Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Medication  (Read 244 times)

Offline bbwire

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Medication
« on: December 26, 2013, 12:44:59 PM »
So I have a few questions about medication and I wanted to know what you guys think? So is medication like ssri's good with helping anxiety and ocd like obsessive thoughts and just overall feeling anxious all day? How bad are these side effects cause I read all this stuff and that just makes me worry more! The last one is does ssri's cause psychosis or like schizophrenia because that's like my number one worry. Any advice would help
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Medication
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »
Hi BB...  Five weeks ago I was having panic attacks, 24/7 anxiety, intrusive/negative thoughts, and add a touch of depression to that.  I was also very weak/tired.  My psychiatrist started me on a new SSRI, Citalopram (Celexa).  She started me on a therapeutic dose, 20 mg.  Now if I'd known better at the time, I would have started at a lower dose because I did have some not so fun side effects.  By the time I had read some posts on the medication section, about starting at a lower dose to diminish the side effects, I had already been on the 20 mg for over a week, and I wasn't about to turn back at that point.  Tonight I will complete five weeks on the Celexa, and here is how I feel.  My depression is 100% gone.  I saw the panic attacks get shorter and shorter in duration and intensity, and now they seem gone.  The intrusive/negative thoughts are now nothing more than a very mild thought that passes through me.  And I would say that the 24/7 anxiety has lessened by 60-70%, and there are times I have no anxiety.  I have also gotten much of my energy back.  I have not heard of anyone becoming psychotic on SSRI's (I'm sure you can find someone on the Net that say they have because you can find anything you want on the Net.).  Schizophrenia has a genetic trait; SSRI's don't cause schizophrenia.  I hope this helps answer your questions.  The best to you, BB!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »
{{Hugs}} BB, I have not really had any side effects on ssri's and I've been on them for years. Honestly, when you see side effects listed on things is just a cyoa for the drug companies. Kinda like putting caution: contents hot on a coffee cup.

If you feel like its not working for you, discuss it with your doctor. I've taken several different ones over the years and some work for me better than others. And everyone reacts differently. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »
The big challenge with treating anxiety is that anxiety over taking medication itself can be a real problem. Many of us have experienced this. The key with minimizing side effects is to start at a low dose and taper up gradually enough that you don't get too much trouble, but also not so slowly that it takes you a long time to get into the "therapeutic range" of the medication.

These medications do not cause schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a very complex disorder, and psychotic episodes are only feature.  They sometimes CAN cause worsened mood which can be scary, and very commonly anxiety is heightened initially in the course of taking the medication or changing doses. that tyically wears off but not always (I was unable to tolerate Zoloft because it heightened my anxiety and that never resolved) I also had skin numbness for a couple hours after taking it which didn't really bother me but I can see how it might someone else. Interestingly enough, Lexapro which is also an SSRI is what I'm taking now and it's a completely different experience. my depressive symptoms have resolved, though my anxiety has not really at this point, though it's early in.

Don't discount other methods of treatment though: meditation, exercise, cognitive behavioral therapy. The best thing I can recommend is get on board with a psychiatrist AND a therapist and start discussing your worries with them. They should be able to help you find the right choice for you. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 02:00:41 PM »
So I have a few questions about medication and I wanted to know what you guys think? So is medication like ssri's good with helping anxiety and ocd like obsessive thoughts and just overall feeling anxious all day? How bad are these side effects cause I read all this stuff and that just makes me worry more! The last one is does ssri's cause psychosis or like schizophrenia because that's like my number one worry. Any advice would help

Not taking a SSRI to control one's anxiety could lead to psychosis:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/obsessive-compulsive-disorder/DS00189/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

So that's why I take a SSRI, so I don't experience psychosis.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Tags: