Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Is over stimulation a problem for you?  (Read 399 times)

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
Is over stimulation a problem for you?
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:42:53 PM »
I find that more and more when there is so much going on around me that I get very anxious. I've been thinking about that off and on for approx 3 years and it seems like the worse it is around me, the worse I feel.

For example, if I'm in a store, children are screaming, customers are loud, tv displays or stereo's are blaring, or its just plain lots of talking and to much going on at one time. Its gotten to the point where I can't even listen to the radio when I am in the car. I prefer the quiet. As soon as hubby gets home, the tv goes on. However, when I am home alone, I can sit here all day in silence.

So does anyone else experience this? How do you deal with it? Its not like I'm afraid to go out in public, but I find at least what I call "over stimulation" can happen anywhere, any time.... suggestions????
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Offline Quetzal828

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is over stimulation a problem for you?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 09:35:33 PM »
I can definitely relate. I stare at a computer screen while listening to music all day at work , then come home where the TV is blaring all night. And whenever there's a spare moment in between, I just find myself looking at the smart phone. We definitely live in a society of constant stimulation.

Sometimes I just get overwhelmed with it all. Particularly in stores and malls... I tend to get stuck looking at every little thing. It doesn't help that I have a huge problem with indecision. I'll get side tracked and my mind will start racing, thinking about every possible thing I might need and whether I should get this brand or that and whether I would use it and whether I've forgotten something, etc. It's exhausting.

Lately I've been making time throughout the day to just take a "time out" in silence, with no external stimulation, and just quiet my mind for a few minutes. I've also started meditating for five minutes at a time or so whenever I think of it. Also I spend a lot of time driving, so I'll deliberately turn off the radio sometimes to give my mind a break.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:57:41 PM »
Yes, I feel that way at times. Anxiety can over-sensitize a person's nerves, so any more stimulation is too much. I've felt that way in stores too, and at weddings with loud music etc.

But then again, when my nerves calm down, I love to be around a lot of action. I'm feeling less anxious lately; I had to go to the grocery store today for last minute Christmas dinner ingredients, and the store was a mad house, but I felt un-effected by it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pippy187

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:11:08 PM »
I find that fluorescent lights always seem to be too much for me, then compound that with noise, people and hussle and bussle it adds to my anxiety.  I hate going into big box stores too.  I also cannot stand the sound of crunching when people chew sometimes... it makes my neck hair stand up (this is only when my anxiety is high).
Bookmark and Share
He who fears death cannot enjoy life

My anxiety blog: http://pippy187.wordpress.com/

Offline bigbootyalliNOTjudy

• Rec's: 0
  • I may be smiling but I am not always happy.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 01:04:00 AM »
I have the same problem. I definitely can relate. Super loud noises, too many people, etc. can make me very anxious indeed. I thought I was the only one! It gets my heart beating fast & I just hate it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jadd

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 04:23:56 AM »
definitely a problem. whenever I am in a mall and get overwhelmed with crowds and noise i look for a relatively quiet and empty store and spend some time in there. bookstores always help, i sit and read a random magazine or book until i feel ready to go out in the crowd again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kissa

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 10:20:55 AM »
Thank you jadd for the idea! I usually go to the mall with my husband in tow... but Walmart is another story. I hate that place. I hate going there. But around here, it is the cheapest place.

My hubby doesn't seem to understand the part about the noise stimulation. He has anxiety as well but is not effected by noise, lights, or people. Now that we have to share a vehicle though, he is learning that before he gets out of the car, turn the music off. I have to give him props for that.

I am glad to hear I'm not the only one. When I first started coming up with the over stimulation theory, I thought maybe I was nuts! (Well, I am but that's beside the point). 
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Offline knittykitty

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 10:32:48 AM »
So glad someone mentioned the flourescent lights, they are a constant source of concern for me too, as well as over stimulation, particularly noise. I'm hiding upstaris on the laptop at the moment as the christmas cooking and carols are winding into action downstairs, its a tough time...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kissa

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 10:38:07 PM »
Just had another thought. I live in an old house and I am sure there is still knob and tube wiring. Now, ghost hunters (yes, I am one of those kind of people) uses a device called an emf detector. It stands for electro-magnetic field detector. If there is electricity leaking from wires, or anything electrical, it is said that it can mess with your body. IE: give headaches, cause anxiety, always feeling on edge, etc. I have often wondered if that is the issue with my house, specifically where I sit in the living room spending most of my home time there.
Bookmark and Share
~One Breath at a Time~

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »
This gets really bad fro me when playing video games. It takes me hours to relax after doing so (or it did before zoloft).
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »
yes, really loud noise in the evening. Daytime not so much but by evening when I'm tired it can seem very taxing
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 12:33:55 PM »
Hi Kissa (and everyone)...  I have had major anxiety for the last few months, and any type of stimulation just seems to be amplified when I am in this state.  Noises...  I have a telephone right next to my computer, and when it rings I just about jump out of my seat.  I love music, but it seems like my brain can't process it correctly, making me more anxious when I try to listen to it.  If my neighbor is working on some project and is doing just some simple hammering, that will be magnified and will increase my anxiety.  Light...  Sun light is great, it actually makes me feel better, but this time of year the day is shorter from sunrise to sunset, and many of the days are gloomy (this doesn't help me).  I have also noticed that florescent lights seem really bright especially in a crowded, noisy store, and that bothers me.  It's all to much for me when my mind and body are in this sensitized state.  The best to you, Kissa, to all of you...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: