokes and was very supportive.  I was administered Profonol which is a wonder drug...I was out in 5 seconds and woke up feeling great.  My only regret is that I ate too much too soon after the procedure and I had terrible stomach pain for 2 days until everything got back to normal (this was totally my fault).

We believe my grandmother died of colon cancer or ovarian cancer...we've never been sure because she was a very modest woman who would not allow doctors to see her private areas.  This has always been tragic to me because she died when I was 2 months old...I never got to know her.  I think the shame of this particular procedure still exists today for some woman.  However, to say that you'd rather go through cancer treatment than get a colonoscopy is insane!  A dear friend of mine just beat - yes beat! - stage 3b lung cancer.  We recently spoke in depth about all of the chemo and radiation that she's been through this past year.  Trust me...you don't want to go through it if you don't have to.  My friend has been battling cancer full time for an entire year...my colonoscopy lasted about 3 hours start to finish. 

Marc, thanks again for all of the support you give to so many.  So glad you are well... continued good health to you in 2014!
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Tags: