Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hypnophobia and why it is ruining my life!  (Read 165 times)

Offline crusf

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hypnophobia and why it is ruining my life!
« on: December 24, 2013, 07:47:26 PM »
Hello everyone:) I am new to these forums so excuse my bad grammar as my English is not very good.To begin I would like to wish everyone a happy holidays and Merry Christmas! I created this thread to address a personal issue that has been bothering me since august and has affected my life in a Negative way. I am currently 19 years of age and recently moved to Texas. I had experienced a panic attack around august while I was attempting to fall asleep. I felt like I was going to die or get some sort of stroke it was a horrible experience! My parents had to calm me down as I was crying hysterically almost all night! I somehow managed to fall asleep that night and went through the next day putting that issue besides me. The next night I had begun to dread the thought of losing control while sleeping. I feared entering the moment where our bodies are fully asleep. I began to think this was a normal occurrence after a panic attack and simply accepted the fact that I could not fall asleep that night(I had faced several sleepless nights prior and was used to the idea.) Unfortunately this was not the end of it as I went through the week not being able to sleep at all for the same reasons. I began to panic and cry almost every night because I feared that I would die soon if I did not fall asleep! Even if I was dead tired my worries prevented me from falling asleep! 3 am then 4 am then 5 am the hours ticked by as they felt like days. It felt like hell:( When I did manage to sleep however I only manage to clock in about 3-4 hours max before having to wake up for class,job,appointments ect. I tried to get my parents to help me but they seem to think I am only being silly(Which I totally agree by the way!) Eventually I did some research of my own and discovered that I had something called Hypnophobia or Somniophobia which is the irregular fear of sleep or falling asleep and discovered that other people had the same issues as me. I felt relieved in a way that I wasn't alone and the fact that I was going to see my doctor soon assured me that I would find a soultion soon. My docter prescribed me Trazodone a anti depressent and sleep aid. At this point I was willing to do anything to solve my problem .even take meds. I took them the first night and it seemed to work and I had the best sleep of my life! But the next night when I decided not to take them so I would not get addicted I could not sleep. So obviously I decided to take them again last night only for it to give me a headache and make me break down in tears! >:( The very thing I was trying to stop came right back and hit me in the face! I managed to fall asleep however at 6am  and woke up at 12 am to go Christmas shopping. I felt extremely depressed and anxious as I walked around the stores something that usually filled me with joy especially during the holiday season:( Now here I am righting my problems and issues here on this forum hoping to see if there is anyone who can relate to me and hopefully provide some solutions:) I am at the lowest point in my life right now and I am looking to regain control of it in anyway I can! Thank you for reading my extremely long post but I hope you had enough patience to read through it all:) Thank you! :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hypnophobia and why it is ruining my life!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 06:06:51 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Nurse86

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hypnophobia and why it is ruining my life!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 04:09:12 PM »
I've never heard of that condition but I can relate to you. Sometimes I'm afraid to go to sleep at night. My thoughts always seem to race before bed. My psychiatrist actually prescribed me trazodone 100mg to help get me to sleep but one time I took it and I passed out unconscious the next morning so I stopped taking that! As of right now; I'm pregnant so I can't take any medication :( it's been a rough 6 months but I only have 3 left to go! Hope everything works for you!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: