Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Major Colon Cancer Fear  (Read 350 times)

Offline cwill011

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Major Colon Cancer Fear
« on: December 23, 2013, 01:04:27 PM »
Hi guys.. Been reading here for a while so I figured I would try it out and post.

Background:

Im a 20 year old male and I am overweight. I am in the process of losing weight in hopes of beating HA. Lately (For the past week) I have been having major stomach pain to the point im doubled over and blood in my stool. It looks like a red racing stripe down the side of the stool and is accompanied by blood in the toilet. Last night I went to the ER and they did a blood test and a CT scan with IV contrast. The ER doctor said my FOB came back positive but he figured it would since he saw blood when he did the DRE. He also said my blood was normal and my CT scan was normal so he figured that the bleeding was coming from the colon or lower. This did nothing but make my fear of colon cancer worse as he stated that I needed to get a colonoscopy ASAP. I keep reading stories of people my age getting colon cancer and I just convinced myself that I have it. Every time I think good thoughts like working my dream job or seeing my infant son grow up thoughts like (You have cancer, you will never see any of this ) keep crossing my mind.

So my question is, what are the chances of me actually having the aliment that I obsess about?

Also, has anybody went through this and was found to only have hemorrhoids or an anal fissure?

Thanks guys in advance.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Vasallus

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Major Colon Cancer Fear
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »
Try to think of it in terms of probability.

What is the probability of getting cancer at your age? Not high.
What is the probability it is something annoying but altogether harmless and treatable? High.

If it is cancer, I doubt it is in the late stages. Meaning it is more easily treatable.

The odds seem to be in your favor, but if your doctor thinks you need to be checked out then definitely do it and hope for the best.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cwill011

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 07:30:12 PM »
Thanks for you reply.

One more question, would a polyp bleed all the time? Like every bowl movement? Dont mean to provide TMI but there is a stripe of blood everytime I strain during evacuation.  There is never blood if I dont strain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »
The presence of blood only when straining very strongly implies haemorrhoids or an anal fissure. However, you must complete the colonoscopy to rule out the presence of anything more sinister.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jbg28

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 08:31:13 PM »
Sounds like divaticulits to me. Or a fissure. Or hemroids. I get specks of blood when I strain clean FOB test. Internal hems and external hems found. I never feel finished after a bowel movement and I have so much noise from my bowels. Flex sig found tiny polyp. Full colonoscopy jan 22. Any other symptoms ??
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »
Yes polyps can cause bleeding every time. Mine did. Every day for six months.  I was 22. I had off and on bleeding for a while before it turned to every day so just because you don't have bleeding every day doesn't mean that it is not a polyp. Get a colonoscopy. If it is a polyp it most likely is not cancer. They do take a while to grow and turn into cancer. Trust me I was terrified. But if I didn't do it, then five years from now, i may have had cancer and wouldn't be able to see my infant son grow up either. Since you only have bleeding when you strain and in the toilet, this does sound like hemorrhoids. Is it rare to have colon cancer in your twenties, yes. Just from personal experience, i encourage anyone at all no matter of age to be cautious of blood in stool. If you do have a polyp at least they found out it and you will be scheduled regular screenings and your chances of ever having it are slim to none.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cwill011

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 09:37:41 PM »
Thanks everyone.. im trying to stay positive because if not im gonna go into full "im going to die" panic mode. This forum is great.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pichooi

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 05:05:59 AM »
No point worrying until you know if there is something to worry about. (Do as I say not as I do lol)
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 08:41:46 AM »
In your age, the doctors wouldn't even consider colon C :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 04:17:54 PM »
That's the bad thing burgundyplace. Doctors assume that a young patient doesn't have polyps or cancer. Is it rare sure. But it does happen.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: