Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Marijuana?  (Read 453 times)

Offline Equalizer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Marijuana?
« on: December 27, 2013, 03:57:57 PM »

Hey everyone!

So far I've received a lot of help and so much support from this website. I was just curious if anyone has tried Marijuana for their anxiety? I've heard many success stories about it when it comes to not only anxiety but many other health problems. Does anyone have any success stories? Any bad experiences with it? Just anything really because although I've only done weed twice when I was back in high school I'm highly considering it as a way to help me out.
Bookmark and Share

Online kconnors

• Rec's: 51
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Marijuana?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:10:06 PM »
I can not address your question directly, but I do know that other members of our community here have actually had marijuana trigger and/or increase their anxiety . . . .I do know that medical marijuana is used in pain management, but because marijuana may affect your brain chemistry, it is probably not something that I would recommend that you use to manage your anxiety . . . others with more direct experience will be able to provide you with the first hand stories that you seek so check back here often . . . KC
Bookmark and Share

Online e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »
I smoked marijuana often and hashish occasionally in my youth and it triggered panic attacks, fears of losing my sanity.  I was a stubborn guy and would continue to smoke because it was what my friends were doing but it became a nightmare for me and eventually and thankfully stopped. It was not a healthy drug for me.  Like KConnors said it can have potent effects on our brains, especially if you are one to be susceptible to its effects and anxiety prone.  I don't recommend it.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
Hi Eq...  Here is some information for you from the Harvard Medical School, Harvard Health Publications...  "The most commonly reported side effects of smoking marijuana are intense anxiety and panic attacks.  Studies report that 20% to 30% of recreational users experience such problems after smoking marijuana.  The people most vulnerable are those that have never used marijuana before."  Another quote from HHP states, "The psychiatric risks are well documented, and include addiction, anxiety, and psychosis."  As KC mentioned, marijuana affects your brain chemistry, and not in a positive way.  Anti-depressants are far from perfect, but they have been well researched.  I'll stick with them since they actually promote the growth of new brain cells, and restore normal brain chemistry.  The best to you, Eq!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »
I have never smoked marijuana, but I know many people who do. I heard some say it can cause anxiety, but others have said it eases their anxiety. So I don't know. Maybe it depends on the person and their chemical make-up-if the person has a predisposition to anxiety perhaps it can make it worse.
Bookmark and Share

Online pearlsdream

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • take root in the sun's pond, and rise at the fire
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 10:04:14 PM »
I first started using marijuana when i was 13 years old and used it pretty much on the daily until i was 15 years old. When i was 15 i began to experience severe derealization whenever i'd use marijuana and i think it played a role in my anxiety attacks returning.  I later stopped. It was very confusing to me how when i was 13 i could smoke so much and have the time of my life but there i was atthe age of 15 having panic attacks so bad i couldnt control my heart rate or walk. Id usually twitch a lot too and it was just a nightmare. Id get so freaked out to the point of where even thinking about marijuana or seeing it is a trigger to me. I think it's made me worse in the long run.
I am not in anyways anti marijuana but if you have anxiety i caution you to stay away, especially from sativa strains and edibles.
Bookmark and Share
Weeping willow, wont you wallow louder?

Offline lamorrow

• Mood: Sad
    Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 10:41:22 PM »
For me, it really depends on the type. Sativa and I don't get along. It speeds up my already racing thoughts, makes me question my existence, increases my heart rate, and eventually leads to panic. I can get away with Indica, as it usually makes you more relaxed, even sleepy, but it really just depends. If I want to play it safe, I just go with mid, since it takes a lot more to get you high so there is less of a chance of overdoing it, and the effects don't last as long in the event that it does put me on edge. The downside is it's harder to find where I live, as the more potent strains are what's hot.

If you aren't already familiar with the way your body works with marijuana, I would probably suggest staying away. Some of the most horrendous panic attacks I have endured were weed-induced. However, if you decide to give it a shot, take it super easy at first (no bong rips lol), and make sure you are in the most comfortable environment possible. A lot of people make the mistake of smoking for their first time or two at parties. This usually leads to overdoing it because of trying to keep up with the rest of the group, and paranoia. Try it at home with one or two close friends who you feel comfortable with in the event that you need to be calmed if you start feeling anxious.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
Bookmark and Share
Donít keep endlessly looking for a cure to your anxiety. Create one by no longer letting it rule what you do and donít do.

Offline Equalizer

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 09:40:10 AM »
Just a little update, since I live in Ontario medical Marijuana is legal. I talked to a doctor and he told me "We recommend to try a strain that is low in thc but high in cbd to start with." All of you that smoked weed did you get medical marijuana that was made for you? Or did you just smoke random marijuana?

I'm still not 100% sure, but we'll see. Anyway I will keep you updated.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 10:09:33 AM »
Well consider the fact that is legal in only 1 State in the US. ( I stand to be corrected on that ) and nearly illegal everywhere else. I would guess most people needed a dealer. Lord knows what they were really smoking as the dealers tend to mix it up a bit to stretch out the amount they have to sell. But most uses ended up paranoid. Even the greatest known smoker of them all. Bob Marley. He was a paranoid wreck. People just assume he was this chilled out person. All the posters you see of him. Making weed look great. He had to keep upping his amounts as you do with weed as the first amount will give you a buzz for only a certain amount of time. You reach a tolerance level. Then you need to up the amount to get the same buzz. Then some people make the jump to other harder drugs. Certainly not worth it. I have never known it to do anything good for anxiety. For pain it might work. Anxiety I would never use it for.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline geo_eccentric

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »
Just a little update, since I live in Ontario medical Marijuana is legal. I talked to a doctor and he told me "We recommend to try a strain that is low in thc but high in cbd to start with." All of you that smoked weed did you get medical marijuana that was made for you? Or did you just smoke random marijuana?

I'm still not 100% sure, but we'll see. Anyway I will keep you updated.

This is the most accurate post I've seen so far. THC is classified as an anxiogenic while CBD is an anxiolytic.

Studies provide empirical evidence, which counts for more than anecdotal evidence, but you have to be weary of the wording and research methods involved. 1) Surveys deal with the problem of response bias. In other words, people more concerned with an issue are more likely to respond to the survey. 2) Is it 20-30% who have experienced a panic attack/anxiety from marijuana indulgence or 20-30% who regularly experience such complications. I may not have a large statistical sample to draw from, but out of the two dozen or so regular smokers I know, zero of them experience it regularly. I know a couple who have tried and experience anxiety, and not picked it up again. I know some occasional smokers who do it more moderately who get anxiety some but not all of the time. (I'm included in this group, and it seems most affected by my baseline level of anxiety going in. If I start experiencing anxiety in my sober life, I put it away completely until I've been stable for awhile.) Out of all these groups, 20-30% experiencing regular anxiety is a bit much. I'd say it's closer to 10-20% (being generous on the high side...lol), though it does happen.

I understand the stigma about encouraging someone to do something illegal, which I feel may be understandably affecting people's answers. Like I said, it's hit or miss, though I hear some success stories as well. (It is prescribed for anxiety in states with legal medical.) If you miss though it can set you back a little bit...it's a gamble. If you're like me, the anxious mind could really take to some of the substance in a negative way, if that's where your mind is already at. I would agree with the Ontario doctor...though technically I still shouldn't encourage you to do anything illegal. If you do decide on it...baby steps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »
Good discussion.  Am in the notorious State, even voted for the blasted thing because the black market dealings seemed worse. Now I wonder where it is headed.

Why anyone would ever want it is beyond my comprehension. You just know you will be drifting down an addictive path, branching off on other addictive paths. But I have radical ideas about drugs in general. The illegality seems to cause even more havoc. Must we be a market for those illegal traffickers?
Bookmark and Share

Online e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 12:13:21 PM »
As far as I know scientific evidence for marijuana effects are based on surveys taken by the participants in the studies which will be rather subjective.    Apart from that, I think marijuana and anxiety disorders are a bad mix.  It only takes one bad episode to trigger panic and anxiety.  Not worth it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline knittykitty

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »
My husband made a very good point some time ago about it, he said in his youth when "everyone" was doing it, there were a couple of his mates who had depressive bouts. Most people took well to it and had a laugh and some fun which is all that they set out to do, the 2 mates who had these bouts of depression seemed to get far worse after it and during it than anyone expected.

Seems that if you're in a good place, then it will be the fun and relaxing thing most people want from it. If you're not in a good place, the reaction may or may not be so favourable. Both whilst you're smoking and after...

Makes sense to me, I've rarely tried it, not because I'm anti it, just because it never did anything for me when I did.
Bookmark and Share

Offline geo_eccentric

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 12:54:06 AM »

Seems that if you're in a good place, then it will be the fun and relaxing thing most people want from it. If you're not in a good place, the reaction may or may not be so favourable. Both whilst you're smoking and after...

I'm of this same line of thinking.

I forgot to address addiction in my last post...it's really not that addictive, and it's status as a gate-way drug is pretty open to dispute for a couple reasons.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ciccasmelly

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »
I find it to be quite helpful, especially at night when I have racing thoughts. IT helps me fall asleep. It also helps me calm down when I'm really anxious. I know a few people that use it for treating anxiety, but like someone said above, certain strains are better than others.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Marijuana anxiety