Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Interesting article in this month's Atlantic  (Read 295 times)

Online vardnas

• Rec's: 82
    • Poke This Member
Interesting article in this month's Atlantic
« on: December 24, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/01/surviving_anxiety/355741/?single_page=true

It's a bit long, but this is a pretty on-point about what it's like to deal with anxiety, day-in, day-out; month-in, month-out; year-in, year-out. I'm sure most all of us can relate ...
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Interesting article in this month's Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 05:34:01 PM »
Good article, interesting to see such a high functioning person with anxiety that makes me feel like mine pales in comparison (though its still bad, but at least  have known long intervals of peace when the meds finally worked and didn't get it until I turned 31, he had it bad even as a very young child).  Good writer too, and I had to laugh at the line "No wonder Iím anxious: Iím like Woody Allen trapped inside John Calvin".  I do find it weird though, in a way, how he can look at it as just a part of himself that may have some benefit in the sense of how he mentioned how anxiety seems to have allowed many famous people to do things, like Darwin writing his book while practically housebound.  I refuse to accept the anxiety/depression I have endured as good for anything except perhaps for better understanding it in others, it has not made me a better person, it has robbed me of time and created unnecessary fears and much psychic and physical pain, let alone forced me to take medications I'd rather not have to.  But I do accept it is my fate and I have to deal with it, not my choice, but then again we don't get to choose our afflictions in most cases.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »
Thanks for the article Vardnas - I'm trying to come onto this board more for articles like this these days. Reading more about how other people have beaten their ha or tips and articles etc.

I've realised it's not healthy to always be reading other people's health concerns when I myself suffer from ha.

So thank you! Your input on the board is always really helpful :)
Bookmark and Share

Online vardnas

• Rec's: 82
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:06:54 AM »
Oh thanks, Gomubukai! That's so sweet of you to say.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline greend

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »
Thanks Vardnas.  It's always nice when someone sheds a little more light on anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: