Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: anyone take clonazepam only at night?  (Read 250 times)

Offline laineyk

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anyone take clonazepam only at night?
« on: December 26, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
I'm asking because I have been taking it .5mg am and pm...but feeling completely washed out all day, yet when I tried taking it .25mg 8 hours apart during day, still felt weird and more anxiety.

so just wondering if taking it at night would last me through to the next day. Insight was the one to suggest it & I really am thinking it might be worth at least a try
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: anyone take clonazepam only at night?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »
I haven't personally, but because it is a longer acting benzodiazepine, I think it's worth a shot. I would recommend waiting until you have the go-ahead from your physician, perhaps put in a call to their nurse and you should get a response back within a day or two if they approve it. Explain your rational; that you can't function taking a full dose during the day, but half isn't giving you enough benefit. Hopefully enough will leave your system by morning to make you less sleepy, but still enough that you have your anxiety down.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 07:46:09 AM »
Hello, I was initially prescribed .5mg klonopin am and pm for gad, panic, depression. I have always taken .5mg klonopin at 9pm every night, no more. Ive been on it for 5 yrs, and it has kept me stable and mostly anxiety free. I have no depression or any side effects.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 10:06:44 AM »
I was just prescribed .25 mg at night last week, to help with general restlessness and more recent sleep troubles due to the 100mg  of Zoloft i take (which I've been on now for two months-these are my first medecines i've ever taken for anxiety).

My psychiatrist told me to take another .25 if i wake up during the middle of the night (and can't fall back asleep) but i've only needed to do that once. He also has me take it for specific situations as needed (such as when I fly a few times a year).

What I've noticed is that once i started taking it (i happened to be flying that day so i took 1 an hour before the flight and one at night since), my tension and restlessness that has been mostly constant for as long as i can remember has disappeared. The physical symptoms of anxiety, especially the on-edge constant feeling, have gone away, except for late in the day. This is not a drowsy feeling, it feels normal. I assume this is because (1) it is working and (2) it is a low dose.

You should probably talk to your doctor again, since Klonopin has a long half-life and if you took the bulk of the dose at night the effects would be less during the day. I've found that adding the Klonopin has let the Zoloft do its job and take care of the mental anxiety and allowed me to sleep and be relaxed generally.

I've had good success with taking it at night (not fuzzy the next morning) but your overall dose is bigger, so not a perfect comparison
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 06:28:03 PM »
I was just prescribed .25 mg at night last week, to help with general restlessness and more recent sleep troubles due to the 100mg  of Zoloft i take

Benzodiazepines are not good sleeping pills as the sedation tends to wear off with a few weeks. Small doses of the sedating antidepressant trazodone (Desyrel) would be a better bet. It only becomes an antidepressant at high doses, 150-225mg and above so won't affect the Zoloft.

What I've noticed is that once i started taking it (i happened to be flying that day so i took 1 an hour before the flight and one at night since), my tension and restlessness that has been mostly constant for as long as i can remember has disappeared. The physical symptoms of anxiety, especially the on-edge constant feeling, have gone away, except for late in the day. This is not a drowsy feeling, it feels normal. I assume this is because (1) it is working and (2) it is a low dose.

Benzodiazepines are usually very effective anti anxiety drugs. Unfortunately, more and more doctors are refusing to prescribe them because of the perceived, but IMHO overblown, dependency issue so they can no longer be considered primary taken daily anxiety meds. They are best reserved for occasional use to control breakthrough anxiety.

I've found that adding the Klonopin has let the Zoloft do its job and take care of the mental anxiety and allowed me to sleep and be relaxed generally.

The Zoloft should be doing all that on its own. If you've been on 100mg for 2 months and it still isn't then you should consider a dose increase.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: