Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Convincing yourself you're dying is so exhausting. Or is it just me?  (Read 510 times)

Offline CammyCam

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So I convince myself on a daily basis that I am going to suffer a massive allergic reaction to something/anything and die... Or that I am suffering from an undiagnosed heart condition and I'm going to die.
Symptoms: feels like throat closing, swelling. Can't breath or swallow. Tingly lips. Rapid pulse, chest pains, pins and needles, heart palpitations, feeling like my heart has stopped/is slowing.

It is exhausting thinking every day is going to be your last. I'm 25 I hope to stick around a lot longer.

I can't sleep because I think I won't wake up. I can't eat in case I have an allergy to whatever I'm eating.

My husband doesn't understand.

I'm not the only one am I??!!!
Bookmark and Share
I didn't want normal until I didn't have it anymore....

Offline mrsbell

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Convincing yourself you're dying is so exhausting. Or is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 10:41:32 AM »
Nope, not the only one.  I feel your pain.  It's awful, isn't it?  I start taking Cymbalta tonight.  I hope it helps me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
I feel the same way-but my fear is specific cancers.  I also have weird symptons-stuffy nose,backache,adom pain,weird bms,achey ankles-so my mind goes to dying of cancer.  All my tests are good-every one out there.  I'm can,t seem to move past it.  I go to a counslerbut i feel like i,m wasting my money.  Any  hints to feel better?
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxious_brit

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:51:28 AM »
I'm there with ya. Except my fear is heart related. I really don't no how to fully get past it.
Bookmark and Share
"The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live"

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline CammyCam

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
I lie in bed and my heart goes all funny and I am so convinced im going to die that I get really worked up and it just makes it worse. The only thing I find remotely helps is sucking ice cubes... Gives me something to concentrate on and makes my mouth hurt so I stop thinking about my heart. It is so exhausting constantly thinking I'm going to die any second.

I've had lots of ECG's and tests but I convince myself they've missed something. I'm sure I've got something wrong with me. I am totally convinced I'm not going to make my 30th birthday.  I hate it. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 02:35:33 PM »
It is very exhausting. I'm a firm believer that health anxiety is one of the worst anxieties out there. There is not much worse than convincing yourself you're going to die all of the time.  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline anxious_brit

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »
I thought I was the only one who sucked on ice. It does help as distraction.
Bookmark and Share
"The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live"

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline CammyCam

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 03:23:01 PM »
What's very hard to deal with is the fact that people I love and care about don't understand. I don't hold it against them but to hear them say "well of course you're not dying, don't be silly!" Makes me want to bang my head against a wall! I don't feel like this because I want to! If I could just snap out of it I would! That constant fear! Constantly analysing every small thing my body does just in case it's something that will cause me to die a slow and painful death.. I don't enjoy going to hospital convinced I'm having a heart attack when I'm not. I don't enjoy refusing certain activities or foods JUST IN CASE!! Will it ever go away??!!  I'm 25, don't think I can cope with this feeling forever :(

(Ice cubes are a small little miracle for me! I'm so glad someone else finds it beneficial too)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 03:27:10 PM »
I know how you feel. It feels like no one understands but this feeling preoccupies my mind 24/7. I have have ongoing headaches with pain/tension at the back of my head for over three weeks now. I don't have any other symptoms but occasional nausea. I've been put on betablockers for high bp and I don't know if they're helping as my bp is 126/85. I am scared of waking up to this feeling but it seems to appear every single day when the headache appears. Paracetamol and ibuprofen haven't helped and neither has a head massage. I'm at a loss because I'm convinced it must be a brain tumour as what else can it be? How can anxiety cause this headache? How do I make it stop? I sometimes even resign myself to the fact that's what it is and planned how I would tell people and cope etc. it's ridiculous and exhausting and it's Christmas. I want this feeling to go away :-(
Bookmark and Share

Offline CammyCam

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 03:35:13 PM »
I'm hoping that the distraction of Christmas will be a welcome break from the overwhelming and constant anxiety attacks, but I don't think anxiety knows it's Christmas (or cares!)

Mine kick in the worst as I get into bed and start to try and wind down. I think it's because I'm still and quiet so super aware of my body and what it's doing. Recently I've work up gasping for air because it's felt like my heart has stopped.

I've always been quite a strong person, but I'm beginning to feel somewhat defeated. A bit like you Natsab I've given into the thought that I might not be around long and it's terrifying.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 03:36:25 PM »
I don't enjoy going to hospital convinced I'm having a heart attack when I'm not. I don't enjoy refusing certain activities or foods JUST IN CASE!!

Ugh, I relate to this so much. I have been worrying about my liver for a few weeks now, and so I haven't drank any alcohol, and I've also been afraid to eat chocolate and mushrooms because they're supposed to be avoided with one of the liver diseases I worry about. Alcohol, chocolate, and mushrooms are some of my favorite things! But I'm scared all of the time! But my doctors told me not to worry about my liver *AT ALL*, so I keep thinking I should just eat and drink them anyways because they never said not to... but then I think *what if.* Horrible. I'm depriving myself of the things I enjoy most in the best years of my life because I'm worried about something that in all likelihood isn't real.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline CammyCam

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 03:40:58 PM »
I totally am the same. I have convinced myself that I am going to form a lethal allergy to certain foods, so I now avoid them completely. I don't know how I rationalise which to avoid but it's taking the pleasure out of everything. I am beginning to avoid eating out completely just in case there's something in my good which might set me off. Throat tightening, lips tingling, gasping for breath (and I'm not dead yet so I'm sure it's just my brain playing tricks)  Grrr stupid brain :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vasallus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 04:15:42 PM »
My worries started at my heart then went to my brain, and now I'm on my digestive system. I wonder where my mind will take my next?
Bookmark and Share

Offline CammyCam

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
My worries started at my heart then went to my brain, and now I'm on my digestive system. I wonder where my mind will take my next?

It's certainly an adventure! The most unpleasant and terrifying adventure I've ever known. People say the human brain is an amazing thing....  It is...But it's also very mean to its host!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »
Worry is more exhausting than work or exercise.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: