Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Mind Goes Blank  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Quetzal828

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Mind Goes Blank
« on: December 23, 2013, 02:18:08 PM »
In addition to suffering from social anxiety, I'm naturally a rather shy person. A significant challenge I face is when I'm talking to someone and it comes time for me to respond and my mind goes blank. This also happens during lulls in the conversation -- I feel like the onus is on me to say something (since usually I haven't contributed as much to the conversation as the other person), and this creates a pressure-filled situation where I can't think of anything to say. My mind will start freaking out about how I should say something, how the other person will think I'm awkward and shy, etc. I encounter this same problem on the rare occasions when I have to speak in front of a group, but that's another beast.

Sometimes my mind will even go blank during therapy sessions. The psychologist will ask me to elaborate on something and suddenly I'll feel like we're conversing about the technicalities of quantum physics or some other subject I know nothing about.

Any tips for how to overcome this problem?
Bookmark and Share

Offline TressaDras

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mind Goes Blank
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 08:36:27 AM »
I have this exact same problem.  All of a sudden it's like I don't even know my name.
I'm curious to see what others say.
Bookmark and Share

Offline volante

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:29:49 PM »
Hi,

I know EXACTLY what you are going through, I have suffered from this for years,Its all down to anxious feelings.
    Many times my mind goes kind of fuzzy and I cant remember a thing,its not nice I know.

Read my Blog below, look through until you find 'Sorry I cant stop', This may give you some answers or hopefully help you cope with these issues, I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

All the best to you both.
Bookmark and Share
All are welcome to read my personal Blog

www.panicattackandanxietystopped.com

Offline Raefoxx87

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 07:32:40 PM »
I know exactly what you mean. I recently graduated college and it seemed like every time I was called on in class my mind went completely blank or all I could think about was that everyone in there would know how stupid I was so it was better to pretend to not know the answer at all than to say something that I thought was the answer.

By my junior/senior years I finally started to get a bit more comfortable because I would take a moment to just calm myself and get myself to a confident place in my mind and tell myself to relax and not worry about what other people thought...it was ok if I didn't have an answer or it's ok if I don't have the right answer.

I think something that is a problem is thinking you have to have the answer right away...take a minute to breathe and give yourself a minute to think. It's ok if you can't answer immediately.

But man Sometimes it's exhausting to have to work so hard just to answer simple questions because your anxiety makes your mind go blank. I definitely understand your frustration. Now I'm out of college and dealing with social events/parties/meeting people. Sometimes it feels hopeless. But it's really not.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 11:08:31 AM »
It's easy...talk about that...say smth like "you know that time when conversation fadss away and there is that awkard silence and you have pressure to say smth but your kind js complege blank?"...Saying that will achieve 2 things...it eill give you smth to talk abojt because everyone has been in the same situation, and you won't have pressure anymore because whwn you say what you are afraid of fear reduces or goes away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mapatyal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 12:07:31 AM »
I have the same problems.  It is usually when I have to give important info out
Like my phone number or address. I feel like an idiot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 02:16:48 AM »
I've been struggling with this a LOT these past few weeks. I feel that my overwhelming thoughts are blocking my task at hand, I'm really having a hard time focusing at school. My psych said that my Klonopin will help me stay focused, but it just makes me a zombie... and think more.

It's a tough battle. I draw blanks way too much. I feel you there.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline Baz

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 01:30:28 AM »
The same thing used to happen to me but for some reason my mind almost never goes blank anymore. I haven't done anything to help my mind not going blank I think i just out grew it. There is hope even if you don't do anything you might just out grow it like me. Anyway, when I think back to my mind going blank I used to think it was like the end of the world when it happened but now I see it was no big deal.  I think our problem is we make mountains out of molehills. But I understand completely what you are going through.
Bookmark and Share

Offline YoloGirl31

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 11:08:37 AM »
You hit the nail on the head! For me this is the worst part of my anxiety issues. When my mind goes blank my anxiety hits the roof. It usually only lasts until weredone talking but it can be draining on me afterwards. I've been told to breathe and take a moment before talking but it's the pause of not talking that causes my anxiety so that doesn't do anything to help me. Best thing I've found lately ( besides anxiety medicine) is listening to youtube vids on anxiety therapy. For me I felt major changes in a week. I'm not cured but it has cut down on my anxiety like you described by over half! There are many moments lately I forget I even have SA! If your interested in trying just PM me, I'd be happy to let ya know which ones help me the most!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lolita Cruz

• Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 10:11:49 PM »
Wow, I'm just like this. My mind goes blank all the freaking time. It makes me feel like an idiot. I'm pretty shy by nature as well. I feel so much pressure during conversations. In addition to keeping the convo alive with prompt responses, I also feel pressured to give interesting responses. It's like there are all these unspoken rules I'm expected to follow and I can't figure out the "right" way to converse. I know it sounds silly, but that is the way I think during conversations. I realize I'm not much (or any) help. Sorry. This is something I have quite a bit of difficulty with as well. However, there are some good suggestions in the replies...definitely worth considering.
Bookmark and Share
Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Petioptrv

• Mr.
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 03:05:07 PM »
Quetzal828, I have a question for you: what is it exactly that tells you that you're naturally shy in addition to having SA? Do you know people you're comfortable with (friends, family)? Around those people, are you shy? I am only asking because I have the same problem as you and I've debated with myself whether I'm naturally shy or this is a learned behaviour. I've come to the conclusion that I'm really not shy when I get together with my close friends. It's only certain situations and people that trigger it. So, maybe you're putting yourself down unnecessarily.
Bookmark and Share

Online famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 10:10:22 PM »
I feel the same way when I'm talking with strangers.  If I'm talking to family or close friends, I feel like I can be myself and I'm much more relaxed.  However, if I'm talking with a group of mothers I don't know very well, for example, I freeze up.  I actually watch them converse and wonder how they do it.  They look so relaxed and say everything in just the right way.  I, however, can't seem to think of anything to say.

In the past, many people think I'm stuck up and just don't talk with them when in actuality I'm just shy and don't know what to say.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon