Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: new freckle on finger  (Read 704 times)

Offline qcd

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
new freckle on finger
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »
Hi,

It's been awhile since I've posted here.  Here's a little bit of back story.  Last April I was absolutely convinced I had colon cancer due to a change in my bowel movements.  The change was strange enough that I got a referral to a gastroenterologist, who in turn thought I should have a colonoscopy to be safe.  The colonoscopy showed nothing significant and my symptoms were just yet another manifestation of my ongoing IBS.  I left this experience feeling like I was ready to conquer any health related problem with a rational mind and I was sure the worst of my anxiety was behind me.

Fast forward.  About a week ago I discovered a new freckle on the second joint of my index finger.  By anyone's measure it's small, barely measuring 1mm, almost perfectly round, and brownish in color.  None of these ring the alarm bell for melanoma, but still, it's new. I literally looked down at my hands one day and it was there where no freckle was before.  It's a little darker than my other freckles, probably because it's so new.  But I can't stop worrying about melanoma, even though the rational course of action would be just to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't change. 

Has anyone else had a new freckle suddenly appear out of nowhere?  How did you convince yourself it was benign?
Bookmark and Share
I am not a doctor.  Nothing I say is to be construed as medical advice.  If you feel you are sick you should seek out appropriate medical care.

Offline mrsbell

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: new freckle on finger
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »
I had one appear on the end of my toe. I watched it and went to the Derm for my yearly check. I showed her and told her it was new. She said she wasn't worried about it but would take it off if it would make me feel better. I had her remove it and it was fine. Just keep an eye on it and contact you doc if you notice changes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
New moles can appear throughout your life. A little mole appeared on my big toe when I was a kid. It stayed that way since then but the good thing was that I didn't know what melanoma is back then. ;D Go see a doctor but if it's a little freckle which never changes, I wouldn't think much of it. Monitor it for a while and relax in the mean time.
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 05:00:33 PM »
I don't know. I've had lots of new freckles pop up lately.

Isnt it fairly normal to get new freckles?
Bookmark and Share

Offline qcd

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:15:59 AM »
It is common, I think.  But the fact that it's on my index finger means that I'm constantly reminded of it all the time.  And I don't think it looks like my other freckles, maybe because it hasn't had a chance to fade yet.  Plus I think it looks a little reddish, but that might just be my imagination.
Bookmark and Share
I am not a doctor.  Nothing I say is to be construed as medical advice.  If you feel you are sick you should seek out appropriate medical care.

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:20:07 AM »
If you are concerned, the next time you see a dermatologist, than I would mention it to him/her, as this may ease your worries.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline karachondria

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Hi. I'm a teenage hypochondriac. I'm here to help💕
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 12:15:08 PM »
Freckles are perfectly normal how do you think they get there in the first place? :)
Especially from sunlight
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 12:23:03 PM »
How old are you? I'm 32 and recently notice new freckles on my calf and my chin. I showed them to my gp and she wasn't concerned. She said they are just from age and getting older. My calves haven't been exposed to any sunshine in months so I was very fingered whm I noticed 2 new freckles ...especially when I googled n read that the calve are the most common place for melanoma in women...bad idea!
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got - Graffito

Offline qcd

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 08:45:14 PM »
I'm 31.  Did your new freckles look any different from your other freckles?  Mine looks different in that I think it's darker in color.  It almost looks like a tiny scab but it isn't.  It's very symmetric with very sharp, well-defined borders.  But it just appeared out of the blue one day...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 01:42:42 AM »
Yes, mine are darker too, and they are quite big, oval in shape.
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got - Graffito

Tags: