Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Sick with fear over family history  (Read 158 times)

Offline myWorldofWorry

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sick with fear over family history
« on: December 22, 2013, 10:53:08 AM »
I know it's close to the holidays and everyone must be busy, but if anyone has a minute to offer support, I am a real mess today. I have a very awful fear of scleroderma or something similar, due to some health problems I have that can be linked with connective tissue stuff. My family doc has long said I don't have what I fear, but at the same time I have no answers for my health issues, so I continue to worry. This year I went to a rheumatologist and had A LOT of blood tests, all normal. But of course I worry about the fact that these types of illnesses can sometimes be hard to detect.

Up until recently, I didn't think I had any sort of family history of connective tissue disease. But then I just learned that my late grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis. I always thought she had osetoarthritis, so this was news to me. And then yesterday my cousin on the same side of the family posted something online about having sjogren's, another type of connective tissue disease. So now I am freaking out, sick with fear that I have inherited a predisposition for this sort of stuff. Ever since I read what my cousin wrote, I have been absolutely nauseated from the anxiety - it is so bad. It is just days before Christmas, and I am a complete basketcase. I don't know how to pull it together. It was bad enough having medical issues that can be linked to connective tissue stuff, but now with the family history I feel like of course that is what's wrong with me, and I just can't seek much solace in my negative bloodwork. I am such a wreck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sick with fear over family history
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 12:15:26 PM »
I'm sorry you are feeling so anxious.  I can certainly relate to you though.  You've been to your rheumatologist and have received negative results.  He would know if you have an auto immune disease or not.  He said you don't, so I think you really have to believe him.  HA people are notorious for self diagnosis, me included.  I have a small blistery patch of skin under my nose and I've been to a walk in clinic twice this week.  It just won't go away.  The doctor told me it was infected hair follicles, but of course, I think it is something much worse. We are our own worse enemies.

Are you having symptoms right now?  I know it is difficult, but try to believe the doctor and just enjoy Christmas.  To all of us having a better 2014!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Catesykes

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Scared!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »
I sympathise. My Grandmother had an overactive thyroid which is another auto immune condition therefore was told I may be susceptible to a range of autoimmune stuff and was tested for all kinds of antibodies and long story short have nothing (apart from a mild sticky blood condition that only affects me in pregnancy.) I saw a rheumatologist who said I definitely had nothing. Ask yourself - do you feel well? If the answe is yes. You will not have connective tissue disorders. To put your mind at rest get tested for the various antibodies. Just because you have family members with conditions doesn't mean you will get them! I drove myself nuts over it. Incidentally my grandmother lived to 95 with no real other health concerns and they are looking at antibodies found in lupus patients to cure cancer so it's not all bad!!!! Relax- you are fine!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline myWorldofWorry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 12:35:49 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies. I don't feel well, which is a big part of the problem. I have a stomach condition that can sometimes be related to connective tissue stuff. I also have neuropathy of unknown origin that causes me chronic pain. But I have had a ton of autoimmune antibody tests, along with inflammatory marker tests and other related stuff. The rheumatologist ordered me 7 pages of blood work, with so many different types of antibody tests. Everything was normal, but of course I still worry I am one of those cases where the antibodies haven't developed. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I don't want to fear this forever.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: